- Text Size +
Chapter Twelve - January 22

"You're extremely stubborn; do you know that?"

"Did you really think I was going to just lie in bed waiting for you to bring our son home? I can sit in a car just as well as I can sit up in bed."

Liv and I were headed to the hospital. I think both of us hoped that it would be the last time we would see the place for a good long time. Noah was five pounds six ounces and ready to tackle the world.

Or at least life in the Carter house.

Dr. Tresher was waiting for us as we stepped out of the elevator.

"Are you here for your delivery?" she asked.

"I've been counting the minutes all morning," Liv said happily.

We followed Dr. Tresher into an empty room. I had a brand new blue and brown car seat in tow; Liv had an outfit specially picked out for the occasion.

Noah was lying in a bassinet by the window. His eyes were wide and his little mittened hands were fast at work.

"Now, before we let you take him and run, let's go over a couple maintenance things you'll have to tackle with him. Boys are a little needier than girls."

Liv smiled. "Tell me about it."

Dr. Tresher opened up a venerable Mary Poppins-like bag and pulled out ointments and cremes. I was glad everything was labeled. I just stood there and nodded like I was memorizing her every instruction; in reality I was thinking ahead about getting to watch my first football game with my son. I was pretty sure there was a game on tomorrow night...

"Nick?"

Damn. I seemed to be zoning out a little too well lately. "Huh?"

"Do you have any questions?"

I shook my head and gave my best lopsided grin. "Nope. All set."

"Alright. How's the incision Liv?"

"It's disgusting but it's not swollen and there's no puss."

Never in my life did I think that I would be in a relationship long enough to hear a girl say the word 'puss.' Now that's true love.

"Great. Well, I'm going to schedule you and Noah for an office visit next week. And while we're at it, I think it's time for Brooke to have another check-up."

"I feel so left out," I said with a smile.

"Well if you really want a shot..."

"No! No, that's cool. I'm good with being the driver."

Dr. Tresher laughed. After a round of good-byes and signatures of the discharge papers, she left us to get Noah ready.

"Oh what a big boy you are," Liv cooed as she hovered over the bassinet. "You're going home today."

I watched as she changed him out of a basic terry cloth onesie. She took a little shirt and tiny jeans out of her bag. I grinned when I saw the shirt.

"Hey, where'd you get that?"

Liv laughed. "Kevin dropped it by yesterday while you were at the store. He said that Brian, Howie, and AJ chipped in for it because when Kev showed it to them they all thought of you."

"Big spenders," I teased. Liv carefully slipped the shirt over Noah's head. It was a light blue screen printed newborn t-shirt that read 'Lock Up Your Daughters' with a lock dangling off the 'L.'

"I don't know whether I should laugh or be insulted," I said with a smile.

"I'm going to go with laugh," Liv said. She pulled out her camera and took a picture. Noah blinked rapidly and began to cry.

"Hey paparazzi, no pictures," I said. I picked him up and got him into the car seat. I figured since he was already crying, there was no reason to make him cry twice. After I buckled him in, I rocked the car seat gently until his cries subsided. I heard Liv take another picture. I looked up and she smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry, but it's a big moment," she said softly.

"I stood up, picked up the car seat, and squeezed Liv's hand."

"Let's go home."

--------------------------------------

Angel had put her creativity to good use again. Between the time we left the house to the time we returned, she had draped a large "It's a Boy" banner across the front of the house. Liv's mom was tying blue balloons to the mailbox as we drove it.

"Hey, this is private property," I teased as I rolled down my window.

"Grandmother's rights trump property rules."

Liv laughed from the backseat. I was glad for the two extra sets of hands. As I helped Liv to the house, Angel grabbed the car seat.

"I want to see the nursery," Liv said. I shook my head.

"There's no need. He's camping out with us in the downstairs bedroom."

Liv glanced at the stairs but turned down the hallway.

"Is Brooke still napping?" I called behind my shoulder.

"She was about five minutes ago."

I had taken Brooke to the hospital right before Liv gave birth but this would be the first time that Brooke would meet her brother. I think I was just as excited for that moment as I was just to be bringing Noah home. I settled Liv on the bed, Angel placed the car seat beside her, and I turned towards the door.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm getting Brooke. I'll be right back."

I took the stairs two at a time. I rounded the corner into the nursery and laughed.

Brooklyn was standing up using the crib rail for support. I watched as she tossed a small gray bunny over the rail, her eyes following his downward pitfall. On the ground was a massive pile of stuffed animals that had already met a similar fate.

"So much for napping, huh sweet pea?"

I'm pretty sure I scared her. She turned towards me with eyes as big as saucers. Immediately she plopped on her bottom and proceeded to look 100% innocent.

I stepped over the pile of plushies and scooped her up.

"Dada...doooooooooo!"

I don't know what a 'doo' is, but I'm pretty sure it was something good. I tossed her gently then brought her to rest on my hip.

"I've got a surprise for you," I said happily. We headed back down the stairs. As we headed towards the bedroom, Brooke clapped her hands.

"Mama," she said knowingly.

"Right, mama," I said. I walked into the room. Liv had Noah in her arms; Liv's mom was hovering over her shoulder.

"And this is your baby brother, Noah."

I brought Brooke right up to the bed and leaned her down so she could see his little face. Already in my mind I could see the adorable image of her pouty little lips kissing his tiny forehead and his hand grasping one of her fingers. I was getting myself teary-eyed just thinking about it.

My happy tears didn't last long; in fact they were replaced by hearing loss. Brooklyn took one look at Noah and screamed so loud that it put the kid from Home Alone to shame. Noah's whole body became rigid from fear and then he began to wail at the top of his lungs. Brooklyn swung her body around, smashing her face into my side like she had just seen Freddy Krueger or one of those fugly aliens from Independence Day. I felt her little nails through the thin material of my Fraggle Rock t-shirt.

We were off to a great start.

------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure about this?"

I felt a little like Prince Charming sliding on Cinderella's glass slipper as I helped Liv into a pair of flats. Noah had been home twenty-four hours and oh, what a twenty-four hours it had been. Brooklyn was terrified of Noah. Anytime I would try to take her anywhere in his direction she began to scream. Then Noah began to cry. Then it took over an hour for Liv or I or both of us to get both of them calmed down. Then like a dog who barfs, eats the barf, then throws it up and does it all over again, I would get the brilliant idea to bring Brooke back into the room. And it would start all over again.

"I feel horrible that you're not going on the publicity junket. And this is the only day Sam has free before he goes out on the road with the guys."

Livvy, bless her heart, had asked Sam to tape a little video from me to the fans to be put on the website and for the guys to show during their interviews. Normally, I would be all up for it, but since we were both running on about two hours sleep, I wasn't feeling so enthusiastic.

"Do you think we should all match?" Liv asked.

"Honey," I said, barely suppressing a yawn. "I know Leighanne pulls it off, but Brian's a much better mannequin then I am. Plus, you've got to remember we're Carters. I know what would happen if we took the time to all match. Brooklyn would probably throw up her lunch; Noah would probably need a diaper change; I would get Dorito dust all down the front of me, and you would probably get puked on, pooped on, or you would get your shirt stuck in the door and rip it to shreds. I think it's better if we just stay normal."

Liv laughed. "You call that normal?"

I leaned back on the ground by her feet. "That's pretty much our normal, yup."

An hour later, Sam was in our living room fiddling with his video camera. Liv had put on a soft red cashmere sweater and long skirt, complete with little dangly earrings. Brooke was yanking at the long sleeves of her miniature sweater, her face registering dislike. She yanked up the bottom of her denim jumper and smashed it back down impatiently. I was wearing my Bucs jersey and jeans. Noah was dressed in a Bucs onesie. So, even though we didn't all match, we did pretty well.

"You look beautiful," I told Liv. She smiled.

"It hides my flubber well," she said.

I was holding Noah in my arms. Brooke's eyes zeroed in on the little wiggling bundle. She started to scream.

"Holy guacamole," Sam said, looking up from the camera. "You weren't kidding about that scream, Liv."

Liv sighed. She sat down on the couch and pulled Brooke into her lap. The baby banshee continued to freak out.

Now, I don't always have the best ideas, but I'd like to think of myself as a pretty good problem solver at times. I opened the toy box in the corner of the living room and rooted through it. When my fingers closed around a pair of bright white star sunglasses, I picked them up and nudged the lid closed.

I weaved around my recliner and slid the glasses onto Brooke's little face.

The screaming stopped. Liv and I both looked at her. She was like a chess piece; I was anticipating her next move.

She touched the glasses. Then she waved her hands in front of her face. She started to laugh.

I sat down beside Liv and positioned Noah in the crook of my arm.

"Sam, we better roll. There's no telling how long those are going to keep her distracted."

Sam grinned. "No problem. In three...two...one..."

The red light on the camera came to life. I smiled.

"Hi guys. Nick here. I'm so sorry that I can't be with the guys right now to promote our upcoming album Going Strong, but I have a pretty good excuse."

I lifted Noah up. "I'd like you meet the newest Carter, Noah Gene. He showed up a little earlier than expected, but after a little time in the NICU he's home and doing just fine. I'm taking a few weeks to help take care of him and our daughter Brooke while Liv recuperates."

Liv waved to the camera. I saw Brooke's hand wrap around the front of the glasses. It was time to wrap it up and fast.

"I want to thank everyone for their support and I will be seeing you out on the road VERY soon. Love ya!"

"DADA!" Brooklyn said happily. I saw Sam press stop; Brooke got the glasses off. She turned to look at me. Noah let out the biggest spit bubble I had ever seen in my life. Brooke's eyes widened.

And the screaming and crying began again.

Except this time, I think even I started to cry a little bit.