- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Five:


When Nick got up to the right floor he went down to Ashley’s room and walked in to find her sitting up in bed and hugging her legs close to her chest as she waited patiently for him. He had told her in the walkie-talkie that he was coming so she wouldn’t panic.


“Hey sweetie…did you sleep okay?”


“Yes,” She answered softly and she held her arms out to him. He smiled at her a little bit and went and sat down next to her before taking her carefully into his arms. “You left me all alone,” she pouted.


“I’m sorry sweetheart…it was only for a little while. I had to discuss some things with Riley.”


“Like what?”


“Just some business stuff…you don’t need to worry about it okay?”


“Kay…”


“Anyway, it’s about time for me to help get the cafeteria ready for breakfast…shall we go down there?”


“Mm hmm.” He got up from the bed cradling her in his arms and she rested her head against his shoulder.


“Nicky…I’m cold.” She whimpered and he grabbed the blanket from her bed that he knows is special to her. He can tell that it is because it’s a quilt with blue and pink squares on it and in between those squares there are pictures of her and her mom together when she was very little. Just by looking at the special blanket Nick assumes her mom must’ve been brilliant at sewing. He’s never seen a blanket with pictures sewed into it before. He wrapped Ashley in it and she snuggled into his chest comfortably as he carried her downstairs with him. When he got down there with her he brought her into the cafeteria where he found Riley, Brian, Doctor Johnson, and Doctor Adams at. Ashley held onto Nick tightly at the sight of Doctor Adams. Nick felt her tighten her grip on him and knows why. He didn’t say anything, he only held her closer as he brought her over to Riley and Brian.


“Hi Ashley, did you sleep okay?” Brian greeted her and he kissed her on the cheek. She smiled up at him causing him to smile back. She may not really know Brian very well, and she may not be very close to him just yet but she knows he’s safe. He’s everything the fans who have met him say he is. The sweetest and most caring man you will ever meet and amazing with kids. She sat and watched him for a half n hour as he read a story to a group of kids yesterday and they all love him to death. She doesn’t blame them one bit.


“Yes, much better than usual.”


“Well that’s definitely a good thing. Maybe Nick and Dakota should sleep in your room more often.”


“Nick why don’t you see if she will let you sit her at one of the tables? We need your help.” Riley suddenly spoke up.


“Okay,” Nick replied and he brought Ashley over to a nearby table that has already been set up.


“I’m going to sit you down here for awhile okay? I need to do some work. Just speak up if you need me for anything it doesn’t matter what it is.”


“Kay…” she replied as he sat her in a chair. He grabbed another one and gently placed her feet on it for a foot rest. She snuggled up under her blanket comfortably and he kissed the top of her head before walking away and he started to help set up tables. As he did he noticed that Doctor Adams is looking over at her as he un-stacks some chairs around a table. Nick thought for a couple of minutes, than he looked over at Dakota who is sitting on one of the stools to the island and is watching everyone work.


“Dakota”


“Yeah Nicky?”


“Why don’t you go keep Ashley company?”


“Okay!” she replied happily and she jumped down from her stool and went over to Ashley. By the time the cafeteria was done being set up it was time for breakfast and the kids were all being let in. Nick went into the kitchen for a few minutes and when he came out he had a plate in his hands. It has bacon, eggs, hash browns and he has a dozen red roses in his hand as well as a can of dr pepper. He walked over to Ashley and she looked up at him curiously.


“Here’s your breakfast, Ash.” He told her, as he sat the plate down in front of her. “I thought that you deserved to have a special breakfast this morning. A little birdie told me that this is your favorite meal so I talked with one of the cooks yesterday and had this arranged. Everyone else is having pancakes.”


“Nick…you didn’t have to do this…”


“No, but I wanted to.” He insisted, as he sat in the chair on the other side of her as Dakota still sat on the left of her. He took her hand and stared into her eyes lovingly.


“I wanted you to have a perfect morning since last night was such a nightmare for you. I wanted to make you feel special.”


“Well it worked…” She answered softly, as a single tear rolled down her cheek and she smiled into his eyes making him smile in return.


“And I wanted to see you smile again like I got the pleasure of seeing last night. You have such a beautiful smile… did you know that when you smile you bright up the whole room and make everyone else around you smile too?” She shrugged her response and he placed his hand to her cheek and gently caressed it.


“Well it’s true. Everyone loves to see you smile. It’s contagious… not even kidding.” He gazed into her eyes for a few minutes, just thinking about how much he loved the beautiful girl sitting in front of him and just how much he loved to see her smile. He may have only known her for three days but he doesn’t care. He knows he’s going to be with her some day. He just has to work real hard on earning it like Brian had said. When he finally came back to reality he kissed her cheek and placed the roses in her lap. “Anyway, you eat your breakfast before it gets cold and I’m going to take Dakota to make her plate. I will be right back okay?”


“Kay.” He then picked Dakota up as she has a big smile on her face from watching the two of them and he carried her off toward the food. Ashley watched him go with a small smile on her face as she wonders what she did to deserve such a great man to take care of her. ‘Could I have really found home? Have I really found someone who truly cares about me?’ she asked herself.


“You’ve really made her happy over there, Nick. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her smile that big before. In fact, I believe that’s the first smile I’ve seen out of her since she arrived here.” Riley told him, as she and Brian were getting their breakfast too. Nick beamed happily as he grabbed his and Dakota’s plate.


“I was born to make her happy,” was all he said and Riley and Brian exchanged knowing smiles with one another.


“What do you want on your plate sweetie?” Nick asked Dakota.


“Pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs,” she answered as she rested her head against Nick’s shoulder and he fixed both of their plates. When he finished he walked away from the island while looking down at Dakota.


“Where do you want to sit sweetheart? At the table with us or at another table?”


“Over there by the window,” Dakota answered, pointing to the table that no one else is sitting at and it’s by the window. “I want to be able to see the rain,” she told him as it’s still raining from last night but not half as bad.


“Okay sweetie,” He replied, and he brought her over to the table and sat her down. “If you need me I’m going to be with Ashley, Riley, Brian, and Doctor J okay?”


“Kay.” He put her plate down in front of her, as well as her chocolate milk. He opened it for her and then walked off to go sit next to Ashley.


“So Bri, what time is the concert tonight?” Riley asked curiously after watching Nick join them at the table.


“7:30 and it ends 11:30.”


“Cool…Nick I heard you have a surprise for Dakota. What is it?” Doctor Johnson questioned.


“You’ll see…” Nick answered mysteriously, and Ashley looked at him smiling a little bit as she is still happy about his breakfast surprise for her.


“He is just full of surprises…isn’t he?” Doctor Johnson looked at Ashley with a raised eyebrow. That is the first time he’s heard her say a word before that wasn’t out of fear or anger.


“Yeah he is… that’s why all the kids love him.”


“Really? That’s why? Cause I thought it was just because of my charm and good looks.” Nick joked and he looked at all of his friends with a cocky grin. Brian suddenly pretended to choke on his breakfast and Riley just laughed.


“Riiight…” Nick narrowed his eyes at Brian and he grabbed a piece of his toast and threw it at him. Brian saw it coming and quickly moved out of the way causing it to just barely miss him and fly past his head.


“Hey! No throwing food Mr. Carter you’re going to set a bad example!” Riley lectured as she noticed several kids at the table next to them look their way and she had to stifle a laugh. “Don’t make me have to put you in time out mister! You know the rules.”


“He started it!” Nick replied and he pointed his finger accusingly at Brian. Brian’s jaw dropped as he looked at Nick in shock.


“I did no such thing!” he protested innocently.


“Do I have to put you both in the corner?” Riley threatened playfully and both Nick and Brian lowered their heads like two kids who had just been scolded.


“No ma’am,” they both replied in unison.


“Then you two had better behave yourselves. Fighting is not tolerated in Ramsey.” She told them sternly and she noticed the kids behind her go back to minding their own business. Doctor Johnson just chuckled.


“Next thing we know it you two are going to start a huge food fight in the cafeteria if you don’t be careful. You two are everything to those kids they do what you do.” Nick and Brian smirked and Riley just rolled her eyes while smiling and she shook her head.


“Yeah and the oh so wonderful Backstreet Boys will be the ones left to clean it up too.” The three of them were silent for a few minutes until suddenly a shrill scream interrupted their thoughts.


“STOP It! Leave me alone!” a familiar voice shouted and they recognized it as Dakota‘s. “NICKY HELP!” They all looked over at her just on time to see Josh spill his milk on her and another girl dropped her food on the floor. Dakota was now crying.


“Leave her alone!” Nick demanded, and he got up and rushed over to her. She held her arms out to him as she cries and he pulled her into his embrace and hugged her tightly. The whole room was silent and watching with confused looks on their faces and they had been ever since Dakota screamed. Nick soon had her calmed down and when he did he looked at Josh and the other kid just on time to see them trying to sneak away.


“Joshua Lee, stop it right there!” Nick demanded, his voice becoming very firm and all of the kids watched him in silence. No one has ever seen Nick get angry at all during the four years that he had worked there. He has really had enough of his angel getting picked on for no reason at all. Dakota rested her head against Nick’s shoulder as tears rolled down her cheek and Josh gulped as he turned around and looked at Nick innocently.


“Don’t you act all innocent with me I saw what you did. You and your friend come with me, Now.”


“NO!” Josh refused, and he crossed his arms over his chest and looked away stubbornly.


“Excuse me?”


“You heard me. I said no.”


“You can either come with me now, Josh, or we can do this in front of everybody. What will it be?” Josh looked around the cafeteria suddenly and he saw that everyone was looking at him. He then became very shy all of the sudden and he gulped again as he looked back at a very angry Nick.


“Well? Are you coming?” Josh nodded his head slowly and he began to follow Nick with his friend trailing behind him and Nick lead the two kids out into the lobby as he carried Dakota with him. He lead them into the nearby auditorium and shut the door behind him.


“The two of you go sit in one of the chairs in the front row.” He ordered calmly, but the anger still evident in his voice. Both children did as they were told as they know they’re in big trouble enough as it is and to disobey now would be suicidal. They walked down to the front row of chairs in the auditorium and Nick followed them as he held Dakota close to him. She sniffled and rested her head against his shoulder and he placed soft kisses on her forehead. When they were sitting down Nick pulled a nearby chair in front of them and sat down too. He sat there just thinking for a couple of minutes.


“Okay Josh…I am going to try once again to try and understand you. Why do you pick on her? I try so hard to figure it out. What is it that you have against Dakota? What could she have possibly done to make you want to treat her the way you do 24/7?” Josh angrily crossed his arms over his chest and he looked down at the ground.


“I suggest that you start talking to me. You’re already in enough trouble as it is and I am NOT going to let you get off easy this time. If you haven’t noticed I have very little patience for you this time.”


“NONE of your damn business Fagstreet Boy…just because everyone else in this building worships your every word and does exactly as you say it doesn’t mean I have to as well!”


“No, you’re right. You don’t have to worship every word I say and neither does anyone else around here. But you do have to do as I say and respect me just as you would to any other adult in this orphanage. And you had better knock off that foul language young man or we can add that to the list of all the other things you will be punished for.” Nick replied and Josh just glared at him. “Now, Are you going to explain to me why you like picking on Dakota or what?”


“What does it matter? You’re just going to punish me anyway so why don’t you just get it over with? She’s a spoiled little brat who always gets her way.”


“No, Dakota doesn’t get her way she just knows how to behave herself. I have never had to punish her once or raise my voice at her at all but if she ever did do anything wrong she would be in your place right now. So don’t you worry, she doesn’t get treated any different than any other child here.”


“Yeah whatever you’re a liar. I see the way you treat her and so does everyone else in this orphanage.”


“I am sorry that you’re feeling jealous of her buddy, but that still doesn’t give you or anyone else in this orphanage the right to treat her the way that you do. You don’t have to like her and you don’t have to be her friend…as much as she would love to have a friend since she is pretty lonely a lot of the time, I can’t force you or anyone else to do that. But you will learn to respect her like you would to anyone else in this building because I am through with letting you get away with it.”


“Whatever…punish me then so that we can get out of here and on with our lives.”


“Fine. For your punishment, as soon as everyone has gone off to play you and your friend will be helping me clean up the entire cafeteria. Once that is finished, you will go upstairs to your rooms and not come out until tonight when it’s time for the concert. Your only exception will be lunch and even then you will be sitting at a table with me. There will be no TV, no video games, no talking to any of your friends, and I will be removing all of your toys. During that time that you’re in your rooms you will write a two page paper on why it is wrong to disrespect people. Got it?” Josh and his friend nodded.


“All right then. Right now I want you two to march right on back into that cafeteria and you will clean up the mess you made of Dakota’s breakfast and fix her a new plate. Understand?” they nodded again.


“Good then go do that.” Both Josh and his friend got up and headed toward the door to the auditorium and Nick turned his attention on Dakota, the stern look on his face disappearing.


“Are you okay baby?” he asked her gently.


“No…” she answered and then began to cry all over again, as she had been trying very hard to hold it back this entire time. Nick held Dakota close to him and gently made her rest her head against his shoulder and he rubbed her back.


“It’s all right baby…calm down. They can’t pick on you and get away with it anymore I promise.” He whispered softly in her ear and she soon calmed down. When she did he got up and brought her out of the auditorium. “Come on sweetie…you can sit with me at my table.” When they were back in the cafeteria he brought her over to the table where Brian, Riley, Doctor Johnson, and Ashley still sat at. He sat down in his chair beside Ashley.


“Is everything okay?” Riley asked gently, looking at Dakota sympathetically.


“It is now…she’s just still a little upset but she’ll be okay.” Nick answered as he placed soft kisses on Dakota’s forehead and Dakota slid her arms around Nick’s neck and hugged him tight as a single tear rolled down her cheek.


“Did you punish Josh and Mackenzie?”


“Yeah, both of them will be helping me clean up the cafeteria as soon as everyone finishes with breakfast and has gone off to play. Then they will be going straight up to their rooms where they will stay until it’s time for the concert tonight. Their only exception will be lunch and even then they will be sitting with us. They will not be talking to any of their friends, and I will be removing every fun thing from their rooms until later tonight after the concert. Is that fair?”


“Yeah I think so. They deserve it. This bullying has got to stop.” Nick looked down at a still very upset Dakota and he noticed that her shirt is still wet from Josh pouring his milk on her.


“Here…lets take your wet shirt off sweetie, doesn’t that bother you?” Dakota nodded and he lifted her oversized t-shirt up and over her head so that she is now only wearing shorts and he once again hugged her tightly. She buried her face in his shoulder and once again wrapped her arms around his neck. After a few minutes had gone by, Mackenzie came back with a new tray of breakfast for Dakota and it had exactly what Dakota was eating earlier. Nick took it and placed it on the table and he looked at Mackenzie.


“Thank-you Mackenzie…now I suggest you go and get the last bit of socializing that you have left done and over with because it is going to be a long day for you and Josh.” Mackenzie didn’t say anything she only scowled and walked off. Dakota turned in Nick’s lap and began to eat her breakfast and Nick watched her for a couple of minutes just thinking about things, than he went back to eating as well.


~*~*~*~*~*~


Later on after breakfast, Nick supervised as Josh and Mackenzie cleaned up the cafeteria. They wiped down the tables and mopped the floors, and they helped Ms. Allen the cook bring all the food back into the kitchen. As they did this, Nick put the tables away and had them stack the chairs. When they were finished Nick looked over at Dakota and Ashley as they sit in the two chairs watching. Dakota now had a dry shirt on and was in a much better mood. Brian had cheered her up earlier with his imitations of Donald Duck and had her giggling uncontrollably.


“What do you guys think? Does the cafeteria look clean to you?” he asked, and both Josh and Mackenzie looked at them.


“Yeah I think so,” Ashley answered, and Nick, Josh, and Mackenzie looked at Dakota. Josh scowled as he is so sure Dakota will say no and make them work harder because of the way he treated her and she knows whatever she says goes when Nick is around.


“Yeah, it’s clean. They did a good job…” she answered softly and Josh raised his eyebrow at her.


“Okay then since this part of your punishment is done lets go upstairs to your rooms now.” Nick replied and he went over to Ashley. Since he is the only adult in there and he is in charge of her at the moment since Riley has other things to do he has to take her a long with him. He took her hand and gently helped her up from her chair and he wrapped a protective arm around her. When he did this he headed toward the door with Dakota at his heels and Josh and Mackenzie trailed behind them. He lead them up to the floor their rooms are on, which just happens to be the same floor Dakota and Ashley’s rooms are at. Josh is right across from Ashley and Mackenzie is down the hall a little bit. He made sure to get Mackenzie’s room number from Riley since he had just met her today. She’s new at the orphanage obviously.


“Mackenzie go to your room and I will be right there.” He told her and she did as he said walked off to her room sulking. Nick watched her as she went in her room, than he lead Josh into his bringing Ashley and Dakota a long. Josh sat on his bed and Nick began to pick up every fun thing in there and place them into a garbage bag.


“When will I be getting those back?” Josh whined.


“Tonight after the concert if you behave.” Nick answered, and he glanced at Ashley to make sure she is okay. She’s standing there holding onto the wall. Seeing that she is fine, he went back to what he was doing. When he finished picking up all of his toys and his x-box was the only thing left he went to the TV and began unplugging it.


“Don’t put my x-box in that bag it will break!” Josh demanded, but Nick could hear the begging in his voice.


“I know Josh, calm down. I have an x-box myself and know how to take care of it.” Nick reassured him. When he had the system unplugged he looked at Dakota.


“Can you hold this for me please sweetie?” she nodded and took the x-box from him and he handed her the controllers and games as well. He then unplugged the TV too so that he can’t watch TV at all during his punishment either. When he was sure that the room was completely fun free he looked at a miserable Josh.


“Get some paper and a pen out.” Josh did as he’s told and he got out a few sheets of paper and a pen.


“Remember that two page paper on why you don’t disrespect people is due tonight before the concert. No exceptions. So I suggest you get working on that. I will be in and out during the day to check on you so I suggest you stay in this room. Any questions?” Josh shook his head.


“Alright then” He replied, and he went and wrapped his arm around Ashley and he again began to lead her out of the room with the bag of toys in is other hand and Dakota followed behind him carrying the x-box being sure to be careful. Nick brought them into his and Dakota’s room and he put the bag and x-box high up in his closet where they can’t be reached. After doing this he took Ashley’s hand and brought her over to his and Dakota’s bed and he sat her down. Dakota hopped up onto the bed next to her.


“You two stay in here real quick. I will be right back after talking to Mackenzie. Okay?” Ashley and Dakota nodded and Nick walked off to Mackenzie’s room where he did the same thing he did to Josh. When he finished he brought her toys in here and placed them up in the closet too and he looked at Dakota and Ashley.


“Alright Dakota, are you ready to play detectives?” he asked, after closing his door so he isn’t over heard.


“Yeah!”


“Where are all of your walkie-talkies?” Dakota crawled off the bed and went to her toy box and she pulled out the rest of her walkie talkies. There are three more left. Riley has the one Nick had earlier, and Brian has the one he had left in Ashley’s room earlier. She brought them to him and he took two of them and handed her one.


“Keep that for you in case you need it. You can contact either myself, Riley, Brian, or AJ when he gets here. We all four will have a walkie talkie. Brian, AJ, and I will be in the auditorium getting ready for the concert and I will have Ashley in there with me as well.”


“Where is Doctor Adams?”


“I don’t know…hold on.” He replied, and he turned on his walkie-talkie and spoke into it.


“Hey Riley…can you hear me?” he asked. He waited a couple of seconds, and then she suddenly replied.


“Yeah Nick…what’s up?”


“Are you alone?”


“No I have Brian here with me… why?”


“Where is Doctor Adams?”


“He’s over at the hospital. I don’t know what room or what he’s doing though.”


“Okay thanks,” he told her and then looked at Dakota.


“He is in the hospital but like she said she doesn’t know where. So you will have to look for him. Will you be okay?”


“Yeah,” Dakota replied, and she turned her walkie talkie on and attached it to her pants before going into the walk in closet. He followed her in there curiously as he again has his arm wrapped around Ashley and she climbed up onto the dresser and stood up. She then reached up and grabbed a handle and she pulled down a little secret passage way. Nick raised his eyebrow at her and looked very impressed.


“Where does this lead honey?”


“Everywhere. They’re the air vents. I go in and out of them all the time and watch peoples when I‘m bored.” Nick again raised his eyebrow.


“Nothing too personal I hope.”


“Nuh-uhs”


“…Okay I hope not,” Nick laughed. He watched her as she pulled herself up into the air vent and closed it behind her and she crawled off. Nick looked at Ashley as she stood there next to him, her arm wrapped around his waist and her head rested against his shoulder.


“I really hope she doesn’t get caught,” he told her.


“I’m sure she won’t… Kota is a smart kid she knows her way around this building pretty well.” Ashley reassured him.


“Yeah, you’re right. Well it’s about time I get down to the auditorium… the other guys should be getting here soon. Shall we go down there?” Ashley nodded and he lifted her so that he is cradling her. She slid her arms around his neck and rested her head against his shoulder and he brought her out in the hall. He went down to Mackenzie’s room and opened the door slightly. He peeked in and saw her sitting at her desk where he left her and she is just sitting there staring at her papers. Nick closed the door again and walked back down to Josh’s room and he checked on him. He found him lying in bed with his head hanging over it upside down and he’s just staring up at the ceiling. Nick rolled his eyes and closed his door before walking off to the elevator.


“I really hope he gets moving on that paper. I would hate for him to have to lose his toys for an extra day…”


“Yeah…”


“I wasn’t too hard on them was I? That was my first time having to punish a child here… I don’t think they’ve ever even seen me raise my voice before.”


“I think you were fair. Like Riley says the bullying needs to stop… and I have only been here for a short time, but from hearing all the stories from Kota and seeing some of the things they’ve done to her they’re pretty horrible towards her. None of yours or Riley’s lectures seemed to faze them so something had to be done. You did the right thing…and maybe it was a good thing that the entire orphanage saw you angry. Maybe this will open their eyes and make them see that they can’t get away with this stuff.”


“Yeah…I hope so because I really don’t like being the bad guy. I think I understand Josh a little more now though…he picks on her because he’s jealous. I never really saw that coming. Do you think I treat Dakota different then the other kids?”



“Well it’s very obvious that she is very special to you…to be honest it’s like watching a father with his daughter when watching the two of you. I can see how they could feel jealous. Dakota has had you since she was just three days old and ever since then you’ve basically been like a father figure to her in a way…and none of the other kids have that. Maybe that’s why they dislike her so much.”


“I never really noticed that…my relationship with Kota comes very natural to me. It’s like the whole world disappears around me when I’m with her. She’s my pride and joy…”


“I know I can see that. And so can everyone else around you. So my questions is this Nick…why haven’t you adopted her yet?”


“Well when I brought her here I was only 16 years old. I was nowhere near ready to be a father so I had to take care of her here.”


“I know that but you’re 20 years old now. You’re an adult…and from the looks of it you’re very ready. So why haven’t you done it yet?”


“I don’t know…I guess it’s just because of the whole Backstreet Boys thing…and all of the traveling that I do. That’s no life for a four year old is it? I want her childhood to be as normal as possible...and I’m still so young I just don’t think I’m ready to take on such a big responsibility yet. I’m still comfortable with having the orphanage to lean on.”


“Oh…” Ashley replied, as she understands what he means. But she’s also a little scared for him too. Dakota is so cute and adorable… how long is it going to be before someone else notices her and wants to adopt her? When Nick and Ashley got down to the lobby, he brought her into the auditorium where Riley, Brian, and the rest of his band mates are at.