- Text Size +
Kim awoke to a tiny ray of light sneaking through a gap in the blind, wincing from the sharp pain in her head she pulled herself into an upright position. Inhaling as deeply as she could she ran her hands through her tangled hair stopping at the ends as she remembered stupidly getting it cut to short yesterday.

Hearing the door click behind her Kim quickly tried to wipe the smudged mascara away from under her eyes in a desperate bid to make herself look a little more alive.
Slowly looking over her shoulder Ash came into sight, he was wearing only a pair of light grey sweat pants, his well sculpted torso instantly gained Kim’s attention.
Making his way round to sit in front of Kim she refused to make eye contact with him as the doubt of how terribly she acted last night played on her mind.

‘How’s the head?’ Ash broke the silence.

Kim chewed her bottom lip and shook her head which made the level of pain increase even more.

‘Coffee?’ Ash asked before sliding off the chair to put the kettle on.

Kim still said nothing but just smiled to signal that she would like a cup.

Watching Ash like a hawk Kim admired how the muscles in his back seemed to dance even as he did as mundane a job as filling the kettle with water, she’d not noticed before but all of a sudden he seemed to have grown up.
Ash took his time as he sifted through some washing up left on the side in search of a clean cup, he really wanted to get to the bottom of what happened yesterday and find out if the ‘kiss’ had effected their friendship, but the more he searched for the right words to use, the more uneasy the atmosphere was becoming.

The pain in Kim’s head was making her feel sick now, she swallowed hard trying to keep the vomit sitting on the top of her stomach down, taking a heavy breath she decided to break the silence.

“Ash.” She paused for a second or two.
“I’m so, so, so sorry for my behaviour yesterday.” She paused again.
“And I’m so, so, so sorry if I did anything stupid to embarrass you.”

Ash slowly looked over his shoulder.
“So you don’t remember anything about yesterday?”

Kim shrugged, “I know I’ve done something stupid, but it’s all very hazy at the min.”

Ash placed two cups on the table not sure if he was upset or relieved.

“I’m just gunna grab a T shirt it’s pretty chilly in here.”

As Ash disappeared into the back, Kim grabbed her bag and began rummaging around in search of some pain killers for her head, as she did her hand fell on a large bottle of vodka, she pulled it out and placed it on the table in front of her before going back into the back for the pills.
Once located she popped two out of the packet and let them rest in her hand, Kim looked over to the tap before returning her gaze back to the half empty bottle, as she stared a pain shot through her chest, she quickly grabbed the bottle, unscrewed the cap and swilled the tablets down with a few large gulps of the vodka, wincing slightly at the after taste.


Hearing the door creek she quickly replaced the cap and stuffed the bottle into the bottom of her bag.

“So you gunna talk me through what the hell happened yesterday or am I just gunna carry on guessin what the hell’s goin on in your head?” Ash questioned as he slammed himself down into the seat.

Kim looked up a little shocked by his tone, but knowing full well she had been an idiot yesterday she didn’t argue back. Instead she just sat in silence feeling so ashamed of herself.

“Well?” Ash pushed.

Kim slowly raised her head and peered at him through her blood shot eyes.

“Look I know your feelin shit and I hate that this has happened, but yesterday you acted so stupidly Kim, just going off like that and getting wasted in a strange place, anything could have happened to you and nobody would have known.”
Ash’s tone was harsh and to the point. The more he had run things through his head the more pissed he became with Kim.

Kim’s eyes grew wide, feeling sorry for herself she snapped back.

“Ok I know I was stupid for just going off alone, but for fucks sack Ash, you’re not the fuckin boss of me, and I was upset.”

Ash through himself back into the chair and began to nervously laugh.

“Seriously Kim your gunna try and argue this with me? If you hadn’t have come back do you know the implications that would have had for me, not only job wise but how do I explain to your mom n dad that I let you go missing in a foreign country and didn’t keep my promise to look out for you?”

Kim wasn’t in the mood to hear Ash’s little rant, her head hurt and she felt stupid enough without some kid rubbin it in her face.

“Jesus Christ Ash I know OK, I fuckin Know. I don’t need this right now.”

Ash stood up his face was almost glaring at Kim.
“You don’t need this right now hey, Kim I don’t need this right now, I’ve got enough shit to be dealing with and worry about without having to babysit you, as your friend I’m sorry this shit went down and you have to go through this, but as your boss if you can’t cope or do you job, well then I need to let you go.”

Ash instantly regretted saying that, but not only did he have to think about what was best for his career, his pride was slightly dented by last night and he always felt like it was one step forward three steps back with Kim.
Ash looked to the floor feeling a little ashamed of him, he kind of hoped now he had, had this rant it would pull Kim back to herself.

Kim said nothing to Ash as she took a deep breath and slid of her seat; she quietly made her way to the end of the bus and disappeared into the sleeping area.
Ash slumped back into his seat and threw his head into his hands.

There was an eerie quiet around the bus, Ash has spent the last 25 minutes toying with weather he should go and apologise to Kim. As he finally decided it was better to stand his ground and take the rough love approach, he heard the door click down the other end of the bus.

There was a lot of fumbling around as a bleary eyed Kim appeared struggling with a large holdall.

“What are you doin?” Ash laughed from his seat.

Kim said nothing but carried on trying to make her way through the cramped bus to the exsit.

“Seriously Kim what the hell are you doin?” Ash began to panic a little now, but still Kim didn’t respond.

“KIM” Ash shouted as he jumped from his seat.

“You don’t want me here, I’m too much agro for you, so I’ll just get out of your hair so you can happily carry on without the worry of me getting in your way.” Kim began to cry as she stuttered the words.

“Kim what the fuck? You’re actin like a little spoilt brat, you’re still drunk, now stop being stupid.” Ash was getting cross now.

“See!” Kim was uncontrollably sobbing. “You’re just being horrible.”

Ash stood there in disbelief. “Oh My God!” Ash placed his hand over his mouth in shock and began shaking his head.
“I can’t do this.” He finally muttered as he threw his hands up in the air.
“You know what, just go. Go on!” He shouted as he barged past her to open the door to let her out.
“Get the fuck outta here!”

The pair stared at each other in rage before Kim stormed out onto the cold car park.