- Text Size +
Chapter Sixty Three

Matt seemed to see me at the exact moment that I saw him. He got to his feet.

"What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to Angel."

I could just barely see the lingering results of his run-in with me and the bikers. The skin below his eyes was a sickly yellowish color. He held his side; I assumed he might have gotten a broken rib out of the whole thing.

Good.

"I don't think she wants to see you," I said cooly.

"Nick."

I turned around. Angel was standing behind me.

"I told you to wait in the car."

She smiled. "I never listen."

"Angel--" Matt began. I held up a hand.

"I didn't say you could talk," I said hotly.

"Nick, I'll talk to him."

"But--"

"It's okay."

I folded my arm and stepped to the side. I didn't make any quick movements back to the car.

"I want to talk to her alone," Matt said. I snorted.

"I don't care what you want."

"Nick..."

I held up my hands. "Fine. Just trying to help."

I headed back to the car and slid behind the wheel. Liv turned to me.

"What's Matt doing here?"

I shrugged. "I'll be damned if I know."

"DAM!"

Brooke tossed a teddy bear at my head. Noah started to laugh.

"Dddddd," he managed to get out. I think it was probably easier to just let his sister do the hard work.

I picked up the teddy bear and handed it back to Brooke, never once taking my eyes off of the scene going on outside.

Angel's arms were crossed and Matt had on his smooth 'I Can't Believe it's not Butter' smile. At one point Angel started to shake her head. I reached for the handle.

"Nick, she's going to lay into you if you go out there," Liv said wisely. I sighed.

As the minutes ticked by, Matt began to look more and more agitated. He tried to hand Angel something, but she hit his hand away.

At the sight of actual skin contact, I ignored Liv's warning and hoped out of the car.

"You can't buy this away," Angel said. "Four months from now this baby will be here, whether you like it or not."

"Listen, we both know that you trapped me into this. I don't know whether you were looking for an instant husband, but it sure as hell isn't going to be me."

"Ahem."

Matt looked up. I stood about a half a foot taller than him. I tried to make it look like even more.

"I think you need to leave."

"Who do you think you are? I should have had you arrested for sending the freakin' Hells Angels after me."

"I don't think those guys were Hells Angels," I explained.

"They broke my ribs!"

"Good, they should have snapped off your dick while they were at it," I said coldly.

Matt and I stared each other down. It was a ritualistic male tradition that dated back through the centuries and from the time of the earliest animals.

"Nick, just let him leave," Angel sighed.

That was easier said then done. He was on my home turf. It was like those stupid Twilight books. Vampire vs. werewolf. Amazingly hot dad vs. worthless sperm donor.

I don't know who lunged first, but Liv told me later it was me. My hands pressed into his shoulders and down we went onto the grass in beautiful suburbia, U.S.A.

Our neighborhood doesn't see a lot of action, but it was just my luck that everyone was home that afternoon to see the 'main' event. Matt scrambled to get an upper edge on me. He squirmed his way out of my lock and I felt a hard knee to the back. I twisted around and grabbed the collar of his shirt.

It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I wasn't really thinking. I chin-butted him.

Yeah, you read that right. I should have hit him with my forehead, but at the moment, my chin seemed to be an easier weapon. I felt something in my mouth crack and then intense pain. Matt screamed like he had been mortally wounded and fell back holding his forehead. I could see a trickle of blood run through his fingers.

I think we would have kept fighting after we shook off our initial agony, but all of a sudden streams of hard, cold water began to pelt the both of us.

"BOTH OF YOU, UP!"

Liv was holding our outside garden hose and she did not look happy. It kind of reminded me of whenever I had run into Liv's ex-husband, Hunter. Which was more than once. Or twice.

"Matt, get in your car and just leave Nick, go inside and just wait."

Still holding his forehead, and trying to avoid any more water shots, Matt headed off towards his car. I stayed put.

"NICK!"

Now Liv doesn't really scare me...well, most of the time. But the tone in her voice raised a red flag. I headed into the house.

After I had a chance to calm down, I realized that my mouth hurt way more than I had initially thought. I opened my mouth and touched the sore area.

One of my bottom teeth was broken.

It wasn't a front tooth, but any tooth is an important tooth in my book. Just the touch of my fingertip made me scream and fall to the ground.

Wimpy, I know.

Liv and Angel came in a few minutes later carrying Brooke and Noah. Noah was babbling like a little unleashed warrior. Obviously he had gotten a good seat for the fight. Brooke was crying.

"DADDY! DADDY!"

"Daddy's okay," Liv said calmly. I heard two sets of footsteps on the stairs, no doubt Angel and Liv taking both of them up to their nurseries.

About ten agonizing minutes later, I was still on the ground feeling helpless. Liv's shoes and legs came into view. I looked up.

"What did you do?"

"I broke my foof," I mumbled. I felt a little drool sliding out of my mouth. I wiped it with the back of my hand.

Liv didn't ask me anything else or scold me (thank God). She walked around me and opened up a phone book.

I liked a woman of action, especially when I, myself was helpless.

------------------------------

"I really like this place. We should stay here sometime."

"Nick, that was a dentist's office. They had to give you novacaine and nitrous oxide."

I laughed. Liv was funny sometimes.

"NoNo-caine. It's like Noah made it."

Liv was fuzzy, but she was looking cute. I love cute girls. I hung onto the open car door and grinned at her.

"Nick?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you get in the car?"

I snorted. That was a funny question to ask.

"OF COURSE!"

I stared at the seat in confusion. I knew there was a trick.

"Hop up and swing your legs."

I snapped my fingers...or at least tried to. "That's it!"

Somehow I landed with my face in the cushion. My legs kicked up like a donkey, but I managed to squish myself in and turn myself around. The whole thing was highly amusing. I began to laugh.

"Way too much nitrous oxide," Liv said quietly as she got in the car.

My tooth felt one million percent better. I rolled down the window as Liv took off towards home. I stuck my head out and closed my eyes.

Sometimes I wish I was a dog so I could do those types of things.

"I really like doggie style," I blurted. I don't know where that came from, but it was an awesome thought.

"Nick, you need to go home and take a nap."

I rolled my head along the back of the seat. It was easier to turn my head that way. I smiled at Liv. I think I might have been drooling a little bit, but I couldn't tell.

"You should take a nap with me."

Liv cracked a smile. "Oh, no."

I nodded. It was a weird feeling; I felt like my head was a giant balloon. For a moment I began to panic that it might be filled with helium and float away. I touched my neck.

Phew, still attached.

"That's alright," I said, after that little moment of panic. "We don't have to do the nasty. You're already pregnant." I sniffled. "I'm gonna have a bay-bay."

Liv hit the break hard at a red light. "Nick, let's not talk about this now."

I smiled. "We've been through this twice, silly, billy, jilly, willy, nil.."

"NICK!"

"You're sick all the time," I said. I leaned over and sloppily patted her stomach. "It's okay to cook them in there. Carter's love your bakery."

Liv sighed and continued to drive. I scooted over as much as my seatbelt would allow and dropped my head on her shoulder. I put my nose against her neck. I sniffed.

"Nick, what the hell are you doing?"

"You always smell really good when you're pregnant."

Liv groaned. "Nick..."

I started to laugh. I don't know why but it just seemed like such a happy day! The last non-funny thing I remember is the nurse putting these tubes up my nose. She said it would help me relax.

I don't think she knew what she was talking about.

"What's so funny?" Liv asked. She almost looked annoyed. I don't know why; I'm naturally cute. No one hates cute things. Like kids. And bunnies. And Nick Carter.

"I was just thinking that you're like the Bat Cave. All my supersperm just know to fly right to Headquarters," I explained. I burst into another round of giggles.

I held my side. Oh, it hurt. Not in a bad way.

More just in a really, really funny way.

"I can't talk to you like this," I heard Liv say over my giggles.

I hung my head out the window again.

It was easier to just be a dog.