- Text Size +

Things were still hectic in my life. I was busy with school. I had taken more hours at work. I was saving to buy Nick tickets to the Bucs game. I finally had made an appointment to see the doctor. That was adding to the stress in my life.

My mom called me daily to check on me. I loved her dearly, but it was getting on my nerves. I knew she was worried about me. I thanked her for not telling Kevin. He would freak out on Nick and me.

My birthday came and went without much excitement. Nick took me out to dinner. Halloween had just past. We took Nick’s siblings trick or treating.

You would have thought things would have been strained between us, but it wasn’t. We discussed our situation openly and honestly. Nick and I were trying to handle it maturely. It wasn’t easy, but we didn’t have a choice. I couldn’t wait to go to the doctor and find out if I was pregnant. The answer would take a lot of stress off my life. Whether I was pregnant or not, Nick and I had some decisions we needed to make.

I was getting ready to go to Nick’s house for a movie night.

-------------------------------

“What movie do you want to watch?”

“Dirty Dancing.” I took the movie out of my bag.

“Again.” Nick teased.

“I can’t help it. I love this movie.”

“You’re going to be the death of me. I’ll go make some popcorn. Get the movie ready.” Nick walked into the kitchen.

I sat on the couch, not wanting to get up. I was feeling a little tired and somewhat cranky. A few minutes later Nick entered the living room. I was still sitting on the couch with the movie in my hand.

“Are you okay? You didn’t put the movie in.” Nick placed the bowl of popcorn on the table.

“Yeah, I’m just feeling tired.”

“Baby girl, do you want to lie down? Do you want to go home? Are you feeling okay?” Nick asked in concern.

“Chill out. I’m fine. I’m tired, not dying.” I snapped at him.

“I’m just trying to show concern.” He sat down next to me.

“Whatever. Let’s just watch the movie.” I sighed and walked over to the VCR.

“What’s with the attitude?”

“Nothing. I don’t want to talk about it. I just want to watch Dirty Dancing.” I sat on the floor.

“Don’t you want to sit with me?” Nick pouted. He was starting to get on my nerves.

“Fine Nick.” I stood up and went to sit next to him. “Are you happy now?”

“If you don’t want to sit by me that’s fine. I don’t want you to do anything you don’t want to.”

“Would you make up my mind? I just want to watch the movie.” I rolled my eyes.

“Fine.”

“Fine.”

We watched the movie in silence. I wasn’t paying any attention to Patrick Swayze or Jennifer Grey. I was extremely moody. Nick was getting on my nerves. He was trying to be nice, but I didn’t feel like be treated nicely. I wanted to be left alone.

Nick sat next to me chomping on popcorn. His crunching seemed so loud. It was grating on my nerves. I couldn’t sit by him. I moved to the floor near the television.

“Do I smell?” Nick teased.

“No.” I kept my eye on the movie.

“Are you mad at me?” Nick ran his fingers through his hair.

“No.”

“Can you say more than one word?”

“Nick, just leave me alone.”

Nick got up and turned off the movie.

“I was watching that. Why did you turn it off?” I raised my voice.

“Are you kidding me?” He looked at me like I had two heads. “What is wrong?”

“I’m tired. I’m cranky. I just want to be left alone.”

“Then why did you come over?”

“I wanted to see my boyfriend. I never see you. Even though I want to bury myself under the covers, I decided it was more important to see you.” I stood up.

“If you didn’t feel like coming, you didn’t have to. I would have understood.” Nick looked at me.

“Then I would’ve had to listen to you whine on the phone.”

“I don’t whine.” He whined.

“You’re doing it now. Look this is stupid. We are fighting over nothing.”

“We aren’t fighting.”

“Nick, listen to us. We aren’t even fighting about important things. I’m going home before we say anything we regret. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” I grabbed my purse and walked out of his house.

---------------------------------

My room was dark when I woke up. I didn’t feel as edgy as I did when I left Nick’s house. I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I felt bad acting that way towards Nick, but I could not control my emotions.

The red number on the clock said eleven thirty. I had slept for about five hours. I felt somewhat refreshed, but still seemed listless. Was this a sign of my body changing? That scared the shit out of me. I tried to picture myself with a baby bump.  I shuddered at that thought. I loved children, but I was not ready to be a mom. Why was this happening to me?  Every time my life was settling down, drama came my way.

I had to pee. I went to the bathroom. There was blood on my panties. It looked like my period had started. I took care of business and went back into my room. I found my planner and checked the date. My period was due today.  Relief flowed through my body. I was never so happy to get my period.

I dialed Nick’s number.

“Hello!”

“I got my period.” I shouted into the phone.

“Umm…Ashton.” Nick sounded unsure.

“Yes, Nicky.”

“You got your period?”

“Yes, that’s why I was such a bitch to you tonight. I’m sorry.” I apologized.

“I understand. I guess we don’t have to worry about you being pregnant. We are both to young to be parents.”

“Nick, I know this is hard. It one sense it would be great to have a baby. At this point in our lives we aren’t ready. Backstreet Boys is taking off. I want to finish college.”

“I know. You’re right. The timing sucks. Someday when the time is right, we will spend our time making lots of babies.”

“That’s a deal. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Nick and I continued to chat the night away. At least we were communicating instead of ignoring our issues. Our relationship was maturing.