- Text Size +

“There going to announce the homecoming court at the pep rally today.” Kiki said as she sat down at the lunch table.

“Missy you know you’re going to be part of the court.” Jamie replied

“You think? There are so many girls in our grade.”

“Missy, you’re beautiful. I think you’ll get on the court.” I replied.

School was going well. It wasn’t great, but I was surviving. My classes were easy, and I felt bored most days. Colorguard was fun. I had made a few friends, but no one I would consider a best friend. Homecoming was coming up in two weeks. The buzz around school was who was going to be on the court. At the end of the day we were having a pep rally and finding out who was on the court. The day dragged on. I was ready to go home.

“Let’s Go Commodores Let’s Go!” Yelled the cheerleaders. The student body started screaming and cheering for the football team. I was waiting on the side of the gym waiting to perform.

“Before the band plays their last song. We’re going to announce 1993 homecoming court.” Principal Mitchell yelled over the crowd. Everyone erupted into a fit of whoops and yells.

“Hello, everyone. As senior class president, I am excited to be announcing this year’s court. Our freshman attendants are Hilary Smith and Briana Mc Connell. Come on down girls. Sophomore attendants are Sandy Choo and Megin Todd. Junior attendants are Hope Sinclair and Jenna Quinn. Senior attendants are Beth Martin and Sadie Grover. Now the moment you’ve been waiting for…drum roll please. Maid of Honor is senior Jamie Coyle and this year’s Homecoming Queen is Missy White.”

All of the girls ran to their spot in the middle of the gym. Students everyone were cheering and screaming. It was crazy. I was happy for Missy and her friend Jamie. It was exciting to know someone on the court. Though I really didn’t what all the fuss was about. No wonder I didn’t fit in here.

-----------------------------------------------

(In Orlando)

“Can you believe we start touring tomorrow?” Brian asked the guys. They were taking a dinner break. The boys had been rehearsing all day for the upcoming school tour.

“It’s going to be so much fun.” Alex replied.

“I can’t wait to go home and perform for my school.”

“Kevin are you excited to go home?” Nick asked.

“Yeah. I miss my family. Lou said you can stay at mine or Brian’s house.” He opened the pizza box and took out a slice of pizza.

“Can I stay with Brian?” Nick asked eagerly. He was becoming good friends with the older boy.

“Sure. I talked to Ashton. The homecoming dance is that weekend Brian. Are you going with Missy?”

“Of course. She’s the homecoming queen. I can’t wait. Do you know if Ashton has a date?”

“No date for her. Mom says she’s having a rough time fitting in at school.”

“That sucks.”

-------------------------------------------------------

I was working on some notes for my history class, when the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Ashy.”

“Bri. How are you?” I placed my notes on the floor and stretched out on the bed.

“Doing well. I can’t wait to see you in two weeks.”

“I’m so excited to see you. Missy misses you a lot. You’re all she ever talks about. Are you taking her to homecoming?”

“Yes, I’m going to the dance with her. Are you going?”

“No. I’m just a freshman Bri. No one wants to take me.” I sighed. Boys never looked my way.

“You don’t have to go with a date.” He remarked. Boys never understood. You couldn’t just go to a semi-formal dance by yourself. I was already a geek. I didn’t need to give anyone any ammunition to pick on me. It was easier to be non-existent than a girl that got picked on.

“There will be other dances. I’m not really worried about it.”

“I want you to go, so you can hang with me.” Alex grabbed the phone from Brian. Brian gave him a look.

“Hello AJ.”

“Hi AJ. Where did Brian go?”

“He had something important to do.” Alex shooed Brian away.

“Oh, so how are you?”

“Good. I heard there’s a dance coming up at your school.”

“Yeah, the homecoming dance, but I’m not going.” I told him.

“Why not?”

“I don’t have a date and it will be boring.”

“That a shame, but good news for me.”

“Why is that good news for you?” I asked curiously.

“Well, I like to dance and I don’t want to spend all my time with the guys. I thought that maybe I could escort you to your homecoming dance.” He asked sincerely. I took a minute to think about it. I hardly knew Alex, but it would be fun to go to the biggest social event of the football season.

“I would love to AJ.” I smiled.

“Great. I will pickup you up at….” He paused. Alex didn’t know what time it started.

“The dance starts at eight. You can pick me up at my house.” I told him.

“What do I need to wear?”

“It’s a semi formal. You can wear a shirt and tie. Thank you AJ.” I meant it sincerely. I really wanted to go to the dance. He made it possible.

“Your welcome, AJ. Sweet dreams.”

I placed the phone on its cradle. I was excited about the dance. I needed a dress. The dance was only two weeks away.

“MOM!!!” I screamed. She walked into my room looking a little annoyed.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scream. Can we go dress shopping this weekend?”

“Sure. What are you getting a dress for?”

“Brian and Kevin’s friend AJ is going to take me to the homecoming dance.” I smiled at her.

“That is great, Ashton. I’m so happy for you.”

We talked a few more minutes, and then my mom left. I laid down and fell into a peaceful sleep.