- Text Size +
Chapter 34

Waking to the warm caress of the morning sunlight beaming on her face, Kim smiled to herself.
Today was officially the first day of the new and improved her, after a long soak in the hotel tub and one hell of an amazing night sleep, Kim was refreshed, renewed and rewired and after delving deep into the second hour of her bubble bath Kim had decided to make a pact with herself.
There was to be no more destructive behaviour, her body was her temple and she was going to look after it by eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, which ment laying of the excessive alcohol consumption and finding the time to tone and get back into her dancing.
After toying with the idea of giving up smoking too, she quickly made her excuses of too much to soon and opted to stick with it for just a little while longer anyway! Everyone needed a little sin to keep them sane!
The second part of her pact was that there was to be no more whining, moping, sulking or time wasting about men. From this day forth it was all about enjoying an amazing opportunity, making new friends and having a bloody good laugh, wanting and worry about life wasn’t making it interesting or successful, it was just wasting it. Destiny was now being left to run its own course and situations would be dealt with as and when needed.

Kim had been grateful to Ash for allowing her to not work last night and stay in a hotel ready for the long haul move to the next destination. It was a bit of a tight schedule because it meant by the time they had set down and travelled to the next venue they would have to set up again straight away just in time for the boys next show, there was no room for any hiccups and Ash needed Kim on top form so he had given her the night off to get her head in the game.

With this fresh in her mind Kim dived out of her bed, switched the TV on to some obscure morning breakfast show.

‘I guess I should have enough time to hit the gym, have a swim and grab some food before I need to get back.’ She said counting round the minutes on her watch.

Kim turned and picked up her back pack from the floor then began routing around for something she could wear in the hotel gym but the only thing she could locate was a pair of old cotton shorts which she used for bed.

‘Ah who cares, it’s only me that knows.’ She muttered as she went back in the bag in search of a vest of some kind.

After talking herself into the shorts for the second time Kim quickly threw on the ad hock outfit, got a hand towel, iPod and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before darting out the room.



Back on site everyone was nursing pretty bad hangovers, not having to pack up after the show everyone had decided to go out after it and sample the local nightlife. Ash pottered around the arena after telling the 100th group of girls that the Backstreet Boys were not around and had gone off to do TV and radio promos.
Pulling up a couple of boxes left by the door of the bus Ash carefully plonked himself on one then used the other as a make shift table as he began tinkering around with some wires and fuses until he was interrupted by a large American football bouncing of the back of his head.

‘Ouch’ he cried as he spun round in search of the culprit.

‘Hey sorry Mr, may I have my ball back please.’

Ash smiled at the sight of the small boy stood before him. Instantly feeling at ease the boy took a few steps closer to Ash and dropped to his knees.

‘What ya doin?’ He inquisitively asked.

‘Just seeing if I can repair these broken things.’ Ash instantly responded a little taken back by the confidence of the young chap in front of him.

‘Why don’t you just buy new ones? That what my dad does, if something’s broke he just buys replacements, but sometimes I try to fix the things ya know.’ The kid rambled on as Ash chuckled.

‘So where are your parents, I don’t think they’d be too happy about you disappearing off. I’m sure they’ll be looking for you won’t they?’ Ash cut the boy off as he scanned the car park but no one was in sight.

‘Yeah, momma gets pretty worried if she doesn’t spot me straight away. It’s kinda annoying ya no especially when there’s cute chicks about, I’m like jeez Mom I’m 7 years old now cut me some slack.’

Ash burst out laughing. ‘Are you sure you won’t get in trouble for talking to strangers then?’

The boy looked at his feet a little embarrassed. ‘Hey I’m Baylee.’ He finally said stretching out his hand towards Ash.

‘Well Baylee, I’m Ash and I’m very pleased to meet you.’ Ash took Baylee’s hand and gave it a firm shake.

‘Yeah I know you.’ Baylee smiled.
‘I’ve seen you in the sky messing with the lights, it looks pretty scary all the way up there but I bet it’s a great view, like being a bird or something. I’d like to be a bird that would be pretty cool.’ Baylee started to ramble again.

‘Wow you can talk some.’ Ash joked as Baylee’s eyes dropped to the floor again.
‘So Baylee, who’s 7 years old and wants to be a bird who fixes things, wanna give me a hand with these wires?’

‘Yeah, I guess that’ll be cool.’ Baylee shifted onto his bottom as he kept one eye on Ash subtly mimicking his mannerisms.

The two sat there in the cool breeze for a good 20 minutes as Ash taught Baylee a few tricks of the trade when it came to rewiring and they chatted about everything that popped into Baylee’s fascinated mind.

‘Baylee, Baylee’

The frantic tones came from the other side of the car park as Leighanne stepped off the bus, eyes scanning everywhere for her young son.

‘I’m here ma.’ Baylee called over from where he was eagerly perched helping Ash.

Leighanne elegantly glided across the car park to Baylee.

‘What cha doin mini man? Her voice was soft and soothing as she ruffled her son’s hair.

‘Ma’ Baylee protested as he smoothed down his tussled curls.
‘This is Ash mom, look what he’s taught me to do.’

He waved a few cables in his mother’s face pleased as punch with his accomplishment.

Leighanne flashed a huge smile full of prise as she looked clueless at the wires.
‘Well done you.’

Leighanne turned to Ash and offered her hand.
‘Hi I’m Brian’s wife Leigh and I see you’ve meet our son Baylee.’

‘Hello I’m Ash.’ Getting to his feet he took her hand and shook it.
‘That’s quite a kid you have there.’

‘Yeah he can be quite full on at times, I’m sorry if he’s held you up I’ll get him out your way now.’ Leighanne smiled.

‘Oh no, he’s been no trouble at all, really helped me out actually.’ Ash turned and winked at Baylee who was looking a little upset at the thought of having to leave.

Leighanne too spotted Baylee’s reaction to having to go, so she pulled up another box and sat herself down next to Ash’s seat.

‘Well if that’s the case then maybe you could teach me to?’ She smiled broadly as an excited Baylee began pulling a handful of wires from a tub.

Leighanne turned to Ash and whispered,
‘Maybe now I’ll understand what he just showed me.’

Ash laughed as he took his seat and let Baylee conduct his master class for his mother, every now and then Baylee would look too Ash for reassurance he was doing the right thing.

‘He’s a cute kid.’ Ash turned to Leighanne

She smiled proudly ‘Yeah he’s amazing, a bit full on at times but amazing. You know he’s been in awe of you guys up in the celling he thinks your all super heroes like spider man.’

They both chuckled.

‘Well I’ve never been likened to a super hero before, I could get used to that.’ Ash joked.

‘I hope you don’t think I’m outta line here, but do you mind me asking what happened with Kim and Nick? I know I never really got a chance to get to know her but the few times I did get to say Hello she seemed like such a nice girl, just what Nick needed in his life but then it all just stopped and nobody seems to know why.’ Leighanne uncomfortably repositioned herself on the tiny box.

Ash shook his head. ‘I honestly wish I knew and so does she. It’s hit her hard you know.’

‘What do you mean and so does she? Please tell me she knew they had split up before she saw him with Lauren, please.’ Leighanne interrupted, as she pleaded with Ash.

Ash shrugged. ‘I guess she knew it was over when Nick never bothered to contact her after he left Europe.’

‘That was it? Nick just left Europe and left her behind, no explanation?’ Leighanne stared at Ash confused.

‘Yep pretty much.’

‘It just doesn’t make any sense though.’ Leighanne continued to try and piece the puzzle together.
‘From the way Brian spoke about their relationship it was like Nick was head over heels, you know Brian even said it looked like Kim could be ‘the one’ and Nick was, well. I just don’t get it!’

‘You and me both.’ Ash chipped in.

There was a prolonged silence as the two adults pondered what went wrong.

‘Kim has another boyfriend.’ Baylee sharply broke the silence.

Ash and Leighanne both jolted out of their thoughts.

‘What you say baby?’ Leighanne asked.

‘Nicky said Kim has another boyfriend and that’s why they can’t be friends anymore. I like Kim she’s pretty and she knows loads of jokes, she’s funny.’ Baylee’s thoughts went back to his wires as Ash and Leighanne stared at him.

‘Baylee I don’t understand what you mean honey. When did Nick tell you this?’ Leighanne knelt next to her son.

‘The other day, I was playing Mario with Nick and I asked him if he would bring Kim to play cause I don’t like Lauren she doesn’t talk to me she only talks to the grown-ups and Nick said that we can’t play with Kim anymore because there not friends anymore because she has another boyfriend. I got loads of boyfriends and girlfriends so I don’t know why Kim isn’t allowed lots to.’

Ash almost laughed at Baylee’s naivety.

Ash turned to Leighanne and shrugged raising his palms to the sky.

‘Baylee did Nicky say anything else to you about Kim or her new friend?’ Ash leaned forward to get closer to Baylee.

‘Nope that was it, he got cross then because I’d distracted him from the game and won.’ Baylee continued with his task.

‘It just doesn’t make any sense.’ Leighanne stood up
‘what does he mean Kim has another boyfriend Ash?’

Ash stood up and stepped away Baylee so he was slightly out of hearing range, Leighanne followed him.

‘Leighanne she honest as I stand here before you has not even looked at anyone other than Nick.
Maybe Baylee has misunderstood.’

Leighanne shook her head causing her soft golden hair to ripple.
‘No, no that boy’s got some kind of photographic memory never forgets a dam thing, believe me.’ She cocked an eyebrow.
‘Nicks seen or heard something from somewhere and got it into his head that, that’s the case.’

‘So why did he not confront Kim about it? Why just skulk away without a word?’ Ash chewed his lip as he processed Baylee’s information again.

‘He wouldn’t.’ Leighanne sighed.
‘Whatever he thought he seen or knew he’s just shut it out to protect himself.’

‘Shit’ Ash muttered.

Leighanne looked at him sternly.

‘Oh sorry’ Ash apologised as if his mom had just scolded him.
‘So what now?’ He asked.

‘I don’t know.’ Leighanne stroked her chin in thinking mode.
‘Look we have an appointment to view some dogs soon so we’re gunna have to go, but see if you can find out any more from Kim and I’ll speak to Brian and if anyone gets any further in the rabbit hunt we’ll let the other know.’

‘Ok, sounds like a plan but,’ Ash stopped.

‘But what?’ Leighanne stared at Ash.

‘Well, I think Kim may just be starting to put it behind her and well I don’t wanna be pushing her back to square one.’ Ash softly said.

‘Ok well it’s entirely up to you how you wanna play it, if that’s the case then maybe hang on till we find out some more information.? Leighanne softly smiled

‘Ok cool, let me know then as soon as you find anything.’

‘I will.’ Leighanne smiled again before turning to Baylee.
‘Baylee honey, we’ve got to go now and look at the doggies, say thank you and goodbye to Ash for letting you help him out.’

‘But I’ve not finished yet, I don’t even wanna go look at the stupid dogs, there for babies not roadies.’ Baylee huffed.

Ash took a few steps towards Baylee then knelt beside him.
‘Look fella if you behave for your mom and be a good boy then maybe when you get back she will let you come and help me in the celling, You know a big part of being a roadie is being able to follow orders.’

Baylee’s eyes lit up like giant stars. ‘Oh ma can I, can I please help Ash when we get back Please?’

Leighanne smiled grateful to Ash for the persuasion.
‘Ok as long as Ash doesn’t mind.’

‘Thanks mom, thanks Ash.’ Baylee beamed as he hopped to his feet ready to follow his mothers instructions.

‘No problem mate, see you when you get back ok.’ Ash squeezed his shoulder.

‘Thanks, I guess I’ll be in touch.’ Leighanne whispered to Ash as she held Baylee’s hand and began to lead him back across the car park.

‘Oh and don’t forget to be good else the deals off!’ Ash shouted after them.

‘Will do Ash.’ Baylee shouted back before waving.

‘Cute kid.’ Ash chuckled to himself as he settled back down to clear the mess before it was time to get back to the day job.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading, please leave a comment. :)