- Text Size +

The guys were finishing a small tour Quebec. They were rehearsing for tonight’s concert. My mom and I were having lunch before she headed back to Kentucky tomorrow morning.

“Ashton, how serious are things with Nick?”

“Mom, there is no other man for me. I could never be with anyone else. He’s my everything.”

“We had a talk yesterday.”

I picked at my salad. I was uncomfortable talking to my mom about my private life with Nick.

“Nick mentioned that.”

“Ashton, I know that it’s embarrassing to talk to you mom about your sex life, but we need to have this talk.”

“Fine. Let’s get it over with. What do you want to talk about?” I had my head down. I didn’t want her to see the redness in my cheeks.

“First off there’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Sex is a normal part of life. I know that you and Nick are having sex.”

“Mom, do we really need to do this? I already know about the birds and bees. We had this talk when I was eight.” I pleaded for her to stop.

“This has nothing to do with the birds and bees. Sweetie, I know that right now everything is new and exciting, but don’t let sex be the overruling activity in your relationship.”

“Mom, believe me it’s not. You sound like Kevin.” I put my fork down and looked at her.

“I’m not trying to. Just eventually the sex is going to dwindle. You need to have a solid relationship when that happens. You need love and friendship.”

“Nick is my best friend. We hang out and talk. I can tell him anything.”

“That is wonderful. Not many people have that. You are truly a special couple. I can tell that he makes you happy.” My mom smiled at me.

“Thanks. I can’t see my life without him. Did Kevin ask you to talk to me?”

“He’s had some concerns. He thinks you and Nick are wonderful together.”

“But. I know there’s a but coming. With Kevin there’s always a but.” I rolled my eyes.

“Your brother means well. He has your best interest at heart. He thinks you are moving to fast when it comes to the physical part of your relationship.”

“That’s because he’s always catching us in intimate moments. I feel bad, but I love Nick. We are both being responsible mom. I would never do anything I didn’t feel comfortable with. Nick respects me and my values. He wouldn’t hurt me.”

“I trust you. Ashton, you’re growing up to be a wonderful woman. I’m proud of you.”

----------------------

“How was the concert?”

“It was good. We got a bunch of bras thrown at us.”

“Sounds like fun. I bet Alex loved that.”

“Brian and he were holding them up in front of them. It was hilarious.” I laughed as I pictured that in my head.

“I’m sorry I missed the show.” I rubbed his back.

“I understand. Time with your mom is important. That feels really good Ashy.”

I was giving Nick a massage.

“I’m glad. Do you think our relationship is just about sex?”

“No. I mean it is part of relationship, but I don’t think it defines us. Why?”

“Kev talked to my mom about us. He’s worried that our relationship is based on sex and nothing else.”

“Doesn’t he have anything else to worry about? I get he worries about you, but he should worry about his own relationship.” Nick was annoyed by Kevin’s butting in on our relationship.

“I know. He’s sooo annoying.”

“I mean I am a guy, and I think about sex ninety nine percent of the time, but it’s not the only reason I’m with you.”

“So why are you with me?” I asked boldly.

“You are beautiful, smart, caring, funny, feisty, sexy and the list goes on and on.”

“Okay, anything else?”

“I love everything about you. I like the way your scrunch your nose when you study. I love how you call just to say goodnight. You make me feel whole. You love me when I feel unlovable. You’re my family.” He smiled at me. Tears fell down my face. I couldn’t believe he said I was his family.

“Nick, wow. I love you so much.” He kissed my cheek.

“So why are you with me?”

“Because you are the famous and wonderful Nick Carter. All the girls want you, but I’m the one that has you.” I cooed.

“You are such a dork. Really that’s the only reason you are with me?” He pouted.

“That and all your riches. I get to be famous because you are my boyfriend. I’ll be famous for no reason. I love it.” I teased.

Nick jumped off the bed. I saw the look on his face and quickly ran towards the door.

“Get back here Ashton.”

I ignored him and ran into the hallway. He followed me. I continued running down the hall until I bumped into someone.

“Whoa! Watch out.” I fell to the ground and pulled Howie down with me. Nick stopped next to us.

“Sorry Howie.” I started to laugh. Howie joined in.

“What are you two up to?”

“Nick is being a meanie. He’s chasing me down the hall.” I pleaded innocence.

“She’s lying man. She’s only with me for my fame and fortune.”

“I knew there had to be a reason she was with you. It couldn’t be your looks or personality.” Howie said seriously.

“Howie, shut the hell up. Glad to know whose side you’re on.”

Howie and I busted out laughing.

“Nicky, you know I love you for more than your fame and fortune. I like your cute butt. I like your sad, pathetic pout. It’s just so cute.”

“Ugg...you can sleep in Howie’s room tonight.” Nick walked away quickly.

“Do you think he’s mad at me?” I was unsure if he was really mad or not.

“This is Nick. He likes to pick on everyone else, but doesn’t like to be picked on. I would go talk to him.”

I walked back to the room and knocked on the door.

“Go away.”

“Nick, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I was just joking.”

“Leave me alone. You hurt my feelings. I thought we had something special. I don’t know if this relationship is working.” Nick said cheerlessly.

“Nick, are you breaking up with me?” I was ready to cry. I was just teasing him. I didn’t think he would take me seriously.

Nick opened the door and started laughing.

“I gotcha.” He fell to the floor.

“You’re such a jerk, Nick. I believed you.”

I went to the bed and grabbed a pillow and started beating him with it.

This is what I loved about Nick.