- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Four



As soon as Brian, AJ, Howie, and the kids finished setting up the backyard they all went inside and Ryan threw himself into a chair moodily after finally being allowed to stop. He didn’t want to help set up the backyard, he was really into his book but Howie made him do it reminding him that part of his punishment is to help around the house.


“Uncle Brian I am thirsty,” Dakota announced.


“Okay, go ahead and get a Dr Pepper out of the refrigerator.” Dakota gave her favorite uncle a side long glance with the kind of look that she often sees Abbie give Nick when he talks to her as if she is actually going to talk back. Brian chuckled slightly.


“Daddy doesn’t like it when I drink soda because he says I’m hyper already without it.”


“Yeah but you worked hard so you deserve it.” Dakota went to the refrigerator and opened it up and she reached in and grabbed herself a can of Dr pepper. “Just be sure to give Sarah one also.” Dakota grabbed another can and she handed it to Sarah. Sarah wrote thanks down on her notepad and held it out to Josh.


“Sarah says thanks,” he announced to Dakota, though he is still a little nervous from earlier when he had kissed her. Even if it was just on the cheek it was still a big deal to him.


“Your welcome,” Dakota replied quietly. It is still very new to her being nice to Sarah and even though it feels good getting praised for it, it’s hard holding her jealousy inside but she is trying real hard. She had gone from being the only child to sharing her daddy and her family and her friends and she has never had to do that before. Heck, she has never had friends that she had to share up until Ellie came a long. Over the past few days that she had been forcing herself to be nice, she has discovered that Sarah can be pretty fun to play with when she actually gives her a chance but part of her still wants to lash out and yell ‘mine’ sometimes. But she knows she has to learn to control it. She has to because it’s starting to become perfectly clear that she is not going anywhere no matter how hard she tries pushing her away. Especially when her daddy called Brian her uncle. What was that all about? What does that mean? All she knows is, the moment Brian became ‘Uncle Brian’ to her it meant she was officially part of the family. Is her daddy planning on adopting her too? Dakota looked over at Sarah with contemplating eyes. It’s hard enough for her to accept her as a friend and that her daddy is her caregiver, but to accept that she could be her sister some day…that’s going to be even harder. She has always been perfectly content being an only child.


“When are we gonna go an’ see Ellie?” she asked, turning and looking at Brian. Brian heard the loneliness in her voice and looked over at her and saw the troubled look on her face.


“In a few minutes honey, we just have to wait for AJ to finish getting Laila ready. What’s wrong?” Dakota shook her head.


“Nothing I just miss Ellie,” Dakota insisted, and she leaned over and picked up Lily before going over and sitting on the floor leaning up against the counter. Brian raised his eyebrow and exchanged concerned looks with Howie and then he went over to Dakota and gently gathered her into her arms.


“Come here munchkin, come have a talk with Uncle Brian.” He told her and Dakota slid an arm around him and rested her head against his shoulder as she held Lily in her other arm and he looked at Sarah and gave her a small smile as he noticed her eyeing him.


“I will be right back Sarah. Can you hang with Howie for a bit?” Howie grinned a little.


“Come here Sarah, how about you come help me put these cookies that Jackie made for Ann into a bag and maybe you can have one afterward.” Sarah went over to help him eager for one of Jackie’s amazing cookies and Brian carried Dakota out of the kitchen and into the living room. He shut the kitchen door behind him and brought her over to the couch.


“Okay Kota…what’s going on? You know you can’t lie to Uncle Brian.”


“Is daddy going to adopt Sarah?” Dakota asked softly.


“Not anytime soon honey…if he were I’m sure I would know about it. Why do you ask?” Brian asked curiously as he sat down on the couch with her and he began to lightly scratch Lily behind the ear.


“Cause he called you her uncle…an’ when he called you my uncle it meant I was part of the family…”


“And what’s wrong with Sarah being part of the family? Hmm? You’ve been having fun lately with her don’t even try and deny it because I’ve been watching you.”


“It’s a lot to gets used to…” Brian nodded, completely understanding where she is coming from.


“Yeah…I can see what you mean. You’re still trying to accomplish accepting her as a friend and the thought of accepting her as a sister is pretty overwhelming huh?”


“Yeah…”


“Well honey I can honestly say that I think you have time. I don’t think he is planning on adopting her anytime soon…so why don’t you work on being her friend for now okay? And once you accomplish that her being your sister wont be so hard after all.” Dakota didn’t answer him; she only snuggled into him some and rested her head against his chest. He rubbed his hand over her back and kissed her forehead softly. “You’ve been doing a really good job you know…” he praised and she looked up at him as she kept her head rested against him. “We all have been really proud of you. Especially your daddy…it makes him really happy to see the two of you laughing together.”


“But you’ve always been my Uncle Brian…”


“And it wouldn’t make me any less your uncle if I were Sarah’s too,” Brian reassured.


“You promise?” Dakota asked softly.


“I promise you…from the bottom of my heart. That I will love you till death do us part…” Brian sang softly in her ear causing her to smile up at him and he playfully poked her in the nose.


“You’re silly Uncle Brian…” she insisted, trying her hardest not to giggle.


“Not as silly as you,” Brian replied, sensing her refusal to giggle and he tickled her in the sides making her squeal and squirm about and against her will she began to giggle. “Thinking Uncle Brian could ever stop loving you…what kind of silly talk is that?” When he finally stopped tickling her he bent down and rested his forehead against hers as he gazed into her eyes and she wrapped her arms around him as she stared back.


“I love Sarah, Ellie, Josh, Spencer, Laila, and Ryan…very much. They all mean the world to me, but I’ve loved you much longer Dakota Ann…you and I go way back…we’ve been through so much together and have a special relationship and no matter what no one can take that away from you. So stop your worrying okay?”


“Kay,” Dakota replied softly, and she smiled up at him making him grin back and kiss her nose.


“Silly goose,” he called her and she giggled even more. “Come on…lets go hurry your slow uncle AJ a long…we don’t have all night for him to be taking his sweet little time.”


“Well then maybe you can change the diaper next time, Rok.” AJ spoke from behind them and Brian flinched and whipped his head around to see AJ coming downstairs with Laila rested on his right hip and a diaper bag hanging on his left shoulder. Brian scrunched up his nose.


“Nah that’s your job. I finished diaper duty the day Dakota got potty trained.”


“Well then maybe you should be a little more patient.”


“It takes five seconds to change a diaper J.”


Not with this kid.”


“What’s the matter? You find out she’s not as angelic as you think?”


“She squirms and grabs stuff and makes it almost impossible to get the diaper changing done. Plus I haven’t changed diapers since Dakota; I’m a little rusty at it. I kept tearing the tape and having to get a new diaper.”


“You’ve had her for awhile now…and you aren’t used to it yet?”


“Mom has always done it for me? Or Brookie?” Brian shook his head and he got up and carried Dakota into the kitchen and AJ followed him.



~*~*~*~*~


When Nick and Ashley were settled in the back of the limo headed for Nick’s surprise, Nick pulled Brian’s bandana out from his pocket and Ashley eyed it warily.


“What is that for?” Nick noticed the slightly intimidated look in her eyes and completely understanding why she would be scared considering her past he rubbed his hand over her back gently.


“I’m going to blindfold you for a little bit okay? I don’t want you to see where we’re going just yet. It would make the surprise all the more exciting.”


“It’s exciting now…” Ashley insisted.


“I need you to trust me okay? You trust me right?” Nick asked gently. Ashley nodded quietly. She trusts him all right. There is no doubt in her mind that she does. She trusts him with her life but when she looks at that bandana she can’t help but remember the time when Sean had blind folded her and had done awful things to her. “I would never ever hurt you.”


“Kay…” Nick looked into her eyes for a couple of minutes, and then he proceeded to place the red bandana over her eyes and tie it gently around her. When he finished he wrapped an arm around her and he rubbed his hand over her arm gently.


“I love you baby,” he reassured.


“I love you too Nicky.” The ride to the restaurant lasted ten minutes. When they got there the limo driver parked in front of the building and he got out of the car and opened the door for Nick and Ashley.


“We’re here baby. It’s time for you to crawl out of the limo – I’m going to help you.”


“Where is here?” Ashley questioned, knowing full well that she isn’t going to get a real answer out of him, but she couldn’t help but try. Nick smirked.


“For me to know and you to find out,” He whispered so softly in Ashley’s ear that it sent chills down her spine and she shivered before allowing him to guide her out of the limo. When the two of them were standing outside it Nick led her to the entrance to Olive Garden. When they stepped inside Ashley could hear soft music playing around her and she could smell Italian food.


“Can I take the blindfold off now Nicky?”


“Mhm,” Nick answered and he stepped behind her and gently wrapped his arms around her waist before pulling her near. She reached up and pulled the blindfold off and she gasped as she took in her surroundings. The lights in the restaurant have been dimmed and all of the tables except for one have been removed from the place. The one table left is placed near a window where they could look outside and see the sunset already beginning to form. It is set for two and there is a candle in the middle of it.


“Oh Nicky it’s beautiful…” she gushed. Nick smiled down at her and he placed his finger to her chin, tilted her head back and he bent down and kissed her lips softly.


“Don’t worry honey, I’m just getting started.” Just then a waiter came up to them as Ashley noticed they were standing near a sign that read ‘wait here to be seated’.


“Hello, how are you two today?”


“Good,” Nick answered while beaming.


“That’s good. Right this way, I will help you get seated” The waiter replied and he lead the way to the one and only table in the restaurant. When they approached it he pulled a chair out and motioned for Ashley to sit in it. She did as told and Nick sat in the chair across from her.


“My name is Derek…and I am your waiter for the evening. Can I start you two off with some drinks?” He asked and he looked at Ashley first.


“I will have a Dr Pepper please.”


“And I’ll have a coke,” Nick added. The waiter nodded.


“Okay I will have those here for you in a couple of minutes,” he informed them and he walked off. Ashley looked at Nick with eyes full of questions.


“Nicky, what’s the occasion? Why have you gone through so much trouble to do all of this?”


“Do I need an occasion to spoil my girlfriend?” Nick questioned, and he reached across the table, took her hands into his and gently rubbed the backs of them as he looked at her with a raised eyebrow.


“You’ve never gone through such great lengths before…”


“Maybe I just wanted to see that beautiful smile on your face. No boxes of chocolate or a bouquet of roses could do the trick.” Ashley was about to open her mouth and reply when suddenly the waiter walked out with their drinks causing her to go quiet. He placed the glasses of soda onto the table in front of each of them, announcing what they’re.


“Normally I would ask you for your order, but it has already been taken care of by the people who came here earlier and arranged everything. Your dinner is cooking and will be ready soon. Just sit tight and enjoy yourselves in the mean time,” He explained and Nick raised his eyebrow. He had not expected Brian and AJ to order for them but he grinned nonetheless.


“Okay thanks,” he replied and the waiter turned and headed back into the kitchen again. Nick looked at Ashley then.


“Good thing this isn’t some fancy restaurant where the serve fancy food or I think I would be scared to eat whatever AJ ordered us,” he told her quietly. Ashley giggled.


“True that. My brother would probably do something crazy like order us snails.” Nick smiled some as he rubbed the backs of her hands.


“I love how natural you sound when you call him your brother. It’s almost like you’ve been brother and sister your whole life.”


“It’s not that hard…he was already like a brother to me the moment the five of you walked into my life…Momma Denise just made it official.”


“It couldn’t have been the moment we walked into your life. You didn’t exactly like us at first. I seem to remember quite clearly the day you shouted at me and accused me of attacking you.” Ashley smirked.


“I do too…I still remember the look on your face. You were so horrified.” Nick chuckled.


“But my favorite memory of you and me will always be right after the concert when you helped me paint and then we got into a paint fight.”


“I don’t have a favorite memory. I love all of my moments with you.”


“Oh come on, you have to have at least one that you think about more then once.” Nick thought about it for a couple of moments and then he squeezed her hands gently.


“The day you let me into your heart. It was right after a really horrible incident, but still…that moment when you finally let me in made me feel so happy.” Ashley smiled some.


“I love making you happy.”


~*~*~*~*~*~


“ELLIE!!!!”


“KOTA!!!” Elenore exclaimed and she ran toward her best friend and flung her arms around her hugging her tight as they stood in the middle of the bowling alley.


“I MISSED YOOOOU!” Dakota exclaimed and she could feel a lump in her throat as she tried not to get overly emotional. It had only been a whole day since they were apart, but a lot has happened in that one day and her best friend wasn’t there to see any of it. First she went swimming in the lake with Josh. Then she went to the mall and experienced butterflies in her stomach for the first time…and then picked out a promise ring for her Ashee before yelling at a jealous fan. Then later Abbie got shot and Josh kissed her on the cheek. Talk about a crazy day. She could definitely use her best friend right about now.


“I missed you too! But look! I won you something!” Elenore replied, and she held up a plush soft teddy bear with a red bow around its neck. Dakota’s face broke out into a smile.


“He’s the bestest!” She exclaimed, and she took the bear from Elenore and pulled it into a hug. “I love it.” Elenore beamed.


“What all did you do today? I’ll tell you about my day if you tell me about yours!” Elenore insisted and she wrapped her arm around Dakota and began to lead her toward the arcade room.


“Ellie!” Kevin called after her, causing the two girls to stop and look at him.


“Don’t go near that stuffed animal machine that is off limits to you.” Elenore scowled and she turned and continued to walk off with Dakota who was giving her a curious look. Q trailed behind them and AJ gave Kevin a curious look.


“She was playing with the machine quite nicely at first…Jer, Tim, and I were setting up our game and keeping half an eye on her at the same time. But then after awhile…she became frustrated with the machine that kept dropping that stuffed Raphael that she is holding. No matter how hard she tried to get it. So she started kicking and punching the machine and demanding it to let her have it and Jerald, Tim, and I came running, the three of us pulling her away from it and she was actually yelling swear words at it. I made her sit in a chair for five minutes before she could bowl. She was none too pleased. I’m surprised she didn’t get us thrown out of the place.”


“Quite the opposite actually,” Jerald jumped into the story telling. “One of the employees actually opened up the machine and got the Raphael out for her. Kevin insisted she doesn’t deserve it, but he insisted that she have it because he had been watching her for some time and said she just looked to determined not to have it. He could tell that she wanted it really bad.”


“Wow…”


“Yeah. I wasn’t very happy with her and just about took it away from her telling her that she could have it back when I see fit but I decided against it.”


“Her need for hitting things is getting out of hand,” Howie announced.


“Yeah well all of our problems will hopefully be solved later on tonight. I bought both Josh and Ellie a punching bag at the mall today,” Brian reassured.