- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is full of drama.

Life was not the same after Kevin and Brian left. I didn’t want to go to school. I didn’t want to talk to anyone. I wanted to stay home and wallow in my pity. I knew my mom was concerned. She kept asking me if I was okay. I told her I fine, but I knew she was on to the fact that something was wrong.

“Mom, I don’t feel well. Can I stay home today?” I asked groggily.

My mom felt my head and took my temperature. The thermometer read 100.1.

“Go back to bed.” My mom pointed to the upstairs.

I slowly walked to my room and got back into bed. I placed the covers over my head and tried to ignore the empty feeling in my heart.

School was horrible. I didn’t care about my grades. I stopped doing homework and studying for tests. My grades fell, but my mom didn’t know. She would be upset when she saw my report card.

I spent the whole day in bed. I didn’t do anything but lay there thinking about my horrible life. I had no friends, even though I tried. Missy had stopped talking to me after Brian broke-up with her. At lunch, I would go to the library because I nobody to sit with. Brian and Kevin were busy, so they didn’t call as much as they promised. Alex called once a week for a few minutes. I was the loneliest girl in the world.

“How are you feeling, Ashton?” My mom brought in a tray with dinner.

“Crappy.”

“I got your report card today. I don’t know what to say.” She sat down at my desk.

“How bad was it?” I couldn’t look at my mom. She was going make me talk about what was wrong. I didn’t want to.

“Honors English C, French B, Biology D, Art B, Algebra 2 F, U.S. History C, Gifted/Talented F. You’re GPA is 1.57.”

“Oh.”

“What is wrong? This isn’t like you Ashton. You’ve always cared about your grades.”

“Why does it matter? It’s not like its going to make me friends. I’m smart who cares.”

“Ashton your grades matter. You have always been proud of your grades. I’m proud of how smart you are. I’m proud of how talented you are. You are a brilliant dancer. You’re a mature young woman, but these last few weeks you given up on living.” My mom looked concerned. I saw the worry in her eye, and I didn’t like that I was causing it.

“Mom no one in this family understands. Tim, Kevin, and Jerald have always been popular. Everyone likes them. They are smart, handsome, funny, and cool. I’m the completed opposite. Sure, I’m smart. That’s where it ends for me.  I’m not pretty or funny. I’m definitely not cool. I have no friends in Tates Creek. Even Missy stopped talking to me.” I informed my mother.

“Alex is your friend. Plus, Brian and you are as close as any cousins could be.”

“I KNOW THAT, BUT THEY LIVE IN FREAKING ORLANDO, FLORIDA.” I screamed.

“There’s no need to yell at me.” My mom said quietly.

“I haven’t talked to Brian in two weeks. I hear from Alex once a week for about ten minutes. It’s not the same as having a friend living down the road. It’s just not enough.” I broke down sobbing. My mom pulled me into a hug. I continued to sob in her chest.

“I’m sorry Ashton. I wish I could make everyone be your friend. These people don’t know what they’re missing out on.”

“I just want to move to Florida. I hate living here.” I continued to cry until I fell asleep. Ann placed the covers on her daughter and kissed her goodnight. She prayed things would get better for her youngest child.

------------------------------------------

Ann knew she had to do something. Her daughter was having a rough time at the moment. Her heart was breaking. She was trying to come up with a solution to make things better for Ashton. The phone pulled her out of her thoughts.

“Hello.”

“Hey mom. How are you?”

“I’m okay.” Kevin could hear the sadness in her voice. He prayed that nothing was wrong.

“When was the last time you talked to your sister?”

“About a week ago. Why?”

“How did she act?”

“She seemed happy. She was talking about school and some project she was working on with her friends at school.”

“She told you she had friends?” Ann asked in disbelief.

“Yeah. She said she made some friends in her study hall. There names were Brenna and Allie.”

“Kevin your sister’s been lying to you. She doesn’t have any friends named Brenna and Allie. She says her only friends are Brian and Alex.”

“Why would she make that up?”

“She’s been depressed and lonely. Kevin, I don’t know what to do. She’s failing school and mopes around the house. She tells me she hates it here.” Ann didn’t know what to do for her daughter.

“Mom, is there anything I can do?”

“I think she needs to get away from Lexington for a while. Do you think she could stay with you for a few weeks?”

“I think that could work. I will be rehearsing a lot of the time, but she is more than welcome to come with me. It might do her some good to be with her friends.”

“Thank you, Kevin. I will set up everything and let you know the details. I can’t keep letting her go down this path. I thought it was a phase when your dad died, but I think she needs to be where she feels accepted by other people.”

“I agree mom. Nia needs to use the phone. Call me when you have details for me. Give Ashton a kiss for me. I love you.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Here is where the real story begins. Spending time in Florida with the boys. Lots of interaction with Nick.