- Text Size +

I got out of bed and ran to bathroom. My head went to the toilet and I proceeded to throw up. When I was done, I sat on the floor. There was no energy left in my body.  I had no urge to move. I had never felt this sick in my entire life. The nausea wouldn’t go away. Slowly, I crawled back to my bedroom. It seemed to take at least twenty minutes to get back to my room. By the time I crawled into bed, I had to run to the bathroom.

After vomiting for the second time this morning, I fell asleep on the bathroom floor. Sage had to wake me up.

“Ashton, are you okay?”

I slowly opened my eyes and looked at Sage.

“I feel like crap.”

“You look horrible. What’s wrong?”

I slowly sat up and became nauseous again. My head went to the toilet. Sage gave me a wet wash cloth to wipe my face.

“Ashton how long have you been sick?”

“About a week here and there. It starts in the morning, but I feel better by the afternoon.”

“What are your symptoms?” Sage gave me a look. She was really annoying me by playing doctor.

“Nauseous, tired, vomiting”

“When was your last period?”

“Sage would you stop playing doctor. I don’t think it’s funny. I feel like shit and you aren’t making me feel any better.” I snapped at her.

“Excuse me, Ashton. I was trying to be a friend. Have you ever thought you might be pregnant? I mean all you and Nick do is have sex.”  She walked out of the bathroom.

Quickly, I got up and followed Sage to her room.

“Hand me your calendar.”

Sage gave me her calendar. I flipped through it, calculating my last period. It couldn’t be possible. I double checked. Panic was setting in. I couldn’t be pregnant. Nick and I were careful. We used protection every single time.

“Are you okay Ashton?” Sage looked really concerned.

“No. I missed my period for this month.” Tears started falling from my eyes. I couldn’t deal with this.

“You need to talk to Nick about this. If you are pregnant it’s both of your responsibilities. Go call him.”

“I…I…cccaan’ttt. He’s a..a..t..tt practice.” I sobbed.

“What time is his practice over?”

“Five.”

“Here’s what you’re going to do. Go back to bed. When you wake up you can call Nick and talk to him.” I nodded and walked back into my room.

------------------------

I couldn’t break down and call Nick. I was afraid to tell him that I might be pregnant. What if he dumped me? What if it ruined his career?

“Well are you going to call him?” Sage questioned me.

“No.” I looked out the window. I was feeling better. I didn’t even feel sick.

“Ashton are you crazy? He needs to know. If you are having a baby, he is just as responsible as you.”

I ignored Sage even though I knew she was right. I wanted to put this whole situation out of my mind.

“Whatever Ashton. I think you are being stupid. You need to grow up and face reality. This situation might not go away. You need to tell him.”

“Leave me alone. It’s none of your business. Worry about yourself.” I got up and walked to my bedroom. I slammed the door. I wished Sage would leave me alone.

----------------------------

I was wallowing in pity. I couldn’t believe Sage. It was none of her business. If I wanted to tell Nick, I would tell him. I was still trying to process the thought that I might be pregnant. I didn’t need Nick freaking out about it.

I sat on the couch watching reruns of Saved by the Bell. I was enjoying watching Zach Morris and AC Slater.  The sound of someone pounding on the door brought me out of my thoughts. I tried to ignore it, but the person kept pounding.

“Open up the door.”

“What do you want?”

“Ashton, let me in.”

“Leave me alone Nick.” I started to shake. What was he doing at my dorm?

“I’m not leaving. We need to talk. Sage said your sick.”

“I can’t believe she called you.” I said as I opened the door and went back to the couch.

“Ashy, what’s wrong?”

“I’m sure Sage filled you in since she thinks she’s my mother.”

Nick sat next to me. He wrapped me in his arms. I felt safe in his arms.

“She told me you think you’re pregnant. Ashton, I love you no matter what.”

“I’m scared Nick. We’re both so young. You have your career, but I’m still in school. I don’t think I could be a mom at this point in my life.” I sobbed into his chest.

He rubbed my back trying to calm me down.

“I’m scared as hell. We’ll just deal with whatever happens. I love you no matter what. Nothing will ever change that. I bought you a pregnancy test.”

“Nick, I’m sorry. This wasn’t supposed to happen. I can’t believe you bought a pregnancy test.”

“Well, I would do anything for you. Now go pee on that stick.” He kissed my forehead.

A few minutes later, Nick and I sat in the bathroom waiting to see the results. Our fate would be determined by a stupid stick I peed on. I didn’t want to look at it.

“Nick, time is up. I don’t want to look. Will you do it?”

“Sure.” He picked up the stick and looked at it carefully. He didn’t say anything for a moment.  His face showed no emotion. I waited in anticipation to see if I was pregnant or not.