- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter One-Hundred-Forty-Seven




Meanwhile in Kentucky, when Brian finished giving Josh a bath he wrapped him up in a towel and helped him out of the tub and he followed the six-year-old out of the bathroom and into their bedroom. Josh went over and began to get dressed into the clothes that Brian had laid out for him – a blue superman t-shirt and some jeans. When he did he looked over at Brian whom he now realized had a brush in his hand. Brian sat on the bed and turned Josh so his back was turned to him and he began brushing his hair.



"Are we still going to the mall today?" he asked hopefully.



"Mhm we're. Riley is going to come with us is that okay?" Josh frowned a little at this announcement as he was under the impression that it was just going to be the two of them.



"But I thought it was just going to be the two of us…"



"Not this time buddy…I was hoping it could be the three of us today."



"Why?"



"Because I want you to get to know Riley…"



"Why? I already know Riley."



"I know that but I want you to get used to her being around because like you she is a very important part of my life. I love her and I want you to feel comfortable with her being around all the time – especially since she's going to be living with us. Okay?" Josh sighed.



"Okay…"



"Hey…" Brian replied gently and he wrapped his arms around Josh before pulling him up onto the bed beside him. "What's your issue with Riley? She's not all that bad…she cares about you."



"I already told you," Josh shrugged, and he hugged his legs to his chest and pet Chance who had come up and jumped on the bed beside him – Brian ignored the fact that his paws are wet. Someone must have hosed him off before they let him inside.



"Yeah well I'm sensing that isn't the entire reason. So why don't you tell me what's on your mind?" Brian encouraged gently.



"My entire memory of Riley at the Orphanage is of her yelling at me, or scolding me, or just plain ignoring me…my goal has always been to avoid her as much as I possibly could…" Brian nodded understandingly.



"Yeah, I remember that…but if you remember Nick used to do that too, but you've given him a second chance. Why can't you give Riley one too?" Josh shrugged his shoulders and looked down at Chance.



"It isn't like it was back then Josh…things have changed. She just didn't understand you and she didn't know how to get through to you. No one did…but with me here to help them we won't have that problem again okay? She cares about you and she really wants to get to know you. So can you give her a second chance? Please? For me?"



"How do you know she wants to get to know me? How do you know she doesn't only want to just because it will make you happy?"



"Because Riley isn't like that buddy, I promise…just give her a chance okay? Everybody deserves a second chance…and I think you of all people understands that very well."



"Kay…" Josh replied softly and he sat there petting Chance with a depressed look on his face. Brian reached over and ruffled his hair. He was about to open his mouth to say something when suddenly they heard a crash and Ashley scream.



"ABBIE! YOU COME BACK HERE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!" she shouted and they suddenly heard Abbie barking. Chance jumped up and dashed out of the room barking as well.



"Oh no…" Brian muttered, immediately thinking the worst and he jumped and followed Chance's lead. When he got downstairs, he ran to the kitchen and threw the door open only to find that all chaos has broken loose. Tyke and Lily were barking, and Abbie running around the kitchen with people chasing after her.



"What is going on here –"



"STOP THAT DOG!" Nick shouted just as Abbie darted right under Brian's legs and into the living room and he noticed she has a piece of bacon hanging out of her mouth. Brian stood there in shock for a few moments, and then he burst out laughing as everybody else – Nick, Howie, Ashley, Kori, and Dakota pushed past him and ran after her. They chased her through the living room once and then she made a mad dash for it up the stairs.



"ABBIE, YOU GETS BACK HERE WITHS MY BACON!" Dakota demanded, and she whirled around and headed for the stairs. Nick groaned.



"Just let her go baby…she's already slobbered all over it. I'll get you a new plate okay?" Dakota stopped abruptly at the foot of the stairs at his words and she scowled.



"Okay…" She replied and she turned and followed everybody into the kitchen, her and Ashley muttering 'stupid dog…' in unison. When they returned to the kitchen Harold was already in the middle of cleaning up the plate that had fallen to the floor and caused the loud crash that had terrified Brian. Ashley's scream didn't help him much either. Nick scooped Dakota up and placed her in the chair.



"I'm glad you find this all amusing, Rok," Ashley rolled her eyes when she noticed he was still somewhat laughing.



"Hey I am just glad to see that it was only Abbie causing the trouble and not someone breaking in and hurting you. You screaming nearly gave me a heart attack you know."



"Awww…I'm sorry…" Ashley immediately apologized and she went over and slid her arms around his waist pulling him into a hug. He grinned a little and enveloped her in his arms and he returned her hug too.



"I'm safe though, Brian. No one can get inside the gates and there are three very protective security guards right upstairs…nothing is going to happen to me." She reassured as she rested her head against his shoulder. Brian rubbed his hand over her back as he looked at everybody else.



"Yes I know that, you are very safe…" He kissed her forehead softly and stood there hugging her for a few minutes more and then he pulled away and scanned the kitchen for Josh only to find he isn't anywhere to be seen. He raised his eyebrow and then walked out of the kitchen and to the stairs.



"JOSH? COME DOWN BUDDY, IT'S TIME FOR BREAKFAST." He yelled for him. A few moments later instead of just Josh, three hungry security guards came down – Q with Josh sitting up on one of his shoulders with his arm placed securely over his legs and Laney has a hold of Abbie who's mouth was free of the bacon.



"Well I caught the little troublemaker, but I'm afraid Kota's bacon couldn't be saved," Laney announced. Brian laughed a little.




"It's alright, Nick is getting her some more." When Laney, Marcus, and Q had made it downstairs, Q lifted Josh from his shoulder and handed him over to Brian before following him into the kitchen. As soon as they entered the room Ashley's eyes immediately fell on Abbie and they narrowed. She got up from her chair and went over to Laney.



"I caught her for you. She ran into our room and darted under Marcus' bed."



"Thank-you Laney," Ashley replied and she gently took Abbie from him before holding her so they are face to face and she is looking into Abbie's eyes. Abbie looked away knowing she is in big trouble.



"Hey – you…Don't you dare look away from me when I am narrowing my eyes at you little miss!" Ashley scolded and she gently placed her hand to the dog's face making her look at her once again. "That was very naughty of you! You are a bad puppy! Bad!" She told her firmly. "You can just forget about getting any treats this morning. Bad puppies don't get any treats." She informed her.



"Ashley honey, I made your plate for you," Nick announced as he set her plate down on the table where her chair is.



"Thank-you Nicky," Ashley replied, and she set Abbie down and went and joined Nick at the table. Abbie went over and jumped up into the empty chair next to her with pleading eyes. Ashley shook her head smiling though she pretended not to notice that she is there. After a few moments though she eventually had to lift Abbie up and place her on the floor because Marcus wanted to sit down. Abbie jumped up into Ashley's lap and lay across her legs. Howie laughed.



"She knows you are mad at her, she isn't going to leave you alone until you pay attention to her."



"Well, she isn't getting it. She can sit there all she wants." Ashley sat there quietly eating her breakfast as she listened to everybody talk and then ten minutes into breakfast they all suddenly heard Abbie's soft cry. Ashley took pity on her as she's had to listen to her cry for the past ten minutes but it was beginning to get louder and more depressing. She looked down at her finally and placed her hand to her face gently making it so she is looking up at her and she gazed into her eyes lovingly.



"Whaaat?" she asked playfully. Abbie suddenly excited that she is being paid attention to suddenly stood up on her hind legs, her front paws rested on Ashley's chest and she licked her cheek affectionately. Ashley giggled a little and scratched her sides affectionately.



"You stubborn dog…"



"I knew you wouldn't last…" Howie laughed and shook his head. "You and Nick are both the same with your kids."



"Brian would probably be the same way if it were Tyke," Riley pointed out as she watched her boyfriend pretend to accidentally drop a piece of egg into his lap.




~*~*~*~*~



Meanwhile in New York, by the time Jaime finally left Brooke's room and went downstairs to the kitchen he discovered that AJ just finished making french toast, bacon, and scrambled eggs and Peyton is helping him get three plates on a tray.



"Brookie will want coffee," she informed him and she went over to the refrigerator and got out a mocha frappuchino and she got out the whipped cream. She set it all out on the counter before going over and getting a glass from the cupboard and he watched her as she put crushed ice in it and prepared a Mocha Frappuchino Starbucks style. She noticed AJ watching her amusedly and smiled a little.




"Brooke has been doing this with her coffee since she was seventeen years old. Our Grandma taught it to her one day and it's become tradition."




"Sweet," AJ replied and he went back to fixing Laila's plate. When he and Peyton had the tray ready AJ lifted the tray and Peyton lifted Laila and they headed for the door.




"You are more then welcome to have some if you want Jaim. I didn't poison it I promise," AJ reassured him teasingly and he walked out of the kitchen. Jaime rolled his eyes.




"No thanks, I'm not hungry." He replied stubbornly.




"Alright, if you insist." AJ replied just as the door closed. Jaime turned and surveyed the breakfast that AJ had made. It sure does smell good…meanwhile upstairs, when AJ and Peyton arrived at Brooke's room AJ set the tray down on the floor and then sat down next to Brooke. He tucked a strand of her hair back behind her ear and he smiled down at her lovingly.




"She's so peaceful…I hate to wake her up…"




"I can always do it," Peyton offered and she smirked evilly. AJ looked at her and he suddenly noticed a huge similarity to Nick in her eyes.




"No, way." Peyton pouted.




"Aww…spoil sport." AJ shook his head smiling.



"We can always put Laila on her and blame it on the kid if she gets angry." Peyton pointed out, suddenly becoming excited again.




"Your funeral…" AJ shrugged. Peyton grinned and she set Laila on the bed.



"Go see Brookie baby…go wake Brookie up." She told her gently and she grabbed AJ's arm and pulled him out of the room and they hid behind the wall.



"Brookie!" Laila spoke cheerfully and she pounced on her, causing Brooke to make an 'oomph' sound. "Brookie ake’ up" Brooke smiled into her pillow as she felt Laila's face right next to her ear. "Brookie up!" Brooke waited for her to say it again, just because she thinks she is too adorable and then she rolled over onto her back and playfully pulled the toddler into her arms.



"Alright, I'm awake, I'm awake!" She told her and she playfully tickled her sides making Laila giggle and squirm about in her arms.



"Ickles Brookie, Ickles!" she giggled.



"It does, does it?" Brooke smirked and Laila giggled even harder. When she finally stopped Laila lay sprawled out across Brooke's legs still giggling somewhat. Brooke smiled down at her and she bent down and kissed her cheek and just as she did AJ and Peyton went rushing into the room.



"There you are!" Peyton exclaimed in an out of breath tone, pretending the two of them had been looking for Laila everywhere. "We've been looking all over for you!"



"Brookie ake's up," Laila announced and she threw her arms around Brooke and hugged her. Brooke smiled a little and hugged her back.



"Yeah, I see you woke Brookie up," AJ grinned. "She's been waiting for you to wake up all morning. I guess she must've escaped the kitchen when we weren't looking – when we saw she was gone we looked all over the place for her."




"That's interesting…I didn't even hear you calling for her," Brooke replied while smiling at him, seeing right past his lie.




"You must've been asleep when I was."



"Yeah, that must be it." Brooke laughed.



"But anyway…now that you are awake, how about some breakfast in bed?" He offered, and he picked up the tray from the floor and smiled at her ever so sweetly. Brooke laughed a little bit and cocked her head to the side as she looked at him curiously.



"What'cha make me?"




"Your favorite," AJ answered and he brought the tray over and sat it down in front of her and Laila before sitting on the other side.




"French toast, Bacon, and Scrambled Eggs…and Peyton made you coffee."




"Aww…AJ…you made all of this?" she asked softly as she took a look at the meal in front of her and saw how good it looks. He had to have worked really hard on it. She never knew he could cook…



"Mhm…all except for the coffee."



"How come? You didn't have to do this…"



"No, but I wanted to. I wanted to get the pleasure out of seeing you smile because of it." Brooke smiled at him and she rubbed at her cheek as she felt a tear roll down it. When she wiped it away she wrapped an arm around him and gently placed her hand to the back of his head and he bent forward and brushed his lips lightly over hers. Peyton isn't surprised in the least bit at the scene before her – AJ had filled her in on Brooke finally giving him a chance. She promised not to tell Jaime. "And I've always fantasized about cooking for you when you finally let me be your boyfriend."




"I could really get used to you being my boyfriend," she informed him, and she wrapped her other arm around his neck too and he rested his forehead against hers and smiled at her. Peyton shook her head smiling and she left the room deciding she would go downstairs to see if her brother caved and tasted the delicious breakfast that AJ made. It smells so good she just knows he won't be able to resist – no matter how stubborn he is.




"Well you better because you are stuck with me."




"Is that a promise?"




"You bet it is," AJ told her, looking into her eyes seriously and he once again brushed his lips lightly over hers. When he pulled away he pulled back and smiled at Laila, before gently scooping her out of Brooke's arms and pulling her into his own lap before he moved over and sat next to Brooke. Brooke rested her head against his shoulder and the two of them began to have breakfast in bed together – AJ pulled Laila's plate in front of her too so she could eat also.




~*~*~*~*~



Meanwhile, downstairs, when Peyton walked into the kitchen she caught Jaime standing at the counter where AJ left the food at and he was in the middle of putting a piece of bacon in his mouth. Peyton smiled.




"Tastes good huh?"




"No, it's awful." Jaime insisted stubbornly and he dropped the bacon back onto the plate where all the rest of the bacon is at and he went over and sat in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest. Peyton shook her head smiling and she went over and began to make both of their plates. When she finished she brought them to the table, set his in front of him and sat down in her own chair and the two of them dug right in.



"Did Brookie enjoy AJ's surprise?" Jaime asked softly causing Peyton to smile again.



"She loved it. She even had tears of happiness rolling down her face…you should've seen it." Jaime smiled too as he kept his gaze down at his plate and enjoyed his breakfast. He doesn't have to see it because he already has…everytime he sees her look at AJ she is smiling. She loves him he can tell – he just hopes he really loves her back because he'll have to kill him if he screws this up.