- Text Size +
Chapter 1

Kim was deep in thought when she was interrupted by her line manger Tina. Tina was only about 5’2 and always wore stupidly high shoes to try and make herself look taller, even in flats Kim still towered over her. Kim was around 5’7 with long brown hair which she always had tied back and brown eyes which were almost as dark as her pupils.The two woman had never gotten along Tina took an instant dislike to Kim as soon as she began working there. It may have been jealousy as Kim was taller and a lot prettier than Tina and she didn’t have to work hard for people to like her, in fact quite the opposite of Tina who was disliked by everyone in the store.

“Are we keeping you from something?” Tina hissed.

“Huh, Err, No, Just thinking.” Kim replied through a fake smile.

Tina rolled her eyes and sighed, “I’ll be off the shop floor for a while I need to get some things ready for this afternoon, It’s your appraisal don’t forget.” she smirked.

Kim watched as Tina waddled off trying to keep vertical in the super high shoes, she shook her head and threw herself back into her mundane task. God she was dreading this afternoon. She had two appraisals each year and they were always the same story, her manager would go on about how she needed to apply herself more and if she did she could go really far in this company. Kim would then promise to strive for constant success and achievement yadda, yadda, yadda! Kim knew this time would be even worse. She’d had yet another difference of opinion with a snotty customer this morning and had already been subjected to the wrath of Tina, now they would be alone away from prying eyes and she knew Tina would not hold back from making her feel like shit.
Her thoughts were interrupted again by an announcement over the intercom the loud voice boomed, “Can Kim come to the office please!”
Her stomach flipped I guess it’s that time again then, she thought letting out a heavy sigh.
Kim made her way up stairs she couldn’t believe the day she was having. As she reached the office door she took a deep breath and paused before lightly knocking.

“Come in!” the voice behind the door commanded.

Kim shuddered, just the sound of Tina’s voice made her want to stick pins in her ears. She pushed the heavy door open to find Tina sitting very comfortably in the store managers chair power trip! Immediately came to mind.

“Take a seat.” Tina ordered as she beckoned to a small chair the other side of the desk.

Kim pulled the chair out and sank into it she knew this was not going to end well. For 20 minutes Kim sat there listening to how worthless and inadequate she was. Then all of a sudden as if a switch had just gone off in her head, she bolted up right in the chair, her eyes began covering every inch of the room as her mind raced. What the hell was wrong with her? Why was she taking this shit, from that woman? This was not who she used to be.
“That’s it!” the words suddenly escaped from her mouth.

“What’s what?” Tina demanded looking rather puzzled and slightly taken back by Kim’s outburst.
“What’s what?” Tina repeated herself looking ever more unimpressed.

Kim half smiled and shook her head, “I quit!” she rejoiced.
Tina’s eyes grew wide as she stammered, “Yyyou what? You can’t qui” but she was interrupted by Kim before she could finish. “

Yeah that’s it, I quit! You can take your crappy job and stick it up your....” this time Tina interrupted Kim.

“You can’t just QUIT!” Tina tried to sound firm and in control. “There are procedures to go through; you have to put it in writing and work your notice.”

That was the final straw Kim could not believe this woman. She had just said she quit yet Tina thought she could still tell her what to do. Kim shot out of the chair like a bullet and leant across the desk till she was face to face with Tina. Her eyes darkened with fury as she coldly snapped,
“Watch Me!” Kim needed to get out of there and fast another power burst from Tina and she wouldn’t be able to stop herself from smacking the bitch in the face. She turned to the door and flung it open beginning to stride down the corridor she heard Tina shout after her,
“Don’t you DARE show your face here again!”
Kim didn’t even turn around, not wanting to waste anymore breath on the evil little troll she just raised her hand and shot her the finger and headed for freedom. As Kim walked out of the building she felt the cool breeze against her warm cheeks, she reached into her jacket pocket and pulled out a box of cigarettes and searched franticly for a lighter.

“For God’s sake” she cursed “Where is that frickin lighter?”
She felt like she was going to explode. Great she said to herself yet another FAILED job! She finally found the lighter and lit the cigarette, inhaling deeply the harsh reality of what had just happened suddenly began to dawn on her. Kim needed to get to her best friend jaynes house she always made things seem better and if ever Kim needed reassurance and cheering up it was now.

It only took Kim about 15 minutes to get to Jaynes luckily she was in and not out spending all her husband’s hard earned cash. Jayne was 18 years older than Kim and was her old manager from her first job. Jayne was very Slim and quite short she had bright green eyes and a different hair style each week. As Kim reached Jaynes she noticed a few cars parked on the drive. Yes Ash must be home she thought. Ashton was Jaynes son, he was only 2 years younger than Kim but they were like brother and sister. Ash worked away a lot of the time. He worked for a company that supplied lighting and sound equipment to musicians when they went on tour, but he also did a bit a freelance crew work. It was the best job Kim had ever heard of, yeah it was a lot of manual work loading and unloading equipment and the hours were a bit unsociable, but you got to go on tour with all sorts of different artists and travel the world with their shows.

Kim ran up the path and knocked on the door she was soon greeted by Ash and instantly threw her arms around him causing him to stumble back slightly.

“Wow that’s the best welcome home I’ve ever had.” he joked.

Kim felt a bit silly but she was in an emotional state from her day. She pushed him out of the way and walked through the house to the kitchen soon followed by Ash. She found Jayne in there making coffee.

“Just in time did you hear the kettle?” Jayne playfully joked.

Kim let out a fake laugh which instantly caused Jayne to spin around to look at her friend.

“What’s up?” she enquired.

“Err” Kim hesitated “I kinda quit my job.” She sank into her chair feeling like a complete ass.
Jayne dropped her eyes and shook her head, “What happened this time?”

She brought the coffees over to the table and took a seat as Kim began to tell her the story.
The best thing Jayne could say to console her friend was “Well you lasted longer than we expected!” and grinned from ear to ear. The three of them sat quietly around the kitchen table trying to digest what had happened. Just then Ash’s phone began to buzz causing them all to jump.
“I gotta take this” said Ash as he moved into the other room.

Kim broke the silence between her and Jayne “I thought he wasn’t back for another few months what happened?”

“There was some kinda fall out with the bands manager and Ash’s firm, something to do with money I think so they finished early” Jayne shrugged “it’s only a flying visit though he’s off on another tomorrow morning. For 3 months!”

Just then Ash came through the door looking a little flustered.

“What’s up?” ask Jayne concerned.

“I just don’t bloody believe this.” Ash growled getting more and more worked up. “That new lad we hired last month, Jake, he’s just quit, said he can’t travel anymore due to ‘family commitments’!”

“What does that mean for you?” asked Jayne trying to console her son.

“It means I’m a man down so I’m screwed with this new job!” Ash spluttered.

“Is there no one else you could call a favour on? It’s only for a few months isn’t it?” Kim asked trying to help.

He shook his head, “Not at such short notice we gotta be on the plane to France tomorrow morning that’s where this new tour is kickin off.” Ash paused to light a cigarette “What am I gunna do mom? I can’t pull out now their show is in two days they’ll never find author firm in time.”

Kim looked at Jayne she could see her mind ticking over, and then a small grin formed across her face. “KIM!” she screeched.

Kim and Ash both jumped and looked at her puzzled.

“That’s it” Ash sighed “She’s gone mad, Old age has finally caught up with her.”

Jayne jumped out of her seat and slapped Ash across the head. “Watch it boy!” she scolded. “No, seriously, take Kim with you!, she’s just left her job and she’s helped you in the past, so she kinda knows what to do and you’ll be there to help her out anyway. You know she could do it. It’s ideal for her, get her away and you know can trust her not to let you down.”

Kim felt her cheeks getting hotter and hotter as she basked in Jayne praise.

“Mmmmmmmm, I dunno,” said Ash “Her last reference doesn’t look to good. What if I piss her off and she throws me across a table or something?” He playfully joked.

Kim punched him in the arm, “Watch it sonny.” she teased.

Ash took a sip of his drink and mulled over the idea for a few minutes. Kim’s heart was beating so fast. She had always been jealous of Ash’s job this would be amazing if he’d give her a chance.
After what felt like a life time Ash cleared his throat and said “Is your passport in date?”

A huge grin formed over Kim’s face, “Yeah” she coyly replied.

“And, are you free for the next few months?”

“Yeah” Kim answered trying not to laugh.

“And do you think you could handle a lot of manual work, being in a male environment, and seeing all of Europe?” Ash toyed with her.

“Hell yeah!” said Kim “I’d give you a run for your money” she laughed.

“OK you’re hired!” Ash announced in his best Alan Sugar Impression.

Kim screeched and gave Ash the biggest hug, “Oh my God” she gasped. “You’re so not gunna regret this, thank you so, so much.”

“I better not regret it.” Ash joked. “Right then, now for the serious stuff.” Ash’s voice turned deeper. He sat down and spent the next 30 minutes explaining to Kim the ins and outs of what she would be doing, what she needed to bring, how much she got paid and days off. “Any questions?” Ash asked.

“Not at the minute.” Kim answered still showing a wide smile, she was too excited to think straight and there was a hell of a lot to take in.

“Right then I’m gunna pop to the office, get your paper work sorted and put you on the books. We don’t want you doing all this for free now do we?” he winked at Kim, who had gone into shook at the prospect of what lay ahead. “I’ll bring some stuff for you to sign this evening, contracts and what not and then I’ll be back to pick you up at 5.30am to go to the airport ok?”

“Yeah cool” was all Kim could answer.

Ash grabbed his coat and said goodbye to his mom as he reached the door he turned to Kim and said “Thanks for getting me out of a tight spot, it means a lot.”

Kim smiled and nodded at him, she watched as Ash close the door behind him then let out a loud shriek. “AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!” She turned to Jayne who was sitting very smugly in the chair.

“What’s up with your face?” Kim asked.

“Nothing just basking in my genius” Jayne laughed back.

Kim chuckled, “Thanks Jay, this is gunna be amazing, I best go and sort my stuff out n pack then.”

Kim jumped up and grabbed her coat then her face dropped she turned to Jayne and said,“In all the excitement I forgot to ask who was touring, what if I don’t like em?”

Jayne’s smile was now like the Cheshire cat, “I don’t think you will like them, it’s some old has been from America the Backstreet Boys or something”

Kim let out an almighty squeal “OH MY GOD I USE TO LOVE THEM!” she cried, “I didn’t even know they were still going. This is going to be soooo Cool!”

“I know you bloody did you weirdo, now get outta my house n go pack” Jayne laughed.
Chapter End Notes:
Please review thank you