- Text Size +

The sun was just starting to rise as I started to sweep the horse barn. It was Saturday, and I had to get my chores done. Tonight was the homecoming dance. I was excited especially since I had a date. It really wasn’t a date. I was going with Brian’s friend who I met once. Still, it was going to be the best night of my life.

“Hey there, peanut.” I looked up and saw my brother Jerald.

“Hey big bro. What are you doing here?”

“I told mom I would help with the horses.” He said with a goofy grin.

“I thought you came on Mondays and Thursday. I never see you on Saturdays.”

“That’s because his little sister is going to her first homecoming dance.” Tim replied walking into the barn. I rolled my eyes.

“Oh is that tonight?” He smacked Tim on the back of his head.

“You guys are so embarrassing. You really don’t need to be there.”

“We wouldn’t want to miss it.”

I continued to sweep the barn, while waiting for Tim and Jerald to take the horses to the field. I was not fond of horses. They saddled up and took Midnight and Mary Poppins for a ride. I started mucking Mary Poppins stall. I cleaned out the horse poop. Then I put fresh water and food in the stall. Then I climbed up to the hay loft. I sat down for a minute to rest. Working in the barn was hard work. I enjoyed it except for the horses.

“Ashton where are you?” Tim yelled for me.

“I’m getting hay from the loft.” I yelled back. I grab a bale of hay and threw it down. Then I got another one and did the same thing. Quickly I climbed down the ladder.

“It’s almost noon. Kevin should be here soon and you need to start getting ready for your date.” Jerald teased me.

“It’s not a date.”

“If you’re going with a guy then it’s a date.”

“It’s Not A Date!!!” I yelled and punched him in the arm.

I grabbed the hay and started putting it in the stalls. As soon as I finished I ran down to the house. When I went inside I heard voices. I saw Kevin, Howie, and Nick.

“Hey Kevy.” I gave him a hug. “Hi Howie. Hi Nick.”

“Eww what’s that smell?” Nick asked Kevin. I rolled my eyes at him.

“I was working in the barn.”

“Can you believe AJ is going out with that mess?” Nick whispered to Howie. He didn’t think I heard him. I gave him a dirty look. I did look horrible. I was wearing denim overalls, a long sleeve white t-shirt and cowboy boots. My hair was a mess; it was sticking up in all directions with a few pieces of hay in it. My face and glasses were smudged with dirt.

“Nick shut up. She can hear you.” Howie whispered back.

“Well I have to go get ready. See you later.” I dashed out of the room

---------------------------------------------------

I was sitting at my vanity while my mom curled my hair.

“Mom will I ever be pretty?”

“Ashton, you’re a beautiful girl. Why would you even ask that?” I shrugged.

“I don’t know. I see all the girls at school. They are pretty and boys like them.”

“Ashton, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. True beauty isn’t about looks.”

“That may be so, but mom high school is about how you look on the outside.”

“You’ve never worried about this before. Why now?”

“I hear what people say about me. I’m the geek or the weird girl. Everyone has a comment about me. I just get tired of it.” I said sadly.

“Do you like who you are?” My mom asked me.

“Yes, I do. It’s just hard to be different than everyone else. I just wish I was like everybody else sometimes. I want to go out on dates and have boyfriends.”

“That will come with time. Myaybe something will happen between you and Alex.” She smiled at me as she clipped up my hair in a fancy barrette.

“Mom, he’s Kevin’s friend. He just felt sorry for me, so he asked me out. Mom, my hair looks so pretty. Thank you.” I kissed her on the cheek and went to put on my dress.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I could hear the voices in the living room. For some reason I was nervous. I guess it was because no one has seen me all dressed up. Slowly I walked down the stairs and walked into the living room.

“Hello.” My brothers turned around.

“Wow!”

“Ashton you look fantastic!” Kevin whistled at me. I gave him a smile.

“Are you sure you’re my little sister? Jerald teased me.

“Hi Ashton. You look beautiful tonight. I got this corsage for you.” I held my arm out and Alex put it on my wrist.

“Ashton you look very pretty in that dress.” Howie complimented me. I was wearing a dark purple dress with a chiffon skirt that went to my knees.

“Sweetheart, look how those boys complimented you. You are just as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside.” My mom whispered in my ear. It made me smile.

“Hopefully she doesn’t smell like she did earlier. That was so gross. At least she fixed her hair and put clean clothes on.” Nick blurted out. My good mood was ruined. Why did this boy think he could say mean things to me? He didn’t even know me.

“Nick that was uncalled for.” Kevin glared at Nick.

“Sorry.” He looked at his shoes. He was startled by how she changed since earlier in the day.

“Ignore him. He’s not worth it, Ashton. He just jealous he’s not old enough to date.” Alex whispered in my ear. I smiled. Alex was going to be a great friend.

Brian and Missy walked into the living room. She looked beautiful in her blue dress. I wished I could look like that.

“Ashton, I didn’t recognize you. You look stunning.”

“Thanks Bri.”

We posed for pictures and got ready to leave.

“Don’t put any moves on my sister or you’re a dead man.” Jerald yelled as we walked out the door.