- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is a little long but not worth splitting up. Hope you still enjoy :)
Chapter 23


Kim awoke the next morning to a very loud buzzing from her alarm, as she rubbed her sleepy eyes she felt Nick beginning to stir next to her. He instantly shuffled closer and wrapped his heavy arms around her as she snuggled into him.

“Good Morning.” He croaked.

Kim smiled as she pressed her dry lips against his chest.

Nick sighed heavily as sadness swept over him, remembering he had less than 24 hours left with Kim he held her a little tighter.

“I guess we should hurry up and get on our way else we’ll be late for work.” Kim softly whispered to Nick.

Looking at each other, they could see the pain building in the other’s eyes, trying her hardest to be strong Kim took a deep breath as she forced herself to break from Nicks embrace and reluctantly roll out of the bed.

“I’m just gunna take a quick shower, its gunna be a pretty hectic day.” Kim managed to smile as she headed towards the bathroom.

As the door closed behind her Nick threw his hands over his face and continued to lay there in silence as he tried to compose himself.


Kim stepped into the shower and emerged herself in the rain of steamy water, breathing increasingly heavily she felt her eyes begin to sting. The sorrow quickly turned to rage, she hated how they had become so close, so quickly and now it’s was all going to be taken away from them.
Her heart was telling her that it was ok they would be reunited soon enough but her head was telling her a long break like this after such a short time together would most likely push them straight back to square one.

“HUHHH” she shouted out as her fist uncontrollably flew out to the side of her and sharply made contact with the tiled wall.

“Ouch!” She muttered before beginning to laugh at herself for her foolish little tantrum.

There she made a promise to herself. To fully enjoy every minute of this last day together, even though they were both going to be super busy the day was too short to spend it wallowing in self-pity, she would make the most of what she had and be grateful for it.

Turning the shower off she heard a light tapping at the door, she grabbed a towel and carefully stepped out making her way to the door.
Opening it, she was greeted by Nick who was looking a little worried.

“What’s up?” She asked smiling.

“You OK? I heard a bang.” Nicks eyes scanned her checking she was fine.

“Yeah I just slipped and knocked the wall but its OK I’m fine.”

Nick took a step closer to her moving a wet strand of hair from her face, as his face moved closer to hers he parted his lips slightly.
Kim moved her head back and threw her hand up to her mouth.
Nick looked at her a little hurt by her obvious pass on his advances but she began to laugh.

“Sorry, I’ve not brushed my teeth yet.” She said with her hand still over her face.

Nick cocked an eyebrow at her.

“Morning breath!” She quickly explained.

“I don’t mind.” Nick moved closer again.

“Well I do.” Kim winked as she quickly turned on her heels and headed towards the sink leaving Nick to fall forward slightly.

Nick followed her over to the sink and mimicked her every move as they brushed their teeth together. As soon as they finished he placed his hands on her waist pulling her into him.

“Now no excuses.” He smiled as he lifted her chin with his finger and softly kissed her.

Kissing him back every feeling she just had suddenly vanished leaving her just stuck in that moment right then. She loved how he could make her feel like that, how nothing outside of their little bubble could get them, how all that mattered was just them two right then, right there.

Kim broke from the kiss as she felt her towel begin to slip; securing it back around herself she looked back up into Nick’s ocean blue eyes and widely smiled. Nick ran his finger along the top of where Kim’s towel met her chest.

“I think we got a few minutes to spare.” His eyes twinkled as he whispered down to Kim.

Kim chuckled. “Oh yeah Romeo”

Kim slowly walked her fingers up Nick’s bare chest and went up onto her tip toes, her lips seductively hovered over his. Feeling Nicks breathing rapidly increase Kim moved her lips round to his ear letting them softly glide over his cheek. As Nick let out a little gasp Kim wickedly smiled to herself in the knowledge, she had successfully turned him on.
Biting on her bottom lip she finally whispered into his ear.

“and I think you have just enough spare minutes to go and get yourself a shower and be down in the car ready to go.”
Kim tapped his chest and winked as she left him to watch her exit the bathroom. Nick rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth as he headed for a cold shower.


Before they knew it, it was already time to leave; Kim threw her bag over her shoulder and headed to the door as Nick performed a last sweep of the room making sure he had not left anything behind.

“Oh Nick.” Kim shouted from the doorway. “I’ve left my present on the table will you grab it for me please?”

“Yeah.” Nick shouted back as he ran to the other side of the room.

He found the velvet green box still on the table where Kim had left it the night before and quickly shoved it into his backpack.



Three hours later Nick and Kim pulled into the car park of the venue for the final show of the European tour, closely followed by the last of the buses. Although the journey had been quiet between the two of them, they were both grateful that they were just able to be next to each other. Kim let Nick catch up with some work he had to do for his new album so she did some reading, occasionally offering up some alternative words or suggestions to Nick when asked.

As the car parked by the back doors to the arena Kim and Nick continued to sit there in silence for a while.

“So what’s the plan for today then?” Kim finally asked.

“I guess its business as usual.” Nick did not make eye contact with Kim he knew as soon as he looked into her eyes he would lose control and his heart would begin to ache again.

“Business as usual.” Kim repeated.

Sensing the unhappy tone to Kim’s voice Nick forced himself to look over to her.

“I know we still got jobs to do Nicky and I promised myself I’d stay chipper about today but as the time is ticking away it’s getting harder and harder to not feel so sad.”

Nick stretched his hand out to hold Kim’s.
“I know and I feel it too, but unless you change your mind and agree to come back with me there’s not a lot we can do about it is there?”

Although Kim knew, Nick was right she did not like his response and pulled her hand away from his touch.

“What?” Nick snapped at her actions.

Kim shook her head. “Nothin, I just don’t wanna feel sad about today so let’s shake it off and get on with what we gotta do.”

Before Nick could answer Kim was making her way out of the car, he quickly followed her then met her by the boot of the car and helped lift her heavy bag out. Kim threw the bag over her shoulder and turned to walk off but Nick grabbed her arm stopping her.

“Kim” He sternly said.
“Please don’t make this harder than it is, you’re not the only one who’s hurting here so don’t push me away.”

Kim kept her eyes firmly glued to the floor until Nick’s feet became in her gaze.
He wrapped an arm around her neck and pulled her into him then gently kissed the top of her head.

“I meant what I said last night.” He whispered.

Kim lifted her head slightly revealing a puzzled look.
Looking down into her watery eyes Nick swallowed hard.
“I love you.”

A small tear slowly fell from Kim’s eye; Nick wiped it away using his thumb before kissing her gently.

Kim pulled away and smiled back at Nick. “Ok Mr fix it, your work here is done.”

Nick smiled broadly.

“So we best go and check in with everyone and get started on the day, I’ll meet you for my break just before sound check OK?” Kim quietly said.

Nick nodded. “OK sounds like a plan, text me or something if you get bored before then.”

“Will do, I’ll see you in a bit.” Kim gave Nick a quick peck on the lips before heading off to check in with Ash

“See ya later alligator.” Nick shouted after her.

“In a while crocodile.” She beamed back.


After getting her itinerary for the day and having a quick coffee and a catch up with Ash, Kim began her duties. Everything that could have gone wrong was going wrong with the equipment.

“It’s a bloody good job this is the last show.” Ash huffed as he began changing yet another fuse.

Kim checked her watch again as she switched another set of cables over.

“You got somewhere you need to be?” Ash joked.

Kim rolled her eyes. “I told Nick I’d meet him for my break before sound check but it doesn’t look like I’m going to be getting one at this rate.”

Another 20 minutes passed Kim and Ash’s patients with the equipment was fast disappearing.

“Gosh I really need a cigarette.” Kim shouted as she threw a broken set of wires over her shoulder.

“Will a coffee do for now?” a familiar voice said from behind Kim.

Instantly recognising it she smiled, and turned to look over the barriers on the platform she was working on.
Nick was standing below looking very pleased with himself as he showed off the large coffee containers he had brought with him.
Kim jumped down and squeezed Nick nearly causing him to spill the hot beverages.

“Oh you’re the best.” Kim kissed him on the cheek.

“Yeah a real fuckin, knight in shining armour.” Ash sarcastically muttered under his breath.

Nick faintly heard what Ash had said and glared up at him.

“Oh I’m sorry dude, I forgot about you I’m afraid I didn’t get you one.” Nick’s eyes narrowed as he fake smiled to Ash.

Ash jumped down from the platform.
“No worries BRO, I fancy an ice cold coke anyway.” Ash patted Nick on the back but it was a little harder than just a friendly tap.

Nick’s nostrils flared as he chewed on the inside of his mouth, trying his best not to cause a scene in front of Kim.

“Yeah NO WORRIES!” He snapped back.

Feeling the sudden surge of testosterone Kim intervened.

“So is it ok if I take my break now?” She turned to Ash.

“Yeah its cool, we’re done here anyway.” Ash threw his tool kit onto the platform then walked off leaving Kim and Nick behind.

Nick handed Kim her coffee then placed his free hand around her waist as they began to walk towards the exit.


The rain was beating down heavily outside, Nick and Kim sheltered in the doorway. Nick removed his jacket and placed it over Kim’s shoulders as she was only in jeans and a thin white T-shirt.

“So I gotta go as soon as the show ends tonight.” Nick said.

Kim nodded her head.

“Will you be able to wait backstage for me so I can say bye? I’ve literally gotta get off the stage and on a plane.” He sighed.

Kim nodded again. “Yeah of course I’ll be there.”

“Man this sucks I can’t believe I have to go so soon after the show.”

“I know baby, it’s so shit.” Kim spoke softly as she stretched her hand out to feel the rain.

“You’re getting my coat wet.” Nick joked.

“Oh well.” Kim joked before pushing Nick out into the pouring rain.

Nick screwed his face up as the rain pounded down even harder on him.
“Thanks.”

Kim laughed at him. Within seconds, Nick was soaked through.

“Oh you think it’s funny do you?” Nick wickedly smiled as he quickly moved towards Kim picking her up and sticking her in the middle of a huge puddle that had formed.

“Oh” she gasped as the cold water hit her skin.

“It’s not so funny now is it?” Nick laughed back at her.

Kim kicked the puddle so the water splashed up over Nick. His eyes widened with disbelief as the water hit him.

“Oh no you didn’t,” he laughed.

The pair then began chasing each other around the car park finding the biggest puddles they could to splash the other.
A loud whistle from across the car park interrupted their game. They looked over to see Brian standing in the doorway of one of the buses waving two towels at them.

“Come on now kids, come on in else you’ll both end up with pneumonia.” Brian hollered through the heavy rain.

Like a pair of naughty children, Nick and Kim both headed towards the authoritative figure sneaking in the occasional splash on the way.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading please review.