- Text Size +

After I broke up with Nick, I never did go back to Florida. Did you notice a pattern in my life? I tend to run away and hide from life when it gets hard. I am trying to break myself of that pattern. I hadn’t seen Nick for two years. I kept up with what was going on in his life. He was currently dating Kalla Montgomery. She was an up and coming singer touring as the opening act with the Backstreet Boys. I was close with Alex, and he kept me up to date on Nick. I know that I should have moved on, but my heart wouldn’t let me.

I graduated a year early from high school. This was due to the fact that I was homeschooled and worked through the summers. I took a few classes at the University of Kentucky. In the fall, I would be moving to Tampa to go to the University of Tampa. I wanted to be a teacher. Alex told me I picked that college to be closer to Nick. Subconsciously, that might have been true, but I just wanted to be back in Florida. This summer I was going on tour with my brother. I was excited, but not looking forward to seeing Nick with his girlfriend.

I got into my rental car and started driving into Orlando. I was meeting Kevin and the guys at warehouse where they were rehearsing. It felt good to be back. I was excited to see everyone. I pulled in the parking lot and got out.  

“Hey girl! You look beautiful.” Alex walked over to me. My looks had changed in the last two years. I finally stopped growing. My black hair was to my mid back and cut into layers. I got my braces off and my body developed. I look like a woman with sexy curves.

“Thanks. You’re not to bad yourself.” I pulled him into a hug.

“It’s likes you’re a woman now.” I punched him in the arm.

“Alex, I am a woman. Just don’t let Kevin hear that.”

We walked in the warehouse and went to the dance studio. Kevin and Howie were relaxing. Brian was practicing his dance moves. Nick was currently making out with a blonde bombshell that was sitting on his lap.

“Sis. Glad you made it safe. I missed you.” Kevin jumped up and gave me a hug.

“Hello Ashton. You’ve grown up to become a beautiful young woman.” Howie smiled at me.

It felt good to be back. I walked over to Brian. “Boo!” He jumped and turned around.

“Hey, dorkface! I’ve missed you.” He swung me around.

“Guys it’s time to go over the set.” Johnny Wright announced. Nick’s girlfriend got off his lap and patted his ass as he walked away. I rolled my eyes. That was just gross.

I sat and watched the guys. They had improved tremendously since the last time I saw them perform. I watched Nick intently. He was no longer a little boy. He had grown taller than me. He looked manlier. My insides stirred. I still loved him. He stared at my with his ocean blue eyes. I stared right back at him. We held eye contact for at least a minute before he looked away. His girlfriend walked into the room and sat down next to me.

“Hi, I’m Ashton, Kevin’s little sister and Brian’s cousin.” I put my hand out.

“I know who you are. You were Nick’s first girlfriend. He’s over you, so don’t you even think about getting him back.” She wouldn’t shake my hand.

“I would never try to break you and Nick up. I’m sure you are the perfect couple.”

I sat quietly watching the guys. I couldn’t stand Kalla. She wasn’t what I expected Nick to date. She had dyed blonde hair with extensions to make it look longer, big boobs that hung out of her shirt, and jeans so low you could see her thong. It was not pretty. What was Nick thinking? She was the total opposite of me. I was wearing a bright green sundress with a white sweater over top and cute black sandals. I was plain compared to Kalla. She had enough make up on for three people.

-------------------------------

After rehearsal, we decided to all go out for dinner. We went to my favorite restaurant Lorenzo’s. It was a small Italian restaurant near Kevin’s house.

“So what have you been up to?”

“Well, I started college last fall. I took some classes at UK, and I’m transferring to the University of Tampa in the fall.” Nick looked at me. I smiled at him.

“That’s great. What’s your major?” Howie asked.

“Elementary education. I love kids.”

Nick and Kalla were whispering. She kept looking my way, so I knew she was talking about me. She pulled Nick’s face close to her and started kissing him.

“So what’s new with all of you?”

“I’m dating a great girl. Her name is Paige.”

“Howie, I’m so happy for you. You deserve a nice woman.”

“Alex and I are moving in together.”

“Are you sure you want to live with him. He’s a slob.” I teased my cousin.

“Ha ha ha, Ashton. You’re so funny.” Alex punched me in the arm.

“Kevy, he’s picking on me.” I pouted.

“You’re old enough to fight your own battles.” He laughed.

“Remind me of that when I that when I have a boyfriend.”

“That doesn’t count. I will protect you and your heart from a guy.” He looked at Nick. Nick put his head down. Kalla gave me a dirty look and started rubbing Nick’s back. She always had to be touching him. It was disgusting. We all knew they were a couple. She didn’t have to flaunt it in our faces. Nick had his chance with me and blew it. I still cared about him, but I didn’t want him back.

“Nicky are you ready to go home. I want to spend some alone time with you.” She said loudly looking at me. Then she kissed his neck. I can’t believe she would do that in public. Nick didn’t seem to mind. He nodded his head and got up.

“See you guys tomorrow. Nice seeing you Ashton.” He took her hand and left the restaurant.