- Text Size +

Nick, Brian and Alex were arguing about how to get my dresser out of the house. For some reason I didn’t trust them. I stood there watching them as Kevin walked into my room.

“Can you please tell them what to do Kevin? They are going to knick my dresser.” I complained.

“Anything for you sis. Nick and AJ flip it over on its side. Then each of you takes an end. I will guide you down the steps and out the door.”

Nick and Alex followed Kevin’s directions. Brian sat on my bed looking through my books.

“Brian, can you hand me those books on the nightstand?”

He handed me the books and looked at my left hand. He picked it back up and inspected it.

“What’s that on your ring finger?” He asked inquisitively.

“I don’t know, but I think it might be a ring.” I attempted to play dumb.

“Is that what I think it is?” He looked at the ring again.

“Brian mind your own business.” I moved away from him and sat on the bed. He sat down next to me.

“Ashton talk to me.”

“Fine, Brian. It’s the same ring he gave me earlier, but now it’s on a different finger. It means something different now.”

“Does it mean what I think it means?”

“It’s an engagement ring. Nick proposed to me this past weekend.” I smiled.

“Am I the only one that knows?” I nodded my head. “Congrats. I’m happy for both of you.”

“Thanks Bri. We are keeping the whole engagement quiet for a while. Please don’t tell anyone.” I hugged him. “Nick and I are going to have a long engagement. He’s busy with the group, and I want to finish school.”

“Your secret is safe with me.”

“What secret?” Alex asked as he walked into my room.

“If I told you I would have to kill you.” I threw a stuffed animal at him.

Alex walked over to me and started tickling me.

“Stop it. I hate…being…tickled.” I giggled.

“Tell me your secret.” He continued to tickle me.

“Never” I tried to wriggle free from his tickling fingers. “Bri help me.”

“I’m not going there. I think I’ll go help Nick and Kevin.” Brian walked out of my bedroom.

-------------------------------

(Meanwhile outside)

“Nick.”

“Yes, Kevin.”

“What’s with the ring on my sister’s finger?” Kevin looked Nick directly in the eye.

“What do you mean?” Nick responded cautiously.

“Stop acting blond. You know the one on her left ring finger.”

“Oh, you mean that ring.”

“Yes, that ring.” Kevin stood up a little straighter.

“It’s the ring that I gave her for Christmas.” Nick leaned against Kevin’s truck.

“I remember that ring being on her right hand. Stop playing stupid with me.” Kevin said through gritted teeth. Nick was starting to get nervous.

“Well..umm…you…see…it’s…”

“Just spit it out Carter.”

“Fine. I asked her to marry me.”

“YOU DID WHAT?!?!” Kevin blurted out. He didn’t know what to think. In one respect he was pissed off. They were too young to get married. In another, he knew they were meant to be together, and he wanted his sister to be happy. “Why now?”

“Kevin, you want to know the truth.”

“Yes Nick. Enlighten me.” Kevin sat on the back of the truck.

“I love Ashton more than anything in the world. When my world sucks, I know she’s going to make it better. I can’t live without her in my life. I don’t want to live my life without her. I know I’m just a stupid eighteen year old, but I can’t change how I feel.”

“Nick, you’re actually acting mature. You take your relationship with my sister seriously. I’m proud of that.”

“Umm thanks. I just want to let you know that we are taking this engagement seriously. We don’t plan on getting married for a long time. Ashton needs to finish school, and I need to see how the group goes. That gives us a good three or four years before we even plan the wedding.” Nick explained.

“You both have a good head on your shoulders. I’m amazed that she didn’t come in screaming she was engaged.”

“She wanted to keep it on the down low. Ashton was afraid you would be pissed.”

“My sister knows me well. When I saw the ring, I was a little upset. Nia told me to give Ashton time to tell me about the ring. I figured I’d wait until I saw you to find out.”

“It’s not that we want to hide things from you. It’s just that Ashy needs time to process things before she shares them with the world. She needs to get a grip on her emotions and situations before she tells anyone.” Nick tried to explain Ashton’s point of view.

“She’s always been like that.”

Nick and Kevin quietly processed their thoughts. Neither knew quite what to say. Nick wasn’t sure what Kevin’s thoughts were about the engagement. He prayed that Kevin would be accepting of the situation. Life would be easier if Kevin approved.

“Nick, welcome to the family.” Kevin pulled Nick into a hug.

--------------------------

“Sage.” I screamed.

She ran over to me and gave me a hug. I hadn’t seen her all summer.

“You look absolutely beautiful. You’re practically glowing.”

“Thanks. We’ll talk about it later.” I whispered to her.

“Oh, there are my sexy ladies.”

“Alex, you are such the flatterer. Don’t forget we are both taken.” Sage teased him.

“Alex forgets he’s almost taken.” I ratted him out.

“What are you talking about?”

“He met a girl this summer. Her name is Arizona. They are getting to be very friendly.” I gave Alex a hug.

“We are just friends.” He stated with a grin.

“Have you slept with her?” Sage inquired.

“Yes, but that means nothing.”

“Alex, stop fooling yourself. You know you like her.”

Alex picked me up and threw me over his shoulder.

“What are you doing to my woman?”

“I’m going to throw her in the dumpster. She’s talking trash on me.” I started smacking Alex on the butt. “Stop smacking my sexy ass.”

“What ass? You have no ass.”

“Baby girl, stop turning J on. You know he likes getting spanked.” Nick taunted.

Alex gently placed me back on the ground and chased Nick outside. Those boys were too much.