- Text Size +
As Kim made her way to the large cast iron gates at the end of the car park, she began to wonder what her next move would be once she reached them. Although she was certain she didn’t really want to go home, she knew she wouldn’t be able to put up with Ash and his attitude towards her a minute longer.

Stopping half way across the car park Kim let her bag slide off her shoulder then began hunting around in it for her cigarettes, soon locating them she popped one in her mouth, lit it and inhaled deeply, as she blew out the smoke a familiar voice sounded in her ear.

“Going somewhere?” it said.

Kim smiled instantly as the gruff tones of AJ’s voice crept into her ear.

Stepping into view AJ playfully pinched one her cigarettes from the open box.

“Well?” he questioned again as he proceeded to take the lighter off Kim.

Kim felt her lip quiver as warm drops of tears rolled from her cheeks.

“Dude.” AJ’s tones changed to an almost unrecognisable soothing melody, as he threw an arm around Kim hugging her as tightly as he could.

“What’s up English?” he pressed. Kim managed a small smile it was almost comforting to hear him call her that again.

“Is it Nicky?”

Fresh tears fell from her tired eyes as she shrugged her shoulders.
AJ gripped his cigarette firmly between his lips as he used his now free hand to carry Kim’s bag, slowly guiding her out of the rain and under a small bus stop like shelter.

Kim perched on a ledge trying desperately to compose herself, smoke from her cigarette wafted up in her face causing her eyes to sting even more.
AJ stood helplessly in front her not quite sure what to do, he didn’t like the feeling he was getting from seeing her in this state, it was almost as if he was watching his own sister crumble before him, anger and frustration soon began to set in.

‘C’mon English, talk to me dude. What’s goin on in your head?’

Kim kept quiet, taking another drag on her cigarette.

‘Kim!ŽAJ snapped. ‘Seriously girl, I really wanna help you but you gotta help me out a little to, by tellin me what the hell is goin on in your head.’

As if AJ had asked God for a little help, Kim’s shoulder bag dropped to the floor and out rolled the half empty bottle of vodka from the night before.

AJ instantly picked it up before Kim could and held it out in front of her face.

‘So this is the road you’re going down?’ AJ sternly asked.

Unable to look AJ in the eyes, Kim kept her eyes on the floor.
Shame and embarrassment swarmed her body causing her cheeks to turn a bright chrism shade.

AJ stomped out the nub of his cigarette and gently sat next to Kim.
He instantly knew where she was and what she was feeling, he’d been there so many times before and knew if he didn’t intervene and get to the bottom of it she was going to go further down before she rose back up.

‘Kim’ he almost whispered.
‘You really gotta tell me everything, I so wanna help you and trust me when I tell you I’ve walked this road many times before and it never leads anywhere good.’

Kim looked up into AJ’s deep set eyes; they were almost as watery as hers now.
Knowing she couldn’t speak, she hoped her eyes would signal to AJ that she wanted his help and she was in pain.

Sure enough he got the message.

‘Look, come back to my bus Rochelle is over there to, get dry and warm and talk to us OK?’

Kim silently nodded and let AJ guide her over to his bus.

As soon as the bus door opened Rochelle came into view, seeing the state Kim was in she threw her arms around her and held her tight.
Kim bravely fought back tears trying to get a grip of her situation.

‘Awww honey, what’s the matter?’ Rochelle cried, she looked up to AJ who just shrugged his shoulders.

Rochelle patted Kim on the back then led her over to the sofa, instructing AJ along the way to make them all a coffee.

Kim nervously perched on the edge of the seat, not looking forward to the prospect of having to spill her guts.
Looking up Rochelle had now joined AJ in the kitchen and they were whispering to each other, AJ obviously filling Rochelle in on what just happened. Kim’s emotions were flying around inside her like a roller-coaster, she hadn’t known these people for very long and it confused her as to why she felt closer to them than some of her own family members.

It wasn’t too long before AJ was back, tray in hand with coffee and biscuits for all.
AJ and Rochelle sat either side of Kim causing her to feel a little claustrophobic.

‘Whenever you’re ready Kim, we’re here to listen ok?’
Rochelle softly spoke as she gently patted Kim’s knee.

Kim managed a smile to Rochelle, she was such a calming influence.

‘I honestly don’t know where to start.’
Kim whispered as she took a small sip of coffee, hoping it would somehow prevent her from crying again.

‘Well the beginning is normally the best place.’ AJ chuckled, causing Rochelle to scowl at him for his inappropriate laugh.

‘Honey why don’t you start with what happened with you and Nicky? I’m just second guessing here but I kinda feel like that is where all this started.’
Rochelle was trying her best to just get Kim to open up.

After a deep breath and another sip of coffee, Kim began her tale, everything from her first day on the job, Andy, Nick, Ash, everything right up to present moment.


A good few hours went past, as Kim brought the story to a close everyone just sat back in their seats.

‘Holy shit, Kim.’ AJ finally brought the uncomfortable silence to an end.

‘You poor girl.’ Rochelle wept as she flung her arms around Kim embracing her as tightly as she possibly could.

‘I can’t believe you didn’t tell Nicky though Kim, you know he would have totally stuck by you and you guys would still be together now!’

‘I know maybe I should have, but I was just so upset and embarrassed by the whole ordeal. I was really ashamed and I guess I couldn’t deal with him feeling that about me too!’
Kim hung her head in shame finally realising she had done wrong.

AJ let out a huge sigh. ‘So what do we do now? You should speak to Nicky Kim.’

‘I can’t yet.’ Kim immediately snapped.

AJ looked at little hurt by her tone.

‘Sorry AJ, I didn’t mean to snap.’ Kim apologised with a smile. ‘I’m just not ready to go there yet.’

‘It’s OK, you gotta do what you gotta do, but in my opinion Kim he should know and it might change things for you both.’

Kim furiously shook her head.
‘No, I can’t go back there AJ. I get I have done wrong by not telling him, but he did wrong to by getting with that girl and not even trying to talk to me! I just don’t think I can forgive or forget something like that AJ, it really hurts you know?’

‘Yeah I understand.’ AJ nodded in agreement.
‘look just do me one favour and don’t totally right Nicky off just yet ok, just think about it ok?’

Kim reluctantly nodded just to please AJ but deep down knew the bridge between her and Nick couldn’t be mended, her heart just hurt too much and she wasn’t totally to blame in all this.

‘So what you wanna do honey? Rochelle asked trying to lighten the mood.

Kim shrugged her shoulders. ‘I dunno, I guess I should try and figure out a flight home or,,’

‘WHAT?’ Rochelle loudly interrupted.
‘You can’t just go home, you love this job. I’ve seen how happy it make you.’

‘Yeah but I had a huge reason to be happy then and besides, were you not listening to the story? Ash and I had a fight I have to go now, he doesn’t want me here.’ Kim sighed

‘Phfffft’ Rochelle huffed.
‘It would crush that boy if you left. Come on lets get you cleaned up, change of clothes and a little TLC from MAC, then you can go tell Ash you’re an idiot and get back to work!’

Kim smiled as Rochelle dragged her of the sofa and headed towards the sleeping area.

‘I’ll just go have a cigarette then shall I?’ AJ shouted after them

‘Yeah, whatever!’ Rochelle shouted back.

AJ shook his head in disbelief that he’d just been ditched.
As he hunted around for a dry box of cigarettes he was knocked forward as a pair of arms flung around him and held him tight.

‘Thank you!’

He looked over his shoulder to see Kim clinging onto him.

‘Hey English, it’s nothing. Just wish you’d spoken up sooner, y’know!’

Kim nodded.
‘Yeah sorry, I kinda fucked up didn’t I?’

‘Yeah, just a little.’ AJ laughed ‘but don’t worry k, it can all be fixed.’

‘I’m glad you found me AJ, I know how this is gunna sound but I can see clearly again now and feel a hell of a lot better, just hope I can patch it up with Ash.’

‘Don’t worry bout Ash, I doubt very much he actually wanted you to go, he loves ya English, we all do! And hey if his an jerk and won’t take ya back I’ll fire his ass n give you his job!’ AJ joked.

‘Thanks again AJ’ Kim tip toed up and planted a kiss on his cheek before heading back to Rochelle.

AJ watched as she disappeared into the back, feeling pleased with himself he began to whistle as he continued his hunt for the cigarettes.
Chapter End Notes:
*******Please leave feeback*******
Thanks for reading :)