- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter
It was co-written with Lenni
Enjoy =)
Chapter Fourteen:


As soon as Ashley had gathered up a bunch of clothes that she liked she took them into the dressing room and began to try them on and she would come out every now and then with a new outfit on to show Nick and Dakota as they stood out in the store and looked at things. There is no one in any of the other dressing rooms and there is no way anyone could possibly get back there without Nick and the security guards seeing them so Nick decided he wouldn’t bother standing there and guarding the door.


“Daddy look at these,” Dakota spoke up and Nick turned away from the t-shirts he was looking at and at her to find her standing there holding pink star shaped earrings.


“Wow, those are pretty neat baby.” He replied, and she beamed and went back to looking at all of the jewelry. He went over and knelt down next to her and the two of them looked at the jewelry together. He suddenly came across a black mesh choker with a red heart on it and he pulled it off of the display of jewelry.


“Look Kota, this would match your new skirt and Green Day t-shirt.” He told her. “And it would look very cute on you. Wanna try it on?”


“Yeah” she replied, smiling up at him and he helped her put it on.


“Come here, there’s a mirror right over here.” He told her, and he got up and took her hand and he brought her over to the mirror on one of the display cases and she looked into it and grinned.


“I likes it daddy it’s very cool,” she told him. “Can I gets it?”


“Mm hmm. You can have whatever piece of jewelry you want.” He told her. He helped her get it off again and handed it to her and she happily went back to the display case that she was looking at. He grinned and followed her back over there and he knelt down behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist as he rested his chin on her shoulder and he continued to look at the jewelry with her and help her pick it out. He loves that he got to have the afternoon off to go to the mall and spend time with his little girl for the first time as her daddy. The excitement still hasn’t worn off and its been almost an entire day. Every time he hears her call him daddy it makes him feel good inside. He doesn’t know what he would’ve done if he had actually let her go. Probably be jumping off a cliff somewhere or something. After a few minutes Kevin walked into the store with Elenore in his arms, her head rested upon his shoulder and she’s holding her drink and what looks like a wrapper with a cookie in it. He walked over to Nick and he and Dakota looked up at him.


“Hey you two… you were gone for a pretty long time just for getting drinks.”


“We decided to make a stop at paradise bakery too and get us some cookies. Then she spotted the carousel and wanted to ride on it so we did and we had so much fun. Didn’t we Elenore?” Kevin asked, looking down at the little girl in his arms and she smiled happily.


“Uh-huhs! We rode on dee pretty horse.”


“Aww that sounds like a whole lot of fun. Kota and I have been on that carousel so many times. Kota’s favorite to ride on is the unicorn because they’re her favorite.”


“Unicorns are pretty too,” Elenore agreed and Dakota smiled happily. Her new friend likes unicorns too! Things just couldn’t get any better. A daddy and a friend all in one day.


“Where is Ashley?” Kevin asked curiously, as he looked at Nick confused. He didn’t think he’d ever see him without Ashley by his side the entire time they were at the mall.


“She’s in the dressing room trying on clothes. She’s been coming out here and modeling for us so that we could give her our opinion.” Nick answered.


“Ooh, I see.” Kevin replied and he handed Nick and Dakota their drinks and then got out a chocolate chip cookie for Dakota and he handed that to her as well.


“Thank-you uncle Kevy.”


“Your welcome sweetie,” he replied and he handed the bag of cookies to Nick so he could pick one out for himself. The four of them looked around in Hot Topic for awhile as they waited on Ashley and she would come out and show them an outfit. When she finished and had picked out the clothes that she was keeping Nick took her to go pay for them. When he finished and the clothes were put in a bag he handed the bag to her and kissed her forehead.


“There. Now aren’t you glad you let me buy you clothes?”


“Yes Nicky, thank-you.” She replied softly and he smiled at her and slid his arms around her waist as he pulled her into a hug. She rested her head against his shoulder and he looked at Kevin who stood there still holding Ashley’s drink.


“Kev brought you a drink and a cookie, do you want them?” Ashley looked at Kevin not removing her arms from around Nick and she saw him standing there with two cups in his hand and a bag of cookies. Ashley nodded and Kevin smiled at her sweetly and handed her drink over. Then he opened the bag and pulled out another chocolate chip cookie and he gave that to her as well.


“So now what?” Nick asked, pretending not to have any clue what-so-ever where they’re going next.


“Toys daddy!” Dakota immediately answered and Nick smirked.


“Oh yeah, that’s right.” He then lifted her up and placed her on his left hip and he kept his arm around Ashley as he followed Kevin and Elenore out of Hot Topic.


“We’re going to KB’s, right?” Nick asked.


“Mm hmm. Unless you know of any other toy store in this mall.”


“Nope, that’s it.” Nick replied and he followed the older man through the mall. When they found it Kevin lead them all in there and Dakota’s energy level suddenly rose again as she became very excited.


"TOYS!" Dakota squealed excitedly, squirming down from Nick's arms and running inside, then turning to wait for Nick, Kevin, Ashley, & Elenore. Elenore’s eyes went wide, as she'd never actually been inside a toy store. Nick laughed, as he followed Dakota inside, while holding onto Ashley's hand. He knows how his baby girl can get when she's in a toy store.


"Ready to toy shop?" Nick asked, smiling.


"YEAH!" Dakota exclaimed, running back to grab his hand and attempt to hurry him along by yanking on it. "C'mon Daddy! Let's go!"


"Seems someone is overly excited," Kevin chuckled, as he followed them in, carrying Elenore - who didn't like to have to let go of him at all - not that he minded carrying her most everywhere. He was amazed at how easily she'd latched onto him, considering they'd just met earlier that morning. Dakota led the way to the dolls - the Barbies, Bratz, Polly Pockets, and all the other wonderful girly toys that were there.


"Looks Elenore! We can gets some dolls to plays with!" Elenore looked surprised - she hadn't expected to be able to get any - just being in a toy store was enough excitement for her. She glanced up at Kevin, to make sure Dakota was telling the truth. Kevin nodded, smiling wide.

"Anything you'd like, Sweetie. Just point it out, and you can have it." Elenore's eyes went even wider at that. What luck! The Backstreet Boys, new clothes and dress-up stuff, cookies, and toys all in the same day! She glanced back down at Dakota then, to see what her friend was checking out - her friend. She really liked the sound of that! Dakota eagerly grabbed up what she thought Elenore might like and would show the toy to her, and if it was liked, she tossed it into the cart that security had grabbed for them. Security knew how the little girl liked to toy shop. Once done in the doll department, they moved onto the stuffed animals.


"Looks! Teddy Bears!!!!!" Dakota shrieked delightedly, running over and tackling the biggest one there. "Uncle Kevy! Elenore's just gots to have this one!" Kevin smiled and nodded his agreement.


“Would you like that Teddy Bear, Elenore? You can have him if you'd like. And a smaller one as well." Elenore's eyes were quite round, as she nodded eagerly, unable to believe the Bear that was almost as big as Ashley was going to be hers! Kevin smiled and nodded to the one security guard, who got the Teddy Bear a cart all of its own. "Would you like to ride in there with him? Or do you want me to still carry you?" Elenore thought a moment, then reached for the Teddy Bear, deciding to be brave enough and leave Kevin's side for a little bit. But, if she got scared or worried again, she was going to demand he pick her back up - immediately. She was not going to let him leave her behind like her mother had! No way hoseé! Kevin still smiled, as he stuck her in the cart in front of the Teddy Bear. "There you go. Now you two can ride together, while I push the cart." Elenore flashed him a shy grin, as she snuggled into the huge Teddy Bear. She watched silently though, to make sure that Kevin indeed was going to push the cart and not abandon her.


"Daddy! Daddy! Can I haves this Care Bear!?" Dakota asked suddenly, her voice ringing out loudly. "Please Daddy?"


"Sure, you can have Good Luck Bear, Baby," Nick agreed, ready and willing to let his little girl have anything her heart desired today.


"Would you like a Care Bear too?" Kevin asked Elenore, who nodded shyly. "Which would you like?" Elenore eyed them all for a moment, before finally pointing to Bedtime Bear, Grumpy Bear, and Tenderheart Bear. Kevin grinned. She was getting the hang of it. "Why, of course! Can't just have one and not his friends. He'd get lonely otherwise." Elenore nodded her agreement, then held Tenderheart over the side of the cart, insisting quietly that Dakota have him.


"This fer me?" Dakota questioned, taking the Care Bear with great care. Elenore nodded, smiling. She wanted her new friend to have Tenderheart - her most favorite Care Bear of all - along with Grumpy and Bedtime Bear of course.


"Thank-you Elenore!" Dakota exclaimed, hugging Tenderheart tight. "Here Daddy!" Nick laughed, as he was handed the special Care Bear and set him in the other cart gently.


"There we go. He looks mighty happy to see Good Luck Bear again." The girls both giggled, making Nick, Kevin, and Ashley all smile as well - especially since Elenore didn't seem to smile, more or less giggle much.


"She seems rather happy," Ashley whispered to Nick.


"I think Kevin is gonna spoil her more than I spoil Dakota," Nick whispered back, smiling though. Ashley giggled.


"Is that even possible, Nicky?" Nick shrugged innocently, giving her hand a squeeze.


"Let's just see who leaves with the most toys today." Kevin eyed them both warily.


"And just what are you two laughing at over there?" He demanded, as they moved on into the action figure aisle.


"Wouldn't you like to know," Nick replied, smirking. Kevin shook his head.


"I'm thinking I don't." An excited squeal was heard then and all eyes snapped to the front of Kevin's cart, where Dakota was standing next to it and Elenore still riding in it. They were surprised to see Elenore's whole face lit up, as she leaned out of the cart some, reaching for a Ninja Turtles plushie.


"You like Ninja Turtles?" Kevin queried, as he helped her retrieve the Donatello plushie she was reaching for.


"Uh-huhs," Elenore answered, nodding like crazy. She'd seen them once or twice, when she snuck some T.V. time in late one Friday night when her parents had gone out.


"Can I haves some? Please?" She asked hopefully. Kevin saw the hopeful look on her face and couldn't help but feel proud of the fact that he alone was going to be able to make the little one smile plenty.


"Yes, you may, Little One. You may have as many as you'd like." Elenore squealed again, eagerly pointing out which ones she wanted to Dakota, who in turn would grab them and hand them to her - unless she required help in reaching them.


"I think Kota's found a friend," Ashley told Nick. "They're so cute together."


"I think Elenore's found one too," Nick agreed. "They're going to be inseparable, once she gets used to everyone. I can tell." After another hour in KB Toys, they left with three carts full. One full of dolls, Barbies, two Brats, loads of clothes, and Care Bears. The second full of action figures, board games, coloring books, books, and crayons. And the third - the third held two giggling little girls and a humungous Teddy Bear.