- Text Size +

Nick walked into his parents’ house. He wanted to talk to dad about something. No one was in the living room. He walked into the kitchen.

“Nicky, what are you doing here?” His mom asked in surprise. Nick hadn’t been to over to visit in about four months.

“Hi mom. I need to talk to dad. Is he around?”

“Yeah, he’s outside.”

“Thanks.” Nick walked past his mom and went outside.

Nick saw his dad standing by the shed. He strolled down to where his father was looking through some tools.

“Hey dad.”

“Nick, it’s great to see you. You haven’t been around very much.” Bob looked at his son.

“I’ve been busy with practice. Ashton and I got back together.”

“That’s great. She seems like a nice girl. I look forward to meeting her someday.”

“Dad, I promise you will get to meet her soon. After the way mom treated her, I’ve been afraid to bring her back.”

“I know son. Your mom can be overbearing and rude. So, what brings you here?”

“I’m planning  a special romantic night for Ashton. I need to make some extra crash. I was wondering if I could do some work around the house for you?”

“What do you have in mind?” Bob asked his son. He could tell Nick was serious about working for money.

“I figured I could cut the grass and trim the bushes. I mean I would do anything you needed me to do.”

“Okay, I think we could work some things out. What are you planning on doing for Ashton?”

“Well, I was going to take her out to a fancy restaurant for dinner. Then I was going to surprise her with a romantic night at a hotel. I want to buy her a fancy dress for the evening.” Nick smiled at the thought.

“Wow! She must be one lucky girl. That sounds very romantic. When are you planning this for?”

“Umm…in about twenty three days.”

“You can come by tomorrow to cut the grass. How much money do you have saved up?”

“I have about one hundred fifty.”

“I will pay you twenty five dollars to cut the grass. If you want to trim the bushes I will give you fifty bucks. For two weeks that will give you a hundred fifty bucks. Will that help you out?”

“Dad that is more than generous. I really appreciate it.” Nick gave his dad a hug.

“You’re welcome Nick. I remember what it’s like to be in love. Those were the days.” Bob reminisced.

“It sucks that you and mom aren’t getting along.”

“I know Nick. Just remember how much you love Ashton. Don’t repeat our mistakes. Don’t tell your mom about me paying you. Let her think you are just here to help.”

“I will dad. Thanks for helping me out.”

--------------------------------

I was bored out of my mind. I finally had the day off. It was nice not having to sale Disney memorabilia for a day. I loved my job, but I wanted to chill out with my boyfriend. I decided to give him a call.

“Hello.”

“Hi Nicky. What are you doing?”

“I have to go help my dad today.”

“Oh. Are you going to be there the whole day?”

“Probably. He wants me to help him with yard work.” Nick answered apprehensively.

“Okay. When you are finished give me a call.”

“I will. Love ya.”

“Love ya, too.”

Nick clicked the phone off.

I flopped down on the couch and decided to flip through the television stations. Nothing was on. I almost wished I was working.

“Anyone home?” Brian’s voice sang.

“In the living room.”

Alex and Brian walked into the room. Alex sat on top of me.

“Get off me, dork.” I pushed him onto the floor.

“Why are you so grumpy?”

“I’m not grumpy.” I gave him a dirty look.

“Do you have PMS?”

“Yes, I have permanently moody syndrome every time you are around me Alex.” I yelled at him. He pouted and Brian started to laugh.

“Why aren’t you with Nick?”

“He’s helping his dad with yard work.”

“Aww that is so sweet of him.” Alex gave Brian a look.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“Nothing. Just ignore J. He’s being weirder than normal.”

“It’s just that Nick has been helping his dad an awful lot lately.” Alex commented.

“What is weird about that? He’s helping his dad, so what.”

“Let’s change the subject. How’s your girlfriend J?” Brian said quickly before Alex spilled the beans.

“She’s not my girlfriend. We’ve talked like three times on the phone.” He blushed.

“You’re flushed Alex. You must really like her.”

“Shut up. She’s a cool girl.”

“You’ll have to ask her to go out with the gang. I really want to meet her.”

“You will when the time is right. How many more days until you do it with Nicky?” Brian gave Alex a look and held his ears.

“I don’t think Bri wants to hear about my sex life. I can’t offend my favorite cousin.” I joked.

“Thank you Ashton.” Brian flopped on the couch next to me and gave me a big hug.

“You’re welcome Brian.” I said as I hugged him back. “Eighteen.”

“You hurt my virgin ears.” Brian shrieked.

“Brian, you are not a virgin.” Kevin remarked as his entered the living room.

“Is it pick on Brian day?”

“Yes, it is cuz. Why are you all at my house?”

“We’re bored. There’s nothing to do.”

“AJ, stop whining. I hear it every single day. I don’t want to hear you on my day off. Why don’t you all go to Tampa and bother Nick.”

“We can’t he’s helping his dad for the day.” I replied. “Well, I don’t know about all you chimps, but I’m going to find something to do.”

I got up and went outside on the deck. Briand and Alex followed me outside.

“You want to go do something?”

“Like what?” I questioned.

“I dunno. We could go mini golfing or something.” Alex suggested.

“That sounds like fun. Give me ten minutes to get ready.” I ran into the house and up to my bedroom.