- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty Three



The next day Nick awoke bright and early and rolled over to find that all three of his girls were gone and he raised his eyebrow. It’s no surprise to him that Dakota and Sarah are already up and gone, but Ashley? That’s something new. He lay in bed for a few moments trying to wake up all the way, and when he finally did he crawled out of bed and pulled on a pair of pants and he went downstairs not bothering to put on a shirt. When the elevator door opened on the first floor, Nick walked out and found Riley and Brian in the lobby. Riley taking care of business at the front desk, and Brian sitting on the counter cradling Josh who was still asleep. Nick walked over to his friends then.


“What’s up Nicky?” Brian greeted cheerfully, and then paused to contemplate the confused look on his face.


“Don’t throw a fit, it’s not a big deal.”


“Oh, I just love explanations that start out like that,” Nick replied sarcastically. “What am I not going to throw a fit over?”


“Brandon took Ashley to Michael’s to buy some stuff,” Brian explained with great caution. Nick narrowed his eyes.


“The two of them? Alone? I hardly know this guy – Ashley hardly knows him.”


“No, AJ went with them – and Dakota.”


“And Sarah?”


“Stayed here to play with her friends.”


“What are they buying?” Nick asked, working real hard to stay strong. He told Ashley he would try.


“I would imagine some art stuff, seeing as how it’s an arts and crafts store.” Nick crossed his arms over his chest.


“If it’s her safety you are worried about Nick, it’s Doctor Johnson’s brother. He’s completely harmless and AJ would never let anything happen to her either.”


“It’s not her safety – maybe a tiny bit, but it’s more jealousy then anything,” Brian replied while rolling his eyes.


“It is not. It’s frustration over the fact that she didn’t even bother to leave me a note!”


“What’s the big deal? She told us to tell you where she was going when you woke up,” Brian shrugged.


“The big deal is, I leave her a note even when I’m just right downstairs. If it were the other way around she would throw a fit if she woke up and found me gone.”


“You aren’t her caregiver anymore. She doesn’t have to check in with you before she does things,” Riley reminded.


“No but I’m her boyfriend and still deserve to know where she is at – especially when there is someone out there trying to kill her.”


“Which is why she told us. Would you be reacting this way if it were me that went with her? Or Kevin? Or maybe Howie?” Brian questioned.


“Absolutely!”


“You’re being a jealous boyfriend.”


“I am not. I just don’t think it’s right that she left without leaving me a note. I don’t care if she told you or not, I want her to tell me.” Brian rolled his eyes.


“Okay Nick. Then why don’t you tell her that instead of shouting at people who are clearly just the messengers?”


“Because you are in my line of fire!” Nick snapped, and he whirled around and stormed off to the stairs, not having the patience to wait for the elevator. Brian groaned.


“At least there aren’t any doors for him to slam.”


“I really don’t see what the big deal is. She told us where she went so that we would tell him. Isn’t that the same thing as a note?” Riley asked annoyed.


“The big deal is, Brandon is the one who took her.”


“He really needs to get over this. No wonder Kota gets so jealous of Sarah.” Brian shrugged.


“In a way, I see where he is coming from. I guess I wouldn’t like it very much if you woke up bright and early and went off with another man without telling me that you were first. It’s almost the same as sneaking off, pretty much.”


“But, what if I told someone else to tell you?”


“Nick is feeling insecure about the whole thing. I think if he got a note from Ashley in her handwriting, it would’ve gotten a whole different reaction out of him. I’m sure he would still be jealous, but he wouldn’t be throwing a fit like this.” Riley shook her head irritably.


“Doesn’t mean he needs to shoot the messengers. He’s lucky Josh is asleep or I would have retaliated.” Just then, Ashley, Brandon, AJ, and Dakota came walking in with bags from Michael’s in their hands.


“Hey Ri, hey Brian…what’s up?” AJ asked.


“Not much…just got our heads bitten off by Nick just a minute ago.” Ashley raised her eyebrow.


“I wouldn’t go up there if I were you honey,” Brian warned gently.


“What’s his problem?”


“He’s upset that you didn’t leave him a note.”


“I told you two where—“


“—Doesn’t matter, he prefers the note.” Ashley rolled her eyes.


“No, I know what he prefers,” she replied irritably, and she thrusted her bags into Brandon’s hands. “I’m going to need you to keep those for me.” Brandon nodded and Ashley looked at AJ who was holding Dakota.


“Keep her down here.”


“Oh believe me, I will.” Ashley then went upstairs not having the patience for the elevator. When she got up to the second floor, she went down the hall to her room and stood in the doorway, leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed and narrowed eyes as she stared at her boyfriend who was standing at the window gazing out at it moodily. Nick saw her reflection in the window and turned to look at her.


“Yeah, I can see that you are really trying,” She told him sarcastically.


“Well it’s good to see that you got back nice and safe,” he retaliated in the same sarcastic tone. “I’m glad to see that you are able to tell Brian and Riley where you are going, but not me. Not your boyfriend.”


“I don’t get what the big deal is. I told them to tell you – is that not just as good as a piece of paper?”


“The big deal is, I take the time to write you a note to tell you where I am at when I wake up before you, even when I am just right downstairs so that you don’t worry. If it were the other way around, you would be throwing a fit if you woke up and I was nowhere to be found.”


“You’re not my caregiver anymore Nick, I can go anywhere I please without having to check in with you to see if it’s okay first!”


“No but I am your boyfriend and I deserve to know where you are at least! I deserve at least that. Especially since there is a killer out there to get you!”


“I told Brian and Riley! You are just throwing a fit because I went with Brandon!”


“You took my daughter with you – I think I deserve to know where she is too.”


“Like I said – I told Brian and Riley.”


“Was it really that hard for you to just leave a note for me yourself? How would you feel if I woke up bright and early before you and went off with another girl that you’re jealous of, Ashley?”


“I’m not jealous of anybody! Because unlike you I trust the one I love and know he loves me back – he reassured me that I don’t have anything to worry about and I believed him!"


“I trust you very much Ashley, so don’t say that I don’t!”


“You do not!”


“Yes I do!”


“NO YOU DON’T, BECAUSE IF YOU DID, YOU WOULDN’T BE THROWING A FIT LIKE THIS!”


“I TRUST YOU WITH ALL OF MY HEART, IT’S HIM THAT I DON’T TRUST!”


“Well you had better start trusting him because he is a good friend and I am not about to stop being his friend just because you don’t want me to!”


“How am I supposed to do that when you sneak off in the morning?”


“I didn’t sneak off! I told Riley and Brian for the thousandth time, Nick!”


“But you couldn’t tell me yourself?”


“You were sleeping! I thought I was being nice by not waking you up!”


“So then write me a note! Like I do to you every morning because I love you and don’t want you to worry! I want you to write me a note in your handwriting, telling me yourself where you are going! I don’t want to have to hear it from somebody else! That is all that I ask Ashley, It’s not a hard task!”


“Are you really that insecure that you can’t accept someone else telling you for me?”


“It would mean more to me if I heard it from you yourself.”


“Fine. From now on, I’ll write you a stupid note.” The two of them were silent for a few moments before Nick finally replied.


“What did you buy?” he asked softly. Ashley stared at him for a few moments.


“Just some stuff…”


“What kind of stuff?”


“Some art stuff…” Nick raised his eyebrow.


“Like?”


“I was out of paint. I asked him to take me to buy some more.”


“Why couldn’t you ask me?”


“You were asleep.”


“So you couldn’t wait until later when I woke up? It had to be done bright and early while I was sleeping?” Ashley shrugged.


“I just felt like going with my new friend.”


“I see.” Nick replied, and he shrugged. “Who has Kota?”


“AJ. I told him to keep her down there – I didn’t know how you would react. Brian said you were mad.”


“Kay,” Nick replied. “Well I’m going to go take a shower. I’ll see you in a bit. I’m sure your new friend will keep you company for awhile,” he told her, and he turned and walked into the bathroom, shutting the door halfway. Ashley heard him turn the water on and after a few moments the shower was running. She sighed and then shut the door and locked it, before going into the bathroom. When she got in there she got in the shower behind Nick not even bothering to get undressed and she slid her arms around him and kissed his shoulder before resting her head against his back.


“You know I love you and that you are my best friend Nick…” she told him softly. “Please stop acting this way. You’re breaking my heart.”


“I’m sorry. I’m just not used to sharing you. I guess I know how Kota felt when Sarah came into our life now…” he replied softly. Ashley moved in front of him and she noticed the tear rolling down his cheek and reached up and wiped it away.


“Kota got through it. If she can I know you can also. I’m not going anywhere.” Nick fell silent, as he stood there just gazing down at her. She slid her arms up and around his neck and he leaned forward and rested his forehead against hers.


“You’re my best friend in the entire world. When I said new friend…I didn’t mean that I was replacing you. I’m sorry if it came out that way.”


“I was just being overly sensitive,” Nick insisted, not being able to stay mad anymore.


“I like a sensitive man – it’s very sexy.” Nick chuckled softly and pulled her closer.


“I guess running away from you to the shower wasn’t such a great idea. I forgot you would just follow me in here. Fully clothed though…now that’s new.” Ashley giggled.


“Mhm. Not very bright when you are upset Nicky, are you?”


“Now fully clothed…that is something I never expected.”


“Why don’t you take care of that Nicky?” she asked softly, and Nick smirked and did as she requested.



~*~*~*~*~



When they finished their shower and had gotten out and were both finished getting dressed, Ashley went over and lay across the bed sideways, before motioning him to come lay with her. He went over and lay next to her on his side and he lightly caressed her cheek with his finger as he gazed into her brown eyes.


“Feel better now?” she asked softy, and he nodded and pulled her closer to him.


“I can deal with you going places with Brandon baby…I can’t promise you that I wont be jealous, but I will deal with it. It would just make me feel loved if you wrote me a note to tell me where you are going…if you should leave while I’m sleeping. Can you do that for me? Please?”


“If you promise me we won’t fight like that ever again…” Ashley replied, pouting somewhat.


“I’m not going to make any promises I can’t keep. Couples fight sometimes honey…it’s inevitable.” Ashley leaned over and rested her head against his chest. “But I wouldn’t have reacted this bad if I had a note. Plus, the mornings are usually our time…I’m not used to waking up to find you gone. I’m used to snuggling with you in the mornings – it makes the day complete.”


“I know what you mean,” she told him softly. “I’m here now though – and it’s still morning. Will this make up for it?”


“Well it’s not quite the same as waking up with you, but it’ll do for now.”


“We could take a nap – and then wake up together…” Ashley teased, and she looked up at him smiling some. Nick laughed.


“I’m not sure Brooke would like that very much. I have to get down there eventually and interact with kids – and Brooke said last night while you were sleeping that she may need you for something.” Ashley raised her eyebrow.


“Like what?”


“She didn’t tell me.”


“Well, lets go see!” Ashley replied anxiously, and she darted from the bed, before helping Nick up. He chuckled and slid his arms around her waist before kissing her forehead softly and together they went downstairs to the lobby. When they got down there, they found Brian, Riley, AJ, and Brandon all still standing there, but now Brooke was with them.


“Where’d Kota go?” Nick asked AJ when he noticed he didn’t have his daughter with him like Ashley said he did.


“Outside. Josh dragged her out there in search of Ellie.”


“Ah, okay.” Nick replied while pulling Ashley closer to him protectively as he avoided looking at Brandon. Ashley snuggled into him, even though she knows he is only holding he so close to him out of pure jealousy – but she’ll take all the cuddling she could get. She looked at Brooke then.


“Brookie, Nick said you might need me for something?”


“Yeah, I do actually. Come with me…you and Nick both,” Brooke replied. She really only needs Ashley, but from the looks of things they just made up from an argument, so she knows she isn’t going to be able to separate the two of them, so she might as well just tell Nick to come as well. She led Nick, AJ, and Ashley to the hospital wing. When they got there, she took her to the NICU where they keep treat sick babies at. Nick noticed where she was taking them before they even got there and raised his eyebrow.


“What’s in the NICU that you need Ashley’s help with?” He asked, just as they approached the window and Brooke indicated toward it. They all peered inside, to see a nurse sitting in a rocking chair with a very small infant.


“I know from your files Ashley, that in your past you enjoyed taking care of babies. Is this still the case?” Ashley nodded.


“I love babies.”


“Well that’s great, because we could really use your help if you’re up for it. A young teenage mother just gave birth to that baby in this hospital a week ago. We don’t normally do deliveries here, seeing as how this is a children’s hospital but Doctor J took her in by emergency and because of the fact that she is a young teenager. This was the hospital she was closest to so it was our first time. The thing is, she doesn’t want the baby. She’s asked us to keep the baby here and provide her a nice safe place to live…and to find her a nice loving family who would take care of her. We don’t have any caregivers who are willing to take care of babies, they all want older kids who can pretty much do things on their own, but need supervision. So I was hoping maybe you would take on the job?”


“I would love to,” Ashley insisted, looking in at the baby through the window already falling in love with the precious child.


“What’s wrong with her? Why did you have her in an NICU?” Nick questioned.


“She was born with jaundice. It’s a common disease that infants are often born with that makes their skin yellow for the first week or two of their life. For most babies it’s a temporary, harmless condition that will go away on it’s own or with mild treatment. Or sometimes it can be very serious, so it’s important to keep an eye on it. But that is very rare. For this baby’s case, it wasn’t that serious – she just needed mild treatment under a blue light. She’s all better now though and ready for someone to take her and love her.”


“I want her. I’ll take care of her…what’s her name?” Ashley asked, still not tearing her eyes away from the baby.


“She doesn’t have one yet. The mother didn’t want to name her because – she didn’t want anything to do with the baby because she felt it would be easier to let her go that way.”


“How could she not want such a precious thing?”


“She’s a young teenage girl who didn’t want to give up her childhood. Her parents didn’t even know about it – she was so frightened. We should just be thankful she gave the baby up the right way. That she had the heart to see to it that the baby had a family who could take care of her.”


“That’s true,” Ashley agreed softly. “Can I go in and hold her?”


“Yes you may,” Brooke answered while smiling some and Ashley looked up at Nick. He grinned at her, slid his arms around her waist from behind and went into the NICU with her and Brooke and AJ followed.