- Text Size +

“Good afternoon Tates Creek High!” Brian shouted into his microphone. The crowd went wild.

“We’re going to entertain you today with some music. Sit back and relax.”

The crowd got quiet and the music started. I was excited to see the guys perform. They started dancing. I was impressed with how much they improved. Even Nick was doing the steps correctly. The crowd cheered and applauded after each song.

“Well, we heard there’s a special girl with a birthday in the audience. Ashton Richardson can you please come down here?”

I was so embarrassed. Slowly I walked down the bleachers and stood in front of my whole school.

“This special girl is my favorite cousin. Let’s all sing happy birthday to her.”

The guys and the whole school sang to me. My face was the brightest shade of tomato red. When they finished each of the guys gave me hugs including Nick. Though I’m sure I now have his cooties. I know I was being immature, but I didn’t care.

“We’re going to slow this down a bit. I need a pretty girl to sing to.” Nick said. He pointed to Missy and she pushed me out onto the floor. I was going to kill her.

Nick grabbed my hands in his and started to sing.

“Lying beside you, here in the dark…feeling you heartbeat with mine”

This was pure torture. I didn’t want Nick to sing to me. I couldn’t believe I was being tortured with having him sing a love song to me. I noticed Alex leaning against the wall smirking. It wasn’t funny. I was disgusted. I gave Nick the death look, and he pretended to like me.

“So now I come to you, with open arms.”

At this point, Nick was kneeling in front of me. This wasn’t romantic. It was cheesy. I towered over the boy when standing. He looked like a munchkin next to me.

Finally the song ended. He let go of my hands and I ran out of the gym. I was going to kill Missy for forcing me up there. I was going to kill Brian and Kevin for joining this stupid group. I wanted to run away.

Everyone started coming into the halls. I hid in the bathroom. I didn’t want to deal with the world. When the last school bell rang, I made my way to my locker.

“Ashton is everything ok?”

“No Missy it’s not. I can’t believe you pushed me out there.”

“I thought you would enjoy having Nick serenade you.” She looked at me.

“That boy hates me. He hasn’t said one nice thing to me since we met.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I just thought you would look cute together.” I laughed at her.

“He’s such a little shrimp with a whiny voice.”

“You’re such a bitch.”

I turned around and saw Nick standing there. He looked like he was ready to cry.

“I’m not a bitch. You think you’re so cool. You’ve been a jerk since I met you.”

“I think you’re a snob. You act like your better than everyone else. Ashton, I think you are ugly. No wonder you have no friends.” He shouted and ran down the hall.

“That boy has some nerve.” My lip started to quiver and tears ran down my cheeks. I don’t know what I did to deserve this kind of treatment from someone who barely knew me.

Missy put her arm around me and tried to comfort me. Nothing helped.

------------------------------------------------

 I sat at the table quietly eating dinner. My mom and Aunt Jackie prepared the boys a home cooked meal before they left later that night.

“Ashton, you’re quiet tonight.” My brother asked me.

“I’m fine. I just don’t feel like talking.”

“Thank goodness.”

“Nick, shut up.” Brian warned.

“You shut up.” He rolled his eyes.

“Nick, if you are going to be rude, I suggest you leave the table.” I told him wishing he would leave.

“Then I guess you would have to leave, also.”

“Would you both stop? I feel like I’m in grade school. If you can’t say anything nice, don’t talk.” Kevin reprimanded us.

“Fine.” I got up from the table and went outside.

The cool wind felt good on my face. I didn’t understand anything anymore. My life was horrible. I didn’t have any true friends. Sure, I had Brian and Kevin and maybe Alex, but they were all leaving tonight. Then there was Nick. What was his problem? I knew that many people did not like me, but they chose to ignore me. He wanted to say mean things and hurt me. I didn’t get it. I never felt so alone in my life.

“Sis, what is wrong?”

“I’m all alone.” I turned to look at Kevin.

“That’s not true.”

“It is Kevin. I have no friends at school. You and Brian live far away. Alex is almost a friend, but he’s not here enough to make a friendship last. Nick hates me for no reason. I’m ugly and weird.”

“Ashton, I’m sorry that I moved so far from you. I’m trying to pursue my dreams. I’d want you to do the same. Even though I’m not in Kentucky, you can call me anytime. I don’t know what is up with Nick. He’s thirteen and he’s a moody teenager. I would just ignore him.” I nodded my head.

“Kevin, I’m glad you’re pursuing your dreams. I feel like I don’t even have dreams. I’m the invisible girl at school.”

“You’re going to be a knock out some day. Right now you are going through that awkward stage. You are going to be the girl with the long legs to die for. You have amazing green eyes and a smile that could charm any guy. You are going to blossom into a gorgeous woman. I’m just glad it isn’t right now. I don’t want to have to fight all those boys off of you.”

“I hope so Kevy. I want to be pretty. Thanks.” I gave my brother a hug. Someday I was going to be the envy of all the girls and guys from school.