- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter
Enjoy =)
Chapter Three-Hundred-Eighty-Three




After Nick and Dakota finished talking and all was good between the two, he stood up with her as she had her arms wrapped firmly around his neck and she hung from him. Nick gently took her legs and wrapped them around him before resting his arms under her bottom for support and he opened her bedroom door and walked out of the room with her before heading downstairs. When he got down there he discovered Sarah, Ryan, and Laila sitting on the floor in the living room watching cartoons, Ashley sitting on the kitchen counter with Bella in her arms, and AJ was standing on the carpet in the living room leaning against the island. Nick started to enter the kitchen when Ashley caught sight of him.


“Stop!” she ordered and Nick did so abruptly and looked at her curiously.


“I just mopped the kitchen floor and it’s not quite dry yet. You will have to go around.” Nick rolled his eyes playfully and turned and walked all the way around so that he was standing next to AJ.


“Hey Jay, how long have you been here?” he asked curiously as he kissed Dakota’s forehead softly


“Long enough to hear the play by play of everything I missed,” AJ answered while eyeing Nick and Dakota curiously. “Whats Dakota been sentenced to?” He questioned, and Dakota rested her head against Nick’s shoulder before nestling the top of it in the crook of his neck comfortably.


“No dessert for a week,” Nick answered simply as he began to slowly sway to the Love Ballads that were currently being advertised on television.


“No dessert for a week?” AJ asked incredulously. “For all of that?”


“Well, yeah…” Nick answered unashamed as he cuddled with his little girl. AJ looked over at Ashley who sat there quietly amused with her boyfriend.


“Jeez Nick…soft much?” he asked when clearly she wasn’t going to say anything.


“My little girl has been through a lot lately, what with her night terrors and no sleep in result of them, her fear of the basement, opening up to me almost entirely about Thomas…I just couldn’t bring myself to be too hard on her this time. And anyway, she stuck up for herself, it was self defense and I’ve been teaching her since the day she was old enough to understand that it is very important for her to stick up for herself. So…yeah, we had a long discussion on what’s right and what’s wrong and she’s been banned from dessert. That’s a good enough punishment in my book.” AJ shook his head in amusement.


“Just don’t let Josh hear this, he got the worst punishment out of the bunch – so far anyway. We still have to hear from Kevin.”


“Oh I’m pretty sure Josh will be pleased,” Nick replied while rolling his eyes at Dakota playfully and she smiled up at him innocently. “That was his whole reason in hiding her anyway, he didn’t want her to get in trouble. Knowing him he will be happy to have gotten the worst if it means Dakota got the least of it.” AJ chuckled and moved closer to Nick before leaning forward and planting a kiss on Dakota’s cheek.


“Don’t ever say your father doesn’t love you kiddo, or I will be the first one to correct you.” Nick smirked and hugged Dakota closer to him as he delicately ran his fingers through her light blonde hair.


“She knows her daddy loves her very much,” he insisted. “She knows she is my little princess.”


“Princess is right,” AJ smirked as he stood there and watched the beautiful father and daughter Kodak moment that he always enjoys witnessing.


“So anyway Alex, you never told me where Howie and Lindsey were,” Ashley pointed out after awhile of enjoying the moment herself.


“I insisted that they go back to the house alone together while I took the kids,” AJ answered while smiling over Ryan who was suddenly smiling back. “Ashley, Ryan and I have a favor to ask of you.”


“Whats up?” Ashley asked curiously, and AJ looked back over at Ryan and gave him the look of approval that he’d been told to wait for and Ashley looked over at Ryan as well.


“Will you help AJ and I romance my mom and Howie together? Please?” Ashley’s entire face lit up then and Nick chuckled.


“Oh boy, you’ve said the magic word.”


“Absolutely sweetie. Anything to see them happy,” Ashley insisted. “We’ll discuss stuff over dinner all right? I wont be here for a few days though, so I’m going to have to give you suggestions and then you and AJ will be on your own. You can always call me, but still. I won’t physically be here to help for a few days.”


“Kay,” Ryan replied happily, and Ashley looked down at Bella in her arms whom she was currently finishing up on feeding a bottle to. She sat it down on the counter and then looked at Nick.


“Nicky the floor should be dry now, will you come get me please? I don’t want to jump down and risk hurting Bella.”


“Sure baby,” Nick smiled and he kissed Dakota’s forehead softly before putting her down. “Go watch cartoons honey okay?” Dakota nodded and he watched her as she ran on over and plopped down right in Sarah’s lap where she lay sideways and wasted no time and getting drawn into Scooby Doo. He grinned a little as he watched Sarah let her and then he slipped off his shoes and entered the kitchen. He walked across the way to Ashley and he gently took Bella from her and kissed the top of her head as Ashley slid down from the counter. As soon as she did she went on over to the pantry and opened it up before peering inside.


“What should we have for dinner Nicky?” she asked curiously as she started shifting things around and looking at what they have. Nick walked over to the carseat on the island and gently placed Bella in it before walking up behind Ashley, sliding his arms around her and kissing the back of her neck softly.


“I thought that I would make us some spaghetti while you go sit in the living room with AJ and relax.” Ashley scowled slightly.


“I don’t mind helping.”


“I want to be a gentlemen and make my girlfriend dinner, is that too much to ask?” Nick asked while placing feathery light kisses on her neck and shoulders and Ashley smiled a little.


“No I guess not,” She sighed. “But does that mean I’m not allowed to get the laundry started? We have to wake up early in the morning you know.” Nick rolled his eyes playfully.


“After dinner.”


“Fine,” she replied while heaving an exaggerated sigh and he smirked.


“Take the baby and go sit down.”


“But—“


“-Now lady, March.”


“Yes master, yes” Ashley giggled and she headed toward Bella. Nick grinned in satisfaction and reached out and gave her a playful swat on the bottom as she went. Ashley yelped and giggled, flashed him the best sexy look she could muster and then turned her attention on Bella. She gently gathered her in his arms and gently rubbed her nose against hers.


“Come on baby girl, this is a man’s kitchen tonight” She teased and she watched him narrow his eyes playfully in the corner of her eye as she went and joined her brother and the kids n the living room. Just as she was headed in there, she heard the front door open and Spencer’s excited voice as he entered the house.


“Auntie Ashee, I’m HERE!” he announced happily and Ashley giggled as the little boy came flying around the corner.


Yay now the real party can begin!” Spencer laughed and ran on over and threw his arms about her legs and he hugged her tightly. Ashley smiled and reached down and gently ruffled his hair with one hand as she held Bella in her other arm.


“Hi kiddo, how’s my favorite nephew? Where’d you come from?”


“Momma, Wiley, and I were out shopping.”


“Ooh I see,” Ashley replied just as Kori and Wiley came walking around the corner and she looked over at Nick.


“Nicky I think you’d better make enough for three more.”


“Nah that’s okay sweetie I don’t want to intrude. We just came to visit, you don’t have to feed us or anything,” Kori insisted.


“Nonsense you are eating,” Ashley demanded as Kori approached her and she allowed her to kiss her cheek.


“Do we at least get to know what we’re eating?” Wiley asked amusedly as he plopped down in the lazy boy chair.


“Spaghetti,” Ashley answered happily as Kori sat down on the couch next to her, slid her arms around her, and rested her head against her shoulder. She is clearly in a ‘loving on her sister’ kind of mood and Ashley has no argument there.


“And meatballs for the kids,” Nick added from the kitchen.


“What were you shopping for?” AJ asked curiously.


“Stuff for our trip tomorrow morning. Which reminds me, are you coming with?” Kori wanted to know.


“Duh,” AJ insisted as Laila crawled into his lap and he pulled her into a hug. “I go anywhere Ashley does…and Lindz has given me permission to bring Laila since there is no way she is going to put up with me being gone for very long without her.”


“Well aren’t you just the perfect brother,” Kori commented sarcastically and AJ stuck his tongue out at her causing her to do the same right back. Kori tightened his arms around her sister selfishly as she and AJ threw each other looks and instantly reverted into their typical sibling rivalry. Ashley rolled her eyes and sat there quietly taking comfort in the fact that at least they’re both arguing over her. At least that means they both love her. She looked down at Bella who was lying comfortably against her legs and she was watching Kori and AJ with great amusement.


“Don’t you pay any attention to your silly aunt and uncle bells, they’re a very bad example for you,” she told her playfully and Bella smiled hugely in response and gurgled.



~*~*~*~*~


Meanwhile at the Orphanage, when Kevin finally had Elenore calmed down and warmed up he got up from the playroom floor and glanced at Jerald, Brian, Aaron, and security.


“I’m taking Ellie home so her and I can spend some very much needed time together, Jer. Either you can come with us or not but either way we’re going.”


“Aren’t you going to tell Ellie what her punishment for running off is?” Jerald asked curiously. With the way his brother has been acting, he thought he would jump at it as soon as he had her calmed down again. Kevin looked down at Elenore who was gazing up at him with tear stained cheeks waiting for him to come out with it already herself. He thought about it for a moment before replying.


“It can wait.” Jerald raised his eyebrow.


“Huh?” he asked, feeling completely thrown off guard and he stared at his younger brother as if there is something very wrong here. He looked at Brian then.


“Do you think maybe he hit his head on something when he fell?”


“I’m fine you guys, I just don’t want to be the bad guy right now…I’ve obviously done quite enough of that lately. I just want to go home and spend time with my little girl is that so terrible?”


No…of course not…” Jerald trailed while eyeing his brother curiously. He strongly believes he’s hit his head on something and has sucked not just himself but ALL of them into an alternate world or something.


“Well then are you coming or not?”


“I’m gonna stay here with Brian for awhile. Mom is there though, I’ll call her to let you know you’re coming.” Kevin rolled his eyes slightly at the mistrust he heard on the edge of his brother’s voice and then headed out of the playroom with Elenore in his arms and he placed soft kisses on her forehead as he went. Elenore tightened her arms around her daddy, rested her head against his shoulder, and was prepared to holler if anyone tries to ruin her moment. The moment that she still hasn’t decided is real or not. Just as she was beginning to relax and think she was home free, they came face to face with the one woman who has a real talent for messing things up for Ellie. Summer was just on her way in the building as Kevin and Elenore were on their way out. Elenore tightened her arms around Kevin and put the death grip on him and she suppressed the urge to tell Summer that it isn’t tomorrow yet and she needs to go away. She knows she is already in trouble enough as is for what she said earlier to her over the phone.


“Summer what are you doing here? We agreed that we wouldn’t see each other until tomorrow remember?”


No, you agreed and I simply went a long with it. But Kevy I just couldn’t wait until tomorrow, I missed you…” Summer insisted before wrapping her arms around him possessively for a hug. Kevin returned it as Elenore clung to him and he was careful not to squish her. He gave Summer a very brief kiss and pulled back to look at her.


“Let’s go get some dinner together, please? I want to spend sometime alone with you…and Ellie, of course.”


“Not tonight Sum, I’m sorry. I told Ellie I would spend the evening with just her.” Summer frowned suddenly, clearly not expecting to be turned down.


“Aww…but Kevy,” she pouted.



“I’m sorry honey but I told you I agreed to spend a few days with my family…I will see you tomorrow okay?”


Fine!” Summer huffed and Kevin sighed as he watched her cross her arms over her chest and look away from him.


“Come on honey don’t be like that…”


“No its fine, just go” Summer sniffed. Kevin stared at her for a couple of seconds, and then leaned forward to kiss her again only to be given the cheek instead.


“I will call you tomorrow I promise,” he told her and then continued on his way to the car and Elenore tightened her arms around him and kissed his cheek affectionately. She can’t believe he just turned Summer down for her. That never happens. Once to the car, Kevin opened the door to the backseat and sat her in her booster seat before buckling her up. When she was all settled he shut her door and got into his own seat before pulling out his cell phone. He flipped it open, hit the number one speed dial button, and placed it to his ear. After two rings, Ann answered.


“Kevin? Whats going on? Jer told me you were coming home. You should be pulling into the driveway by now.”


“I’m sorry Ma, I sort of ran into Summer.”


“What?? Kevin if you think you’re go—“


“-Mom, Mom! Calm down. I told her I was spending the evening with Ellie and that she would have to wait for tomorrow to see me,” Kevin quickly explained before she could go off on him. Ann fell silent on the other end and Kevin waited. When she didn’t reply he began to worry.


“Momma? Are you there?”


“You…you turned her down? Summer? Really?”


“Well I promised my little girl that tonight was hers. Anyway mom I was thinking you didn’t come all the way here to Florida just to cook for us…why don’t you meet Ellie and I at Denny’s for dinner? I’m buying.”


“Denny’s? How fancy of you,” Ann teased and Kevin chuckled.


“Well I was thinking low key. I don’t want to run into any fans, I just want it to be a special family evening. And anyway, I think Ellie is coming down with a cold…I’m worried about her. So I figured plain old pancakes and chocolate milk for dinner might be good for her.”


“And maybe some warm oatmeal,” Ann suggested. “Warm stuff is always good for the cold.”


“Okay I’ve gotta drive mom so I’ll meet you there,” Kevin insisted.


“Okay,” Ann replied happily and the two of them hung up the phone. Kevin stuffed his in his pocket before starting up the car and heading off to Denny’s. Kevin glanced back at Ellie through the rearview mirror only to catch her staring right back. He smiled at her some and Ellie smiled back before darting her eyes away and feeling somewhat shy at having been caught staring.


“What do you want to listen to Princess?” he asked while turning on the radio.


“98 Degrees,” Ellie insisted and Kevin groaned playfully causing her to giggle.


“Do we have to? We listen to that all the time.”


“Nick Lachey is cute daddy.”


“Sweetheart the only thing I want you thinking is cute are puppy dogs and bunny rabbits,” Kevin insisted while hitting play on the stereo causing 98 Degrees to spill out of the speakers.


“An’ Nick Lachey,” Elenore added innocently. Kevin chuckled softly and turned his full attention back on the road.


“Daddy is Uncle Jerry gonna takes Lil’ Rok home for us?”


“Of course baby.”


“Kay, just makin’ sure.” The rest of the ride to Denny’s was a quiet one except for the music and Ellie sat there bobbing her head and enjoying it. When they arrived at Denny’s the spotted Ann standing just outside it leaning up against the building waiting patiently for them. Kevin got out of the car and then proceeded to get Ellie out. As soon as he did he placed her on his right hip before walking over to his mother and kissing her on the cheek.


“Hi Ma,” he greeted and the two of them headed inside the restaurant. When they got in there and waited at the podium to be seated Kevin glanced around the restaurant and was pleased to see that it was as empty as he hoped. After waiting just a few moments a young woman with long blonde curls and light blue eyes approached and she smiled at them.


“Just three?” she asked, her eyes instantly falling on Kevin.


“Yes its just us,” Kevin confirmed as his eyes locked with hers and for a brief moment he had to fight not to lose all of the air in his lungs. The young woman looked away then to grab up two adult menus and one child’s menu and some crayons.


“Okay, right this way then” She announced and began to lead them through the restaurant and Ann and Kevin followed, Ann watching her son curiously. She hadn’t missed his little moment, but then she is his mother after all. She catches everything. Soon enough they approached a small booth and Kevin casually watched her as she placed each menu on the table. When she finished Ann and Kevin crawled in each taking aside and Kevin placed Ellie beside her.


“Your server will be right with you,” she announced while flashing them all a friendly smile.


“Thank-you,” Ann replied while smiling right back and then the waitress turned and walked off – but not before Kevin could get a glimpse of her nametag, which read Kristin.