- Text Size +

The months were flying by, as I was busy with school and work.  Winter became spring and the semester was almost over. I was contemplating whether to go home to Kentucky or stay with Kevin in Orlando. Either way I would need a job.

I was enjoying the day helping my future sister-in-law plan her wedding.

“Nia how many bridesmaids and groomsmen are in the wedding?” I asked curiously.

“Well Kevin’s list is rather long. Jerald and Tim are going to be the best men because he couldn’t pick. The groomsmen are Brian, Harold, Howie, AJ, and Nick.”

“That’s cool. Have you decided who’s walking with whom?” I prayed I wouldn’t get stuck with Nick. I hadn’t seen him since we broke up at the end of January. It was almost April.

“Yeah. We decided last night. Jerald is walking with my sister Tiffany.” I really only wanted to know who I was walking with.

“That’s nice. Who am I walking with?”

Nia smiled at me. I knew she was going to say Nick.

“We put you with Nick because you are both so tall. You would look funny walking down the aisle with Brian.” She said carefully.

“Thanks a lot.” I huffed. I had no right to be upset, but I was.

“Ashton, I know how much you care about him.”

“Stop. I don’t want to hear it. I’m done with him. I’ve moved on. He clearly has. It’s not anyone’s fault our relationship didn’t work. I promise to be polite and civil. I wouldn’t ruin your wedding day.” I said sadly.

“I know it hurts. It sucks that he turned out to be such a jerk. You will find the man of your dreams. Don’t settle for less than the best.” She comforted me.

“What if he is the best? Then I’m doomed. Maybe I should become a nun.”

“Okay Sister Ashton. Pack yourself a bag and I’ll drop you off at the convent.” Nia joked.

“Ha ha ha! When is Kevin coming home?”

“Nice change of subject. They are coming home on April 6th. I can’t wait to see him.”

“I bet. I’m sure you miss him in your bed.” I teased.

“Ashton Jeannette, I don’t kiss and tell.” Her face turned red.

“Thank goodness. I don’t want to know.”

------------------------------------------------------------------

The guys were sitting backstage eating dinner before the concert. Kevin pulled out a sheet of paper.

“Nia and I decided who you will be ushering down the aisle at the wedding.”

Nick was curious if he was going to walk with Ashton. All the other girls were so short compared to him. It was going to be hard for him to walk with her. He was madly in love with the girl, but was such a coward when it came to fixing their relationship.

“AJ, you’ll be with Maddie. Brian you are with Drea. Howie and Sarah. Nick that leaves you with Ashton.”

Nick put his head down on the table. All the guys looked at him. Kevin motioned for all the other guys to leave. He wanted to have a man to man chat with Nick.

“Nick, we need to talk.”

“What?” He said as he lifted up his head.

“I’m getting tired of you moping around. What is up with you and Ashton?”

“Nothing. She dumped me when we came back from Sweden. I haven’t talked to her since.” Nick picked the skin off his finger.

“Well, I don’t blame her. She tried to work out the problems in your relationship, but you chose to ignore them instead.”

“I didn’t want to. I was confused. Hell, I still am. I love her so much, but not being with her kills me. I can’t take being in Europe and her being home. It makes me feel like shit.”

“Nick, none of us like being away from the people we love. It’s not easy. Ignoring her is not the answer. Like I said before communication is the answer. You have to talk about your feelings. Tell her how you feel. That’s how relationships work.”

“I know that. You tell me this at least once a day. Maybe I’m not ready to be in a relationship. I’m seventeen years old. I’m just a dumb teenager. Ashton was right that maybe I need to grow up, but at this point I don’t think I’m ready to be grown up.” Kevin was beginning to piss off Nick. He was tired of the endless relationship talks with Kevin.

“Fine, Nick. I’m done trying to help you. She’s not going to wait for you forever. She loves you more than life itself, but I guess her love isn’t enough for you. I told you not to hurt my sister, and you’ve done it time and time again. I think you are the perfect couple. You both deserve to have that special love. Not many people find it. You both have, and both of you are so stubborn that you might end up losing that love. This is my last conversation with you about this. I’m done trying to help you.” Kevin pushed his chair under the table and walked away.

“Go to hell Sir Kevin Richardson, King Know It All.” Nick screamed at Kevin as he walked out the door. He knew he was being immature but he didn’t care.

“What did he do now?”

“Frick, he’s on my ass about Ashton again. He won’t leave me alone. I’m trying to deal with the damn break up and he’s on me constantly about it.”

“He’s just trying to be helpful. I know it’s annoying, but cut the guy some slack.”

“Whatever. The guy is so wishy washy. At first he was on me because I was all over his baby sister. Now he’s on me because we aren’t together. Which way does he want it?”

“He wants his baby sister happy, but for you to not be doing the nasty in public.” Brian laughed.

“Anyways. Let’s go shoot some hoops. I need to relax.”

Nick grabbed the ball and walked outside. Brian followed his lead.