- Text Size +

Christmas with the Richardson’s was an experience. I think Nick thought we were nuts. Well he was kind of right. We loved spending Christmas together. This year it was Kevin, my mom, and I.

“Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la la, la la la la la la la laaaaa.” I sang.

“I think you put in too many la’s.” Nick smiled at me.

“I know. I always mess this song up.” I kissed him.

“Save it for the mistletoe.” My mom teased.

“Sorry Mrs. Richardson.” Nick apologized quickly.

“Nickolas, there’s no need to apologize. You make a great couple. I see so much loved between the two of you.  You make my daughter happy and that is all that matters.”

“Mom, I love you.” I mouthed to her. She accepted Nick so quickly.

We all sat on the couch, waiting for Nia and Kevin to appear from the kitchen with cookies.

It was a wonderful day. Mom, Nia, and I cooked a delicious meal of ham, potatoes, turkey, stuffing, etc. You name it we made it. We were going to have leftovers for the next year. Then we opened presents. It was a happy day with everyone I loved.

“Sorry, Kevin was trying to eat all the cookies before he got out here.” Nia teased.

They both sat down on the love seat. Nia looked positively giddy, and Kevin was smiling like the Cheshire Cat.

“What is up with both of you?” I asked.

“We’re getting married!” Nia shrieked.

My mom and ran over to see her ring. It was a beautiful princess cut diamond. I was so happy for my brother and Nia. They deserved all the happiness in the world.

“It’s beautiful. I’m so happy I have a sister now. I get tired of all those boys being around.”

“Kevin, you’re growing up. I am so proud of you.” My mom hugged Kevin. Tears were pouring down her eyes.

I looked over at Nick. He looked so uncomfortable. I walked over to him and grabbed his handle. We quickly snuck outside to the patio.

“Is everything okay Nick?”

“Yeah. I just wish I had this with my family.”

“I know Nick. It sucks that your family is the way they are.”

“I know. I just wish they cared a little more about me and not just my career. I wish I had a mom like yours.” He raked his hands through his hair.

“Nick my mom adores you. She told me how sweet you were. She says she can really tell you love me. Nick as long as we are together, my mom is your mom.” I took his hand in mine.

“Wow. Your mom loves you. My mom only cares about my career. I wish she could relax and get to know you. I hate that she calls you names.”

“It does hurt, but Nick I love you too much to care about what your mama thinks. I know you love me and that is all that matters.”

Nick pulled me in close to him. We stood there cuddling in the silence of Christmas night. We didn’t need words to describe how we felt. We shared a closeness that didn’t need words.

“You can spend more time with my mom when we go to Canada. We can go to lunch. She would love to get to know you better.”

“That would cool.”

“It would. I have told her a lot about you. She thinks you are sweet and romantic.” I rubbed his back.

“You don’t tell her everything? I mean not about our sex life.” He asked seriously. I chuckled.

“Definitely not. I don’t think that’s a conversation I am willing to have with my mom.  Our hot and wonderful sex life is between you and me in the sheets.” I teased and placed a kiss on his lips.

“Well it’s not always between the sheets, baby girl.”

“That’s all in the semantics. We better go inside before Kevin sends a search party for us.

We walked into the kitchen. My mom was standing by the stove making tea. Nick smiled and went into the living room.

“Ahh…young love. It’s such a sweet time in life.” My mom sighed.

“I love him so much mom.”

“I can tell. I think you found your soul mate. You remind me of your dad and me when we fell in love.”

“Really?”

“Yes, nothing could keep us apart. I wanted to spend all my time with your dad. He was always finding ways to touch me. He had to always feel me near him.”

“I guess Nick is like that.”

“Honey, he’s always playing with your hair, holding your hand, rubbing your arm or leg. I think it’s sweet. So many things can be said with just a touch.”

“Mom, you get it. Kevin gets annoyed by it. Our friends tease us. Thank you for understanding.” I knew my mom would understand my relationship the best.

“I saw how you two embraced each other out there. You weren’t talking but so many emotions and thoughts were connecting your love together. It’s special when you can say so much to a person without talking. Nick and you are meant to be together.”

“Thanks mom. He’s so worried that you don’t like him.” I confided in her.

“I like Nick a lot. Anyone who treats my daughter that special holds a place in my heart. I think Nick will make an excellent member of the Richardson family.”

“Mom, our relationship is new and you are planning on us getting married.” My mother was shocking me with her plans for my future.

“I call it like I see it. I knew Nia and Kevin would be getting engaged. They are perfect for each other. You and Nick have something even more special. I can’t begin to describe it, but I know what it feels like. That is what I shared with your dad. You and Nick will spend a lifetime loving each other.”