- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter
Enjoy =)
Chapter Four-Hundred-Twenty-Seven



Kevin and Jerald played a couple of games of basketball for two hours straight until suddenly Ellie came walking out holding a tray of two glasses of lemonade and a plate of chocolate chip cookies on it. She wore a little apron and a big smile on her flour covered face. Kevin who was the first to notice his little princess come out smirked and stopped and he gently grabbed Jerald’s shoulder as he was standing there dribbling the ball. Jerald stopped and looked at him curiously, he motioned toward Ellie, and Jerald looked at her too and smiled amusedly.


“Aww…has the little chef brought us some cookies and lemonade?”


“Uh-huhs. Kristin thought you two might be thirsty after playin’ so hard an’ I saids that you should be our taste testers too. So she saids I could bring you some.”


“Well, that was very sweet of you to think about us. We would love some of that” Kevin replied while going over and settling himself under the tree and Jerald dropped the basketball and followed. Ellie beamed and brought the tray over to them, being sure to walk very carefully toward them as to not spill or anything.


“What kind do we have here?” Jerald asked curiously.


“We both made chocolate chip cookies together an’ Kristin wanted to makes peanut cookies – she made those herself.” The two of them each grabbed up one of each and took a bite and she watched them anxiously for their opinion.


“Mmm…these are delicous!”


“Oh yeah Ellie…are you sure you and Kristin made these? These taste as good as Aunt Jackie’s” Jerald added, making the little girl’s face glow with pride.


“That is quite a compliment Uncle Jerry.”


“And true. Jackie had better watch it or you are going to give her a run for her money,” he teased while reaching over and tickling her now that she no longer held the tray since Kevin had taken it and she squirmed and giggled. She watched as Kevin took a drink of his lemonade and then grabbed another peanut butter cookie and he bit into it.


“Are those your favorites daddy?” She asked, and she couldn’t help but smile at him teasingly and Jerald chuckled.

“Peanut Butter is one of daddy’s favorite kind of cookies,” Kevin informed her innocently and Jerald though very amused nodded in agreement.


“Your grandfather passed that down to him. They used to eat Peanut Butter cookies together all the time.” Kevin smiled at the memory and he leaned forward and kissed Ellie’s cheek.


“Chocolate chip is another one of my favorites though. They are both very good baby, and I can see you had fun making them,” he added while lightly poking her flour covered nose and she giggled some more.


“Do you think Grandpa is watching us this very moment daddy?” she asked, suddenly thinking of Lindy who has been mysteriously quietly lately, though she can swear she feels her appearance – usually at night when she’s asleep she gets the feeling that she’s not alone. She’ll wake up in the middle night and glance at her rocking chair swearing that someone is sitting in it only to find it empty. But she always feels safe, so she doesn’t make a huge fuss over it. she sure does miss talking to her though. She has absolutely no knowledge about her being her grandmother, or that she is even a ghost, but the thought of her watching over her at night is highly relevant.


“Of course he is,” Kevin answered, being completely taken aback by her question. Tim had explained to her one time what happened to their father, but at the time she didn’t really comprehend it enough to ask very many questions. He handed the tray in his hands over to Jerald then and slid his arms around her waist and pulled her near. He is glad that she is asking him questions. He wants to talk to her about his father. Him grieving over him has kept him from being the proper father Ellie has needed in the past, has made him shut her out and turn to Summer of all people for comfort, and he doesn’t want that happening again. He needs to get a grip on himself…and maybe she will help him in some innocent way.


“I wish he could’ve known me,” Ellie insisted sadly. “I bet he was just as nice as Gramma.”


“He does know you Princess,” Kevin reassured gently, and though he suddenly had tears in his eyes he smiled. “In some sense…he does. I bet he is up there in Heaven smiling down on us right now.”


“Yeah…but it still would’ve been nice to knows him.” Kevin leaned forward and kissed her forehead softly.


“I would’ve loved for him to know you too. He was a really great dad…I loved – love, him very much. And I know he would’ve loved you too.”


“You thinks so?”


“Oh I know so. How could he not?” Kevin asked and he rubbed his nose lightly over hers causing her to smile slightly despite the serious conversation. “You are a sweet, special little girl, and everybody who gets a chance to meet Ellie falls in love with her – its inevitable. I bet he would’ve been on my case about adopting you ten times more then Jerry and Tim were.”


“Oh yeah,” Jerald agreed, smiling some. “He would make Tim and I seem like nothing compared. You would’ve had him wrapped around your little finger angel.” Ellie stood there hugging Kevin for a long moment, and eventually she reached over and pulled Jerald into a hug too. After a long while, Kevin spoke up.


“I bet Kristin is waiting for you to get back in there and help her unload more cookies from the oven. Why don’t you take this empty plate and the empty lemonade glasses back in there honey?”


“Kay. An’ should I tells Kristin you liked her cookies bestest?” Ellie asked, and she went right back to her teasing. Kevin shook his head in response and Jerald chuckled and wiped the tears from his eyes.


“Go right on ahead and do it – and tell her I liked them a lot too. And give her a big hug for me okay?” Kevin arched his eyebrow at his brother then and Ellie tilted her head to the side looking at him as if he were suddenly growing three heads.


“You all right Jer? Did the conversation hit you harder then you are letting on?” Kevin asked with genuine concern and he swung his arm around his shoulders.


“I’m fine,” Jerald reassured, and even smiled a little so that Kevin would see that he means it. “I really am trying to give her a chance.”


“I bet she would like the hug a lot better if it came from you,” Kevin informed. “It’s no secret that she tries to impress you,” He added after watching Ellie go on inside.


“Why in the world would she try and impress me when its you she wants?” Jerald wanted to know, pretending to be oblivious and he got up and grabbed the basketball again.


“Well, you don’t exactly make your wariness toward her a secret. The way you look at her, the way you talk to her, she knows. She’s not dumb.” Jerald shrugged his shoulders.


“And maybe sometime she’ll get that hug. But right now, you and I have some basketball to get back to,” Jerald insisted though he made a mental note to himself to let up a little bit. Kevin rolled his eyes, but got up and went back to one more game. They played for another hour, and then they went back into the house to see what’s going on in the kitchen. When they got inside however, they heard Ellie shrieking. Jerald and Kevin both tensed up and made a run for it toward the door – Jerald beat him there, pulled it open, and was ready to grab another abusive woman away from his niece only to be stopped short in the doorway by Kevin who had grabbed onto his shoulder. He opened his mouth to snap at him but Kevin grabbed onto his jaw and gently turned his head toward them so he could really see what all the commotion is about. There in front of them was Kristin and Ellie having a flour fight and he finally really allowed himself to hear more then just the shrieking. He had automatically assumed the worst and therefore didn’t even hear that she was giggling too.


Kevin felt Jerald relax slightly, though he is now rather embarrassed and put off by the misunderstanding and Kevin loosened his hold on him somewhat while never taking his eyes off the scene before him. He smiled in amusement and felt pure joy upon hearing Ellie’s giggles and watching her play with a woman who has some major potential of being his girlfriend. He watched as Kristin tickled her and Ellie giggled and squirmed – eventually broke free of her hold, and darted behind a chair and she threw another handful of flour at her.


“I feel stupid,” Jerald whispered in Kevin’s ear and Kevin gently rubbed his hand over his back in attempt to sooth him.


“Don’t. I thought the worst too up until I heard her giggling.”


“I couldn’t even hear her giggling – all I heard was her screaming and all other noise cancelled out in my panic.”


“She’s not another Summer. Ellie is safe.”


“I believe that now,” Jerald replied softly. “I’ve been a jerk.”


“No, you’ve been a great Uncle.” Jerald opened his mouth to protest but Kevin quickly went on. “And a great brother and I’m really glad you moved in with us – I’m even more glad that I didn’t lose you when I was being a jerk.”


“You can thank Ellie for that,” Jerald replied while smiling at his niece in front of him as she played, she and Kristin both completely oblivious to their audience. “She has me forever attached to your side…Id follow you to the ends of the earth so long as you had her with you, no matter how big of a jerk you are being.” Kevin looked slightly amused.


“But not because I am your favorite brother or anything, right? That has nothing to do with it in the least?” Jerald smirked.


“Who said anything about me having a favorite?” Kevin rolled his eyes.


“You wouldn’t have moved away from Kentucky – where you’ve lived all your life to live with me if I weren’t your favorite.”


“Like I said – Ellie.” Jerald insisted though he was grinning and Kevin recognizes the playful air. Kevin rolled his eyes once more and Jerald lifted his foot up behind him and kicked him playfully in the arse and Kevin scoffed and did it right back.


“I have to admit you’ve gotten a lot better at that, bro. I remember when you were just a little boy you had a really hard time not falling on your face,” Jerald chuckled.


“Maybe someday you’ll be able to look at me and realize I’m not a kid anymore,” Kevin pointed out and Jerald shrugged.


“You certainly try to prove it to me a lot – Id say you best relax if you want to keep up with this one,” he informed quietly, and he motioned toward Kristin. “I think its safe to say she’ll have you lightened up in no time. I like her already.”


“Already? It took you long enough.”


“She and Ellie are making a mess of your kitchen – aren’t you going to make a fuss?” Jerald challenged. Just then, Ellie whirled around to get away from Kristin and the flour she was about to launch at her and she stopped short in her tracks and stared at her uncle and father standing in the doorway cautiously. Her pause caused Kristin to stop too and she followed her gaze and froze.


“Hi Uncle Jerry” She paused. “…Hi Daddy. How’s it going?” Ellie asked innocently, and she gulped quietly. She looked around her father’s usually very squeaky-clean kitchen and suddenly felt the need to grab Kristin and bolt out the nearest exit. “The flour fight was my idea daddy – I started it,” She added quickly, not wanting Kristin to get into trouble. “She tried to tells me you might gets angry but I didn’ts listen…an’ before she knew it she was joining in. Don’ts get mad.” Kevin smiled at her warmly.


“Did you have fun?” he asked gently and he closed the distance between them before kneeling down and looking into her eyes. Ellie nodded quietly, her little eyes lighting up at the thought of just how much fun it was. “Well then that’s all that matters,” Kevin beamed and Ellie looked at him confused.


“You’re not mad?” she asked slowly.


“Nope, I’m not mad” Kevin reassured. “Infact…” he reached over and grabbed a handful of flour off of the table that they were making cookies on. “I’m a little bummed that you two are in here having a party without me.” He told her and then lifted his handful of flour up above Ellie’s head, opening it up, and allowing the flour to sprinkle out over her head and Ellie gaped in astonishment not believing her Kevy just did that. Deciding she wouldn’t question it and just enjoy it while it lasts, she shook her head.


“Oh daddy, that was not very wise,” She informed, and then threw her handful of flour at him in return before whirling around and running for cover. Kevin was up in an instant and he launched flour at Kristin next, who smirked and instantly retaliated and the next thing Jerald knew it, he was standing there watching his normally serious brother have a flour fight with his daughter and girlfriend in the making. He stood there watching for a long moment not believing his eyes and then he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, turned it on, and dialed Q’s number. After a couple of rings he answered.


“Hello?”


“Are you seeing this?” Jerald questioned even though he knows perfectly well that he should be. He’s the one who told him to keep an eye on Kristin and Ellie.


“Uh-huh,” Q answered, sounding just as amazed. Jerald shook his head and Q responded. “Are you convinced that she is good for him now?”


“I guess so, no one is ever going to listen to my doubts again after this,” Jerald answered after leaving the kitchen and knowing that Kristin was out of hearing range. They talked for a little while longer, and then Q spoke up.


“Go in there and enjoy your happy brother Jer. I’ve gotta get back to work – Laney needs help.”


“Kay, see you later tonight when we all go over there.”


“Mhm,” Q replied, and then hung up without another word. Jerald turned around and headed into the kitchen again. As soon as he stepped through the door though, he suddenly saw three handfuls of flour coming at him at once. Jerald cried out in surprise and brought his hands up and tried to shelter himself as much as possible – they’d been waiting for him.



~*~*~*~*~



“Julie sweetie,” Doctor Johnson called out gently as he walked out into the backyard after searching for the ring for two whole hours and coming up with nothing. Brandon followed after him knowing what he was about to ask. Annabelle had come back from being out and was upstairs showering and getting ready for the evening and Doctor Johnson is getting desperate.


“Yeah Stevie?” Julie asked while looking up from the little round table and chairs that she had all of her dolls and teddy bears set up at and she was hosting a make believe tea party. He walked over to her and knelt down in front of her and he looked into her eyes.


“Remember that pretty ring you helped Brandon and I pick out the other day?” he asked gently. Julie’s eyes lit up then at the memory of the ring telling Doctor Johnson that she indeed remembers it.


“The ring for mommy?” she asked in a whisper, knowing perfectly well that her mom is home.


“Yes, that’s the one. Brandon is missing it and we can’t find it anywhere. Have you by any chance been in his art studio? I know you were begging me to let you wear it.”


“Not since my Brandon showed me his paintings. You an’ Mommy puts me to bed after that remember?” Doctor Johnson stared at her for a long moment.


“What about in the morning? Were you in there at all in the morning?”


“Brandon told me I’m not ever allowed in there without him an’ even if I wanted to go in there he keeps it locked. I wouldn’t take your ring Stevie, I know how important it is to you,” Julie answered and she frowned at the very subtle way he was trying to accuse her. Why would he think she’d take his important ring? Doesn’t he know that she wants her mommy to marry him just as badly as he does? She turned away from him visibly hurt and she grabbed up her teddy bear and hugged it close to her. Doctor Johnson sighed heavily, feeling deeply sorry for upsetting his angel and he scooted closer and slid his arms around her before pulling her into a gentle hug.


“I’m sorry angel, I didn’t mean to sound so accusing. I just wanted to know if you’ve seen it. It’s very important that I find that ring.”


“If I had seen it I would tell you.” Doctor Johnson kissed her cheek softly and rubbed his hand over her back.


“I love you Julie,” He told her, not wanting her to be mad at him.


“Love you too,” Julie told him softly and she sunk into him. He got up with her and he turned and headed into the house the irritation very clear in his eyes, though Brandon can see he is staying calm for Julie’s sake.


“What am I going to do Brandon?” he asked stressfully when they were in the kitchen. Peyton is upstairs with Annabelle helping her get ready and keeping her well out of hearing range.


“You’re going to give Julie to me and go get ready for your date. That’s what you are going to do.”


“But there isn’t a ring. What is the point of doing this now when I don’t have the ring?” Doctor Johnson asked and Brandon swears he can hear the accusation in his voice – the harshness of it stabbing him in the heart.


“So there’s no beautiful fancy engagement ring,” Brandon replied after a moment, shrugging his shoulders. Doctor Johnson stared at him not understanding where he is getting at and Brandon slid his mood ring off his finger. “Use this for now…and I’ll go out and buy you another ring with my money.”


“But—“


“—She loves you so much Steve that I’m sure she’s not going to care what you propose to her with – so long as you do.” Doctor Johnson opened his mouth to respond and Brandon cut him off, foreseeing the question he was going to ask.


“You can tell her its just for now – that you will have something better for her by tomorrow afternoon.” He gently took Julie from him then and giving him no more room to argue he gently pushed him toward the door. “Go get ready.” Doctor Johnson sighed and did as he’s told. Brandon smiled weakly down at the little girl in his arms and he kissed her cheek affectionately.


“So why don’t you help your Brandon make dinner for you, Peyton, and I kiddo huh?” he asked gently and he set her on the counter before searching the kitchen cabinets for ideas. “What do you think we should have?”


“Pizza.”


“That I can do. I can make a really good home made pizza that would put Pizza Hut to shame,” he bragged playfully and winked at her making her giggle and swoon.



~*~*~*~*~



“Sheesh Kev…I never knew that you knew how to make such a big mess” Jerald announced when the flour fight had ended and they were all sitting around regaining their composure. Kevin rolled his eyes and Ellie just giggled.


“Like I didn’t have the help…”


“And you’ll have just as much help cleaning it up, I promise. I’m sorry I made a mess of your kitchen” Kristin spoke up and Kevin smiled at her warmly.


“Don’t worry about it – this house could use a little bit of mess every once in awhile.” He reached over and gently squeezed her hand. “We’ll clean it up later – you owe me a basketball game.” Kristin smirked.


“You mean the basketball game that I am going to own?” she asked, keeping things playful so she doesn’t have to think about how good it feels to have her hand in his – or how interesting its going to be playing basketball with him and those arms. Kevin scoffed at her words and was up on his feet in an instant before gently helping her up.


“We’ll see who is owning the game after we’re through – we both know it won’t be you though,” he told her and then he was headed for the front yard with Kristin following him and Ellie and Jerald were close behind them.