- Text Size +

Kevin was waiting for me at the airport. I was happy to be coming to stay with him in Florida. I didn’t feel so lonely anymore.

“Hello Ashton.”

“Hi Kevin. I’m glad to be here.” I smiled at him. He grabbed my duffle bag and we headed out of the airport.

“Me, too. I have rehearsal in about an hour. Would you like to go? Nia will be there, and you can meet her.”

“Sounds like fun. I can’t wait to see Brian and Alex.”

We arrived at the warehouse where the guys practiced. We’re early. Kevin has a thing about being punctual. Curiosity got the best of me, so I started snooping around. There wasn’t much to see.  All I cared about what seeing my friends.

The loneliness started already started to drift away. I felt comfortable instead of stressed out. I didn’t think about my geekiness. I felt normal.

“Ashton.”

“Alex.” I ran to hug and gave him a bear hug.

“It’s great to see you.”

“I’m going to be in Orlando for three weeks.”

“You’re here.” Nick commented rudely. He stood there with an attitude.

“Do you have a problem with it?” I asked him in a snotty tone. This boy got on my very last nerve.

“What if I do?”

“Then you have a problem because I’m here for the next three weeks, shrimp.” I could see him getting angrier by the minute, especially when I teased him about his height.

“At least I’m not the jolly green giant.”

“Loser.”

“Four eyes.”

“Dork.”

“Geek.”

“ENOUGH! Would the two of you stop? Can you please get along so Kevin doesn’t yell at us?” Alex pleaded.

“Fine. I’m sorry Nick.” I apologized, but didn’t mean it.

“Yeah me, too.” He stared at the ground while apologizing. He wasn’t being very sincere.

The other guys arrived and practice got started. I watched as they sang and danced. That Lou guy was creeping me out. He was big, fat, and totally gross. All he did was sweat. I stayed as far away from him as possible.

“Hi.” A pretty woman sat down next to me. “I’m Nia. You must be Ashton.”

“Nice to meet you, Nia. Kevin’s told me a lot about you.” Nia was stunning. She looked like a model. Her long wavy blonde hair flowed to the middle of her back. She had bright blue eyes and a friendly smile. Nia was tall and had the perfect figure. Yes, I was obsessed with how other people looked. Being the ugly duckling I was, I dreamed of looking beautiful someday.

“Are you excited to be in Florida?”

“Yes. I get to be with all my friends.” I smiled.

“There a nice group of guys.” I nodded my head. I agreed with her with the exception of the little blond shrimp. He hasn’t been nice yet.

We continued to watch the boys. They were dancing and all of a sudden Nick tripped and knocked Howie over. We couldn’t help but laugh. It was so comical. Nick got up and gave me a dirty look. I stuck my tongue out at him. He stuck his tongue out at me. I took my left hand, made the loser sign at him and laughed. He shot me the middle finger.

“Nick, stop it. That’s rude.” Kevin barked at him.

“She started it.” He pointed to me. I just smiled and looked innocent.

“Nick, she’s sitting there not doing a thing.” Kevin was getting irritated.

“Fine.”

Practice continued with Nick and me ignoring each other.

--------------------------------------

“I can’t believe you got Nick in trouble.” Alex laughed. We were eating ice cream at some local dairy delite.

“He deserved it. I can’t stand him.”

“I think the feeling is mutual. I’m glad you are here.”

“Me, too. Things at back at home have been rough.”

“I could something was wrong the last time we talked, but I knew you wouldn’t say anything. I should have asked you.”

“It’s hard for me to open up to people. It’s been like that since my dad died. I put up a wall and don’t let people in. It got worse as I got older.”

“You can’t go hiding from life. There is so much to see and do. The world has so much to offer.”

“I know, but it’s harder when you feel like the loneliest person in the world. Plus everyone kept leaving me. My dad, Kevin, Brian, even you.”  I was being honest with Alex.

“I never thought of it that way. I see your point. Your one of my closest friends, I’ll never leave you.”

“Thanks. Let’s talk about something fun.”

(Meanwhile at another table)

“Your cousin is so annoying.”

“She’s really a cool person. You both got off to a rough start.” Nick rolled his eyes.

“Brian, she got me in trouble today. I’m trying to keep Kevin from yelling at me day after day. He was just starting to leave me be. Then she comes along and gets me in trouble.”

“You should have just ignored her.” Brian laughed. He thought Nick and I were being childish.

“She shouldn’t have laughed at me. Then I wouldn’t have to bother her.”

“Ashton really bothers you, doesn’t she?”

“Yes. She started on me as soon as I got to practice.”

“Aww, poor wittle Nicky getting picked on by a girl.” Brian teased him. Why did Nick even bother? He was tired of being the youngest member of the group.