- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Nine



When Nick and Ashley arrived back at the hotel, the two of them scrambled around to get everything packed, as they had an hour. It’s eleven o’ clock and they’re leaving at twelve in the morning. When they were just about finished, Sarah suddenly sauntered into the room holding her big teddy bear that she had attached herself to the moment she laid eyes on it and she went over to Nick smiling at him sweetly and he chuckled as he knows what is coming.


“Sweetheart, the teddy bear belongs to the hotel” He explained gently, and he knelt down to her height and she scowled and hugged the bear even closer as Dakota appeared in the doorway watching amusedly. “I’m sorry honey, but you have to leave him here.” Sarah shook her head; the pout on her face almost heart breaking. He sat down on the floor then and wrapped his arms around her waist before pulling her to him and he planted a kiss on her forehead.


“I’ll buy you one just like him, how about that?” Sarah shook her head stubbornly.


“She wants that one daddy,” Dakota spoke up. “There isn’t any bear that can replace him.”


“I bet the moment I walk her into build a bear she’ll be in bear heaven and that statement will be proven wrong.” Sarah shook her head earnestly.


“Honey really. There will be lots more teddy bears in your life trust me.” Sarah opened her handy-dandy-notepad then.


NOT like this one! She exclaimed, and she stomped her foot to show just exactly how serious she is. Nick looked into her eyes and saw that they were near watering point.


“Honey what is so special about this bear that you can’t find in a store somewhere else?”


He’s my friend. Nough saids She wrote.


“There are lots more teddy bears out there waiting for a special girl like you to be their friend.”


“Could you trade Uncle Brian in for another friend, Daddy?” Dakota spoke up.


“That’s different sweetheart, Uncle Brian is a human being not a teddy bear. He can’t be replaced.”


“Have you ever seen a teddy bear likes that in the stores before daddy?” She asked, walking up beside Sarah and she gently took the bear from her. “Chocolate brown fur, tan overalls, an’ hands that stick together likes magnets? Have you daddy? A teddy bear withs those cute round black eyes, an soft fur likes this?” She asked, rubbing the teddy bear’s paw against her cheek. “You buy me teddy bears all the time, and none of em have ever looked like this befores.” She then set the teddy bear down so he was standing. “He even stands! He’s special daddy I just knows it.” Nick scowled somewhat.


“What is with you two constantly ganging up on me these days?” Dakota and Sarah just stood there staring back at Nick innocently. Nick sighed and turned and looked at Ashley who was folding up Bella’s clothes behind him, quietly staying out of it.


“How do you think I should handle the situation?” He asked defeatedly.


“Well, in my honest opinion, I don’t think they should put teddy bears on display in kids rooms if they aren’t prepared to have them stolen. They’re teasing the poor kids.”


“I can’t steal the teddy bear…”


“People take things from hotels all the time, babe.”


“Yeah, normal people do but not celebrities. And they take things that aren’t going to be missed – like soap and towels. I take the teddy bear and it’ll be all over the news.” Ashley laughed.


“You’re overreacting.”


“I am not, everything we do ends up on the news I think you of all people should know that – you experienced it not too long ago if you remember.”


“So leave them a note and some money,” Ashley suggested after a few moments of silence. “Buy it off of them. Explain to them you couldn’t get your six year old to give it up.”


“I can get my six year old to give it up…the real problem is, I cant get her to give it up without breaking her heart over it.” Ashley didn’t reply, as the last thing Nick said told her that her work there has been done. She heard Bella crying and walked toward the door to get her, kissing Nick’s cheek on her way past before leaving the room. Nick groaned.


“Thanks for the help baby,” he called after her, and Ashley giggled.


“I can’t tell you what to do honey, they’re your kids.”


“Oh. Yeah. NOW they’re my kids” Nick laughed. “Just hours ago they were our kids. Coward.”


“And they’ll be our kids again once you’ve made your decision,” Ashley replied, smirking a little.


“Like I said…coward.” Nick sighed, and he looked back down at his expectant girls.


“Let me borrow your notepad honey…” Sarah smiled, and handed her hand-dandy-notepad over to him triumphantly along with her pen and she turned and skipped happily out of the room with her teddy bear. Dakota kissed his cheek and followed suit and Nick shook his head after he watched them leave.


“Spoiled kids…” he muttered to himself, and he scooted so he was leaning back against the bed and he began to write the hotel a note. When he finished he got up and sat it on the nightstand, and then he walked out of the room and went up behind Ashley, who was standing in the living room rocking Bella in her arms as she watched TV. He slid his arms around her waist from behind and kissed the side of her neck causing her to lean back into him comfortably.


“Are they our kids again?” she asked while smirking a little.


“Yes, they’re our kids again,” he replied amusedly. She smiled up at him innocently and he leaned forward and brushed his lips lightly over hers. When he pulled away, she moved out of his embrace and turned around and laid Bella back on the couch again where she had her earlier before she started crying and the two of them went back to getting ready to leave. By the time they were all ready, it was time to go so Nick lifted both girls up and placed them on his shoulders before gathering up most of their bags while Ashley took care of the one thing she could carry considering she is temporarily handicapped – Bella. He started toward the door when suddenly AJ walked in and he laughed.


“Nick…the kids could walk you know.”


“I know, but they’re both all riled up, I didn’t want them running through the halls and waking people up. It’s nearly twelve am.”


“What are they doing riled up at twelve am?” AJ demanded playfully, and he gathered his two nieces from Nick’s shoulders to relieve him of some of the stuff that he has to carry.


“Jerry gave them ice cream sundaes,” Nick answered simply.


“That’ll do it,” AJ agreed, rolling his eyes some. “I’m almost scared to know what Ellie is like.”


“Yeah, but they deserved a treat after being so good tonight, you have to admit.”


“Mhm,” AJ replied, as he set the two girls down and took hold of their hands and he steered them out into the hall and down to the lobby. Nick carried the bags, and such, and Ashley carried Bella as she followed closely at his side. When they got downstairs to the lobby they found AJ had already put the kids on the bus and was going back upstairs to get the rest of the stuff for Nick that he had left behind.


“Your brother is a life savor sometimes,” Nick insisted when he was sure AJ was well enough out of hearing point.


“Yeah, more so then usual. Why?” Ashley asked suspiciously.


“You got me,” Nick shrugged, looking away from her so she wouldn’t be able to look directly in his eyes. He went on the bus then and she followed him on there.


“Kota, Sarah, it’s time to put your pajamas on and start winding down,” Nick commanded gently.


“Buts dad—“


“-Now young lady hop to it.” Dakota scowled, and turned and stomped off toward the bunks after he had handed her, her pajamas. He handed Sarah hers as well, and she followed.


“You have five minutes to get it done! No messing around soldiers,” he called after them playfully. Just then, Kevin came on the bus dragging along a whiny Ellie.


“Buts Kevy, I don’ts wanna go to bed.”


“I know you don’t want to, you tell me that every night Ellie. And every night you lose the battle.”


“Buts—“


“—Its twelve am Elenore, you’re getting ready for bed end of discussion,” He told her, already stripping her of her shirt before they were even fully on the bus.


“NO.” Elenore protested, and she flung herself to the floor. Kevin sighed and gathered her up in his arm and carried her to the bathroom with him, her pajamas in hand and she wiggled and squirmed about stubbornly.


“Ah…the evening no bedtime battle,” Harry commented as he came on the bus holding Josh upside down over his shoulder. He set his nephew who was already in his Batman pajamas and slippers down so his feet were on the ground.


“Bri, how about we set up sleeping bags in the back room in front of the television for the kiddies? They can have a slumber party” he suggested.


“The last thing they need is a slumber party, they’ll be up all night if they’re together.”


“Nah they wont.”


“Are you kidding me? Look at them,” Brian replied, indicating toward Sarah and Dakota who Nick had just scolded for having a pillow fight in their underwear. Harry watched as he grabbed Dakota and sat down on the floor Indian style before helping her into her closed-foot pajamas, and then proceed to help Sarah next.


“They’re hyper now, but they’ve had a long day,” Harold began. “Ellie and Josh both refused their nap. Look how easy it was to get Josh into his pajamas tonight” he added, and Brian nodded his agreement, but said nothing as he knows his brother was not finished with his defense. “If we lay them down in their sleeping bags, hand them popcorn and water, put in Chipmunks…or something and turn out the lights and sit security in with them they should fall asleep if they’re just lying there.”


“We’ve tried the slumber party before, it didn’t work. They were all up for hours,” Marcus pointed out.


“We don’t have games and toys for them to get up and start playing with this time though…” Brian reminded.


“These are our kids we’re talking about here,” Marcus replied. “They’ll find a reason to get up.”


“That’s why I said we’d stick security in with them. Don’t let them up unless it’s just to go to the bathroom. I know you aren’t afraid to be firm with them if needed.”


“And the talking?”


“Quiet whispers. Eventually after lying there in the dark after awhile, they’ll go to sleep.” Marcus feeling skeptic, looked toward the bathroom door where Elenore was screeching and Kevin was very patiently telling her to settle down and to stop throwing things or she would earn herself a time out.


“She is tiring herself out even more. I saw her rub her eyes earlier. I’m telling you once she sees that no one else is playing, she’ll fall asleep.”


“How about we stick Uncle Harry in with the kids since he’s feeling so optimistic tonight,” Marcus replied.


“Okay,” Harry replied while shrugging his shoulders. “Within two hours all of them will be fast asleep.”


“Are you willing to bet money on that?”


“How much do you’ve got?” Harry took on the challenge.


“Lots. I work for the Backstreet Boys here.” Suddenly there was a big crash in the bathroom, and everybody flinched.


ELENORE ELERBEE!” Kevin roared. “THAT is it! Sit your butt in that corner, right now!” they heard him order, and then what they must imagine is Elenore flinging herself into the door sobbing.


“Ten dollars,” Marcus replied confidently. “Ten dollars that they’ll be up all night – or at least Ellie.” Just then, Jerald walked onto the bus.


“What is going on with my niece? Why is she sobbing in the bathroom?” he demanded.


“Kevin was trying to get her into her pajamas, she was throwing things…and possibly just broke something and Kevin stuck her in time out.”


“Oh man…” Jerald replied, while shaking his head.


“And we have bedtime duty tonight,” Harry added cheerfully. Jerald stared at him in bewilderment.


“Are you kidding me?”


“Nope. Marcus and I just started a bet for ten dollars that I’ll have them sleeping in two hours or less.”


“What have you gotten us into?”


“Oh come on, it will be easy.” As soon as five minutes were up, they heard Kevin start talking calmly to Elenore, but they could not hear what he was saying and eventually she stopped crying. After a few moments that she had, the door suddenly opened and Kevin walked out with a somewhat frustrated look on his face as he held Elenore. She was fully dressed in her pajamas and had her arms wrapped around his neck, her head rested against his shoulder, and she was just staring off into space, her eyes watery and to Harry’s pleasure, droopy.


“What happened? What was that crash all about?” Brian questioned worriedly. He had immediately thought of the mirror once he heard the noise.


“The Q-tip jar. She killed it.”


“Did you get it all picked up?”


“Most of it…I’m sure I messed some pieces.”


“I’ll go do it,” Marcus offered, and he took off toward the bathroom. Soon enough everybody was finally on the bus and the bus was moving toward NYC. Harry gently took Elenore from Kevin and snuggled her close as she was still upset from being put in time out.


“Jer and I are doing bedtime tonight. We’re putting the kids in sleeping bags in the back room.”


“And the sleeping bags have already been set up,” Nick announced, coming out of the bunkroom suddenly.


“Ashley and I just got done setting everything up – The Chipmunks Adventure is in the DVD player and already on the menu screen. We just have to put the kids in their sleeping bags, turn out the lights, and we’re all set.” Jerald gently took Elenore from Harry.


“I’ll take her. You got us into this, you might as well let the expert deal with her.”


“I’m sure she’s just enjoying being passed around like that,” Kevin laughed.


“There is enough Ellie to goes around,” Elenore announced, her head still rested comfortably against Jerald’s shoulder, and Jerald, Kevin, and Nick all laughed. Kevin gently raked his fingers through her hair, completely forgetting his frustration and he kissed her forehead softly.


“Good night baby. Behave for Jerry.”


“Ellie is nots going to bed,” she insisted.


“We’ll see about that,” Kevin chuckled, and he made eye contact with Jerald, wishing him good luck before his brother turned and carried his little girl back into the back room. Brian took Josh’s hand and followed. When they got back there, they found Dakota lying in her sleeping bag with Bella lying next to her sleeping peacefully as Ashley sat Indian Style between her and Sarah. Spencer was lying in his sleeping bag with Scott lying next to him and they were talking quietly, and Ryan was already asleep, as was Laila as AJ and Howie had been working on that while everyone else was in the other room talking. Brian settled Josh in his Batman sleeping bag, talked with him for a few moments, did their bedtime ritual of singing to him, and Jerald sat in the adult sized sleeping bag. Nick had set Jerald’s sleeping bag up for him knowing he would be doing a lot of lying down with Ellie. Much to Ellie’s liking, it just happened to be a Ninja Turtles sleeping bag.


“Are you letting Bells sleep in here Ash?” Jerald asked curiously.


“Nah, she won’t stay asleep the whole night I wouldn’t do that to you. Kota just insisted upon cuddling with her for awhile until it was time for the lights to go out.” Jerald chuckled softly, as he sat there cradling Elenore.


“And to think, she used to be an only child.” Ashley smiled some, looking down at Dakota, and Dakota smiled back as Ashley leaned forward and planted a kiss on her forehead.


“She’s my biggest helper.” She sat there with Dakota, Sarah, and Bella for a few moments, and then when Brian and Scott were finished saying good night to their kids and had gotten up and left the room, Nick turned out the lights and hit play on the movie. After doing that he went over and helped Ashley up before gently gathering Bella into his arms.


“Good night daddy,” Dakota whispered.


“Good night baby,” he replied, and he leaned forward and kissed her forehead, before kissing Sarah’s next and then he walked out of the room with Ashley leaving Jerald and Harry completely alone. Jerald lay back in the sleeping bag with Elenore lying against his chest and she scowled, before sitting up.


“Ellie,” he scolded, and he gently lay her back down.


“I don’ts wanna.”


“Give up sweetheart, you’ve lost the battle whether you like it or not.”


“Oh no I have nots. I will not sleep, I will nots!”


“Then just lay here and snuggle with your Uncle Jerry and watch the movie quietly.”


“Kota, if you’re going to talk please whisper” Harry spoke up, as he heard the duo twins talking. They had scooted themselves close to each other so their heads were touching and were talking amongst themselves, Sarah whispering into Dakota’s ear. He is not surprised in the least bit that she is talking to her. They all suspected it as much. Dakota can’t read, so they had to have been communicating some how. He just wonders what it is that is holding her back from talking to everybody else…and how long it’s going to be before she gets through whatever is scaring her. He would really like to hear her tell him what’s on her mind – with her words, it would really make his day. He knows it would really make Nick’s day too, as he often catches him watching her with worry, willing her to say something.



~*~*~*~*~*~


Meanwhile out in the other room, after saying good night to Josh, Brian walked out into the other room and over to Riley, and he slid his arms around her waist and pulled her near, and she smiled up at him as he planted a kiss on her forehead. As he gazed into her eyes he can see something is bothering her, despite her smile and he frowned.


“What’s the matter?” The smile on her face disappeared then, and she dropped her gaze from his questioning eyes.


“Chase called me…” She answered softly.


What? What did he want?”


“Just to harass me…”


“I’m sorry baby…I wish I knew what to do…” He told her softly, rubbing his hand over her cheek gently.


“I just got off the phone with Elliot. He’s on his way to his house right now. I told him he could wait till morning, but he said this was just getting ridiculous and that he is going to take care of it right away.”


“He is right, it is getting ridiculous and it should be taken care of before Christmas.”


“Why before then?” Riley asked curiously, raising her eyebrow at him.


“Just so that you don’t have to worry about it when you should be celebrating your favorite holiday. I don’t like it that you get so upset over him.” Riley slid her arms around his waist and he leaned forward and rested his forehead against hers. He gently caressed her cheek with his finger for a few moments. “Come here…” he told her softly, before capturing her lips for his own and leading her backward toward the bunk room to his bottom bunk where they could be alone. The moment they got there, she crawled inside and lay down and she pulled him on top of her as he shut the curtain on them. He cupped her cheek in his hand before once again claiming her lips for his own and working to free her as well as himself of the unnecessary clothing that was keeping them apart.