- Text Size +

The dance was nothing like I pictured it to be. My imagination had always gotten the better of me. The gym was decorated in burgundy streamers and balloons. Basically it was tacky. The senior class didn’t go such a great job on this dance.

Alex and I sat at a table. A few people were dancing, but mostly everyone was making out. I felt a little embarrassed about the whole thing. I haven’t even kissed a boy yet. I didn’t like watching other people swap spit.

“Alex thank you for taking me to the dance.”

“Your welcome. I’m having a good time.”

“Really?” I gave him a strange look.

“Yes, besides everyone making out.  It’s been fun.”

A Whole New World from Aladdin came over the speakers. I loved that song, especially since my brother was Aladdin at Disney. I pulled Alex up.

“Let’s dance.”

He took my arms and placed them around his neck. We swayed to the beat of the music. So, this is what it felt like to slow dance with a guy. I was enjoying it. I didn’t feel like a geek when I was with Alex. He accepted me for who I am.

Alex quietly sang as we danced. Soon the song ended. A fast one came on and we continued to dance. Alex was a great dancer. I was ok. Sure, I could do ballet and tap, but freestyle dancing not so much. We continued to dance and have fun.

-------------------------------------------

Alex walked me to the porch. We sat on the porch swing for a few minutes.

“I had a really nice time tonight. It was my first dance.”

“So did I Ashton.” Alex moved in closer to me. He quickly placed his lips on mine. I attempted to kiss him back. He broke the kiss.

We both stared at each other for a moment. I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t feel anything in his kiss.

“Ummm….I’m sorry Ashton. I didn’t mean it.” Alex started at his shoes.

“That’s okay.” I looked at him and started to laugh.

“Did you feel anything when you kissed me?” He asked me seriously.

“Not really. It was like kissing my brother.” We both started to laugh. I liked Alex a lot, but not in that way. He was going to be a good friend.

“Gee thanks. You’re a cool girl. I had a great time.”

We both walked in the house. I went upstairs to my room and Alex went to the den where he was spending the night.

“How was the dance AJ?” Nick asked sleepily.

“It was a lot fun. Ashton’s pretty cool.”

“She is?”

“Yes, Nick she is. What’s your problem?”

“Nothing. Did you kiss her?”

“That is none of your business.” AJ put his pajamas on and got into his sleeping bag.

“I was just curious, if you could feel her braces when you kissed.”

“Nick your just jealous because you can’t get a girl to kiss you. You’re too young to date and kiss girls.”

“I am not. I wouldn’t date or kiss Ashton if she was the last girl on earth.” Nick replied adamantly.

“I don’t think she would want to kiss you.”

“Fine. I think she’s stupid and ugly.”

Nick you have problems. No girl would want to date you. Ashton’s a nice girl. You shouldn’t be saying things about her. Kevin will kick your ass.”

---------------------------------------

I sat at my desk with my journal open. I was writing about my night.

            Tonight I went to my first dance. It was nothing like I expected. I found it rather boring. Don’t get me wrong I had a lot of fun with Alex, but I didn’t get the hype. I guess I wasn’t your typical girl. Alex kissed me, but I didn’t feel that spark you see on romantic movies. Alex felt the same. We laughed about it. Without Alex, I don’t think I would have had such a great time. I didn’t spend much time with Brian. He was busy with his girlfriend. She was homecoming queen and had to socialize with the whole student body.

            It was nice seeing my brother. I missed him when he’s away. I mean I hardly get to see him. Most of his new friends seem nice. There is one in particular though, that I can’t stand. Nick is just an annoying pest. He is always giving me dirty looks and saying rude things to me or about me. What is up with that? I don’t even know the twerp. He’s met me twice and has given me an attitude both times. If he does it again, I’m gonna smack him. Nick thinks he’s soooo cool.  I could easily beat him up. I’m a good five inches taller than him. Plus I’ve had practice fighting my older tougher brothers. I’ll punch him right in the gut, and he’ll fall to the floor in pain. Don’t mess with me Nick Carter. You will regret it.

            Well, I better get to bed. I have church in the morning. I wonder if my mom will make Kevin and his friends go. I know Brian will be there. He never misses church. His mom would tan his hide if he didn’t go to church. I wasn’t allowed to miss church either. I hoped my mom made them go. I think God needs to teach Nick how to be kind and not hurt other people’s feelings.

I closed my journal and placed it in the desk drawer. I got into bed and stretched out. I had one of the best evenings in my life. I fell into a peaceful sleep.