- Text Size +

Nick followed Nia into the dress shop. He felt kind of odd being in a store filled with just dresses.

“Do you have anything particular in mind?” Nia asked as she watched Nick look around uneasily.

“Umm…not really. I’ve never bought a dress before. I’m not even sure what Ashton would like.” He looked around nervously at all dozens of dresses that surrounded him.

“Her favorite color is red. Do you want to look at the rack of red dresses?”

“Sure.”

They both walked over to the rack filled with thirty or forty red party dresses. Nick slowly perused the dresses.

“I think this is a sweet gesture. Ash is going to be surprised.” Nia smiled as she held up a long red dress.

“I hope so. I’m looking forward to this night with her.” He shook his head no at the dress.

Nick held up a short red strapless satin dress with a tulle skirt. It was accented satin sash with a diamond shaped rhinestone broche. The bodice and tulle skirt was flocked with silver sparkles. He checked the size and smiled. It was perfect for Ashton.

“What do you think?” He held the dress up.

“Nick, it’s gorgeous. Ashton will look stunning in that. You have excellent taste.”

“Thanks.” Nick said shyly.

He walked up to the counter and paid for the dress. He took the bag and they walked out of the store.

“So what is the plan for tomorrow?”

“Ashton works until two. Will you put the dress on her bed?”

“Sure.”

“I have a note that goes with it. Then, will you help her get ready?”

“Not a problem. I will do whatever she needs me to do. What time are you picking her up?”

“I will pick her up at five o’clock. We have reservations at five forty-five.” Nick opened the car door for Nia. They both got in.

“What else do you have planned?”

“Well after dinner, I’m going to take her to the hotel. I’m going to have music so that we can dance. I also have a few surprises up my sleeve.” He grinned.

“I’ll have her bag pack and give it to Kevin when he meets you at the hotel.”

“Thanks for helping me. It really means a lot. I’m so nervous.”

“She will love it. Kevin needs to take some tips from you.”

“Nah, he really helped me come up with a lot of this.”

“Really? He’d better be planning something romantic for me.” Nia joked.

--------------------------------------

(The Next Day)

Kevin was spreading rose petals around the room. He was placing them anywhere and everywhere. Nick was placing candles on the dresser.

“Nick, do you have enough money to cover everything.”

“Yes. I did a lot of work for my dad.”

“Ashton kept saying how busy you were the last couple weeks. I’m really proud of you.” Kevin smiled at him.

“Why is that Kev?”

“You’ve just matured so much in the last couple months. It makes me happy to see how your relationship has grown. You make my sister happy. I’m thankful that she found someone who loves her that much.” Kevin pulled Nick in for a hug.

“I love her more than I ever thought I could love someone. I know that we’re meant to be together. Even though we are young, I don’t see myself with anyone else.” Nick said honestly. He couldn’t imagine loving any other woman.

Nick fiddled with the radio. He placed a CD into the radio.

------------------------------

I walked into the house. My feet were killing me. A little girl had stepped on it earlier in the day. I was ready to relax. Nick was busy doing something with his family, so I had the whole evening to watch movies and stuff my face with junk food.

“Hey, Nia.”

“Hi Ashton. How was work?”

“It was good. I’m going to go change my clothes. I’ll be back down.

I went upstairs and went inside my room. A garment bag was sitting on my bed. I walked over and saw an envelope. I was confused, but opened it.

            Dear Ashton,

You are special to me. Tonight is a special night. Please get yourself dolled up. Inside the garment bag is something special I would like you to wear. I hope that you like it. I look forward to spending a special night with a special lady. You mean the world to me. I love you a lot. Your coach will arrive five. Can’t wait until I see you.

 

                                    XOXO,

                                    Nick

 

Tears fell from my eyes. Nia chose that moment to walk in.

“Do you know anything about this?” I whispered.

“A little. Nick needed me to help with some logistics. You are a lucky girl.”

“I know.” I gushed. I quickly walked into the bathroom. A basket filled with bubble bath, a candle, shower gel, and lotion in my favorite scent sat on the counter. Nick had really outdone himself.

Since I had enough time, I decided to take a bubble bath. It was nice to relax. I daydreamed about what was going to happen this evening.  About ninety minutes later, I was getting out of the tub. I quickly dried off and started to get ready.

“Nia.” I yelled.

“What do you need?” She yelled back at me.

“Can you help me with my hair?”

“Yes, I’ll be up in a few minutes.”

I was sitting at my desk when Nia walked in. “How do you want your hair fixed.”

“I was thinking lots of curls. Nick hasn’t seen my hair that way in a long time. I think it would look pretty with that dress. Have you seen it? It’s beautiful.” I beamed.

“It’s dazzling. Nick took a long time picking out the perfect dress for you.” Nia wrapped a section of my hair around the curling iron.

“Oh, wow! I didn’t even realize he pick it out. This is surreal. I never expected him to do something like this. I feel like a princess.”

“You are a princess to him. So, when is your ban over?” Nia asked.

“Umm…I’ve been so busy with work that I haven’t even thought about it. I think it’s like a couple days or so.”

“Are you getting excited about that?”

“What do you think? Try not making love to Kevin for two months.” I teased.

“I’m not going there. Your hair is finished.”

I looked in the mirror. My hair was full of beautiful cascading curls. I put on some makeup. Then I got dressed. I looked in the mirror and twirled around. I felt like a princess.