- Text Size +

“If my family acts inappropriate, please don’t think I act that way.” Nick stated as we waited for someone to answer the door.

“Nick, I love you no matter what.” I squeezed his hand.

After a few minutes of waiting, Nick tried opening the door. It was locked.

“God damn it. They knew we were coming for dinner and they aren’t even home.” He got the key from under the mat and unlocked the door.

I didn’t know what to say or do. I felt bad for Nick. His parents weren’t showing me that they cared.

“Nicky, sorry we weren’t around when you got here. I had to run to pick up dinner.” Jane smiled sheepishly. Nick’s younger brother walked in holding two pizza boxes.

“That’s fine mom.”

“So who is this beautiful woman with you, Nicky?”

“Mom this is Ashton Richardson, my girlfriend.” I smiled at her.

“Nice to meet you Mrs. Carter.”

“Same here darling. Well, let’s go into the kitchen and get dinner.”

Nick rolled his eyes. He couldn’t believe the scene before him. His mother was a nutcase. She couldn’t even make a nice meal. She had to buy pizza.

We followed Jane into the kitchen. Aaron was already devouring the pizza.

“Airboy, this is Ashton.”

“Hi Aaron! It’s nice to meet you.”

“You are smokin’ hot. No wonder Nick likes you. I can sing better than him. You wanna hear?” He bounced around.

“Cut it out, Aaron.”

“Well eat up.” Jane didn’t even offer us a plate. “You want a beer?”

“No thank you, Mrs. Carter.” She pulled a can out from the refrigerator.

“You’re loss. So, Nick says you are in college.”

“Yes, I’m studying to be a teacher.”

“What kind of career is that? You are going to be broke. My son is going to be rich and famous. He doesn’t need a girl to provide for. You need to get a real career. With your beauty, you could be a model.” She rattled on.

“Mrs. Carter, I don’t plan on having Nick provide for me. I am quite capable of that.” I replied politely. Nick was right, she was loony.

“Mom, cut it out. I’m not even famous yet.”

“But you will be someday Nicky. You will have your heart’s desire. All the money, fame and women.”

“I have the woman of my dreams. Mom can we talk about something else besides my future career? Where are BJ, Leslie, and Angel?”

“Umm…well I think BJ is with some friends. Leslie and Angel are with your dad.” She took a swig of her beer.

“Did you even tell them I was coming?” Nick gritted his teeth. He was becoming frustrated with his mom. I couldn’t blame him. She was a scatterbrain and only seemed interested in how much money he would have once he was famous.

“Oh, I forgot. I got so busy. Aaron has been singing and going to auditions.”

“How hard is it for you to tell everyone I was coming home to visit? You do this every time mom.” I reached for his hand and squeezed it.

“Nick, you are not the only important thing in this family. I have a busy schedule. I’m sorry I forgot.” She didn’t even look sorry.

“I’ll be back. I need to use the restroom.” Nick left me alone with his mother in the kitchen.

“Listen here, Miss Flavor of the Month. If you fuck with Nick’s career there will be hell to pay. You may seem all sweet and innocent, but I know your nothing but a slut after my son’s fame.” She spat at me.

“Mrs. Carter, I assure that none of that is true. I don’t care if Nick is rich or not. I like him because he’s Nick. I don’t appreciate you calling me name.” I remained calm even though I was fuming inside.

“I don’t care what the hell you like or don’t like. I wish you would leave Nick alone. He’d be better off without you. You have nothing to offer him.”

“I’m sorry you feel that way.”

Nick walked into the room, and I pretended to enjoy Mrs. Carter’s company.

“Nick you have the nicest girlfriend. She is sweet and pretty. I think you two are perfect for each other.”

“Thanks mom. We need to leave. I will talk to you soon.” Nick grabbed my hand and we left his house. I was never so happy to get away from someone.

------------

Nick pulled up to the beach. Quietly we got out of the car and sat down on the sand. After a few minutes of silence, Nick finally spoke.

“I’m sorry you had to witness my mother.” He wouldn’t even look at me.

“Nick, it’s okay.”

“No it’s not okay. She was embarrassing. I don’t want you to think I was brought up like that. It wasn’t always like that.” He said wistfully.

“Nick, I love you no matter what. You must have been brought up right. Look how you turned out. You are the sweetest, kindest, generous guy I ever met. You treat me like a princess. I’m grateful everyday that you are in my life.” I kissed him on the cheek.

“Ashy, I love you so much. You never judge me and accept me for who I am. I heard what my mom said to you. I am sorry. She had no right to say that.”

“I tuned her comments out because they aren’t true. We know the truth and how we feel about each other. No one, not even your mom or Kevin can change our love.”

“I can’t believe you were so courteous to her. She was such a bitch to you.”

“Enough about your mom. Kiss me and never stop.”