- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Seventy One


"So Aje, where are you going to take Brooke for your first date?" Nick questioned, grinning at AJ widely.


"I have no idea. I was beginning to lose all hope of even winning the bet seeing as how in two more weeks and this month will be over. So I haven't made any plans yet. I want it to be special though. I must win her heart."


"Oh you're going to do more then that," Ashley spoke up. "Your going to sweep her off her feet." AJ looked at Ashley suddenly very amused as did everybody else.


"Oh? And just how do you know this?"


"Well for one…you're AJ McLean. You've got the charm - duh." Ashley started. "And two…I just believe in you," She added, shrugging her shoulders.


"Aww…thanks sweetie," AJ replied, smiling a little. He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her into a hug. "I believe in you too."


"Really? What do I need believing in for?" Ashley asked self-consciously. "I'm not that important." Nick rolled his eyes then.


"You know baby, sometimes I wish you were conceited." Ashley raised her eyebrow at him. "Okay, okay, no I don't…I love you the way you're." He admitted. "I've had too much experience with conceited girlfriends in the past, you're perfect the way you're. Though I wish you weren't so hard on yourself."


"Of course you're special," AJ spoke up again. "And of course I believe in you. I believe that you're going to get through this whole Sean bullshit and then you will be free…and happy."


"Amen to that," Kevin agreed, and Nick wrapped his arms around her also and kissed her forehead. AJ and Kevin went back to helping Howie, Riley, and Doctor Johnson with tables again. By the time Brian had come back with Josh he set him down on the ground so that he could go play with Dakota and Elenore who both tackled him with hugs, though Elenore reminded Dakota to be extra careful cause she knows Josh is still sore.


"Where is Brooke?" AJ asked, a little disappointed when she hadn't come back. Brian shrugged.


"In her office. She said she had a lot of stuff to do." Riley snorted.


"A lot of stuff to do my ass." Brian looked at his girlfriend curiously.


"Why do you say that?"


"Cause she's avoiding AJ."


"Why?"


"Because the two of them made a bet on you." Brian rounded on AJ then.


"OH really AJ?! And what may I ask was this bet?" He asked, placing his hands on his hips and narrowing his eyes at the younger man. AJ just smirked.


"Just over you adopting Josh. I said by the end of this month and she said by the end of next month. I won and now she has to go out with me."


"What would happen if you didn't win?" Brian asked, suddenly amused.


"I would've had to shave my head." Brian burst out into laughter then.


"Hahaha….that would've been a sight." AJ scowled.


"Yes well, It's just a very good thing you won that's all I have to say."


"Oh yeah…" AJ agreed.


"So where are you taking her?"


"No idea yet…" By the time they finished setting up the cafeteria it was time to let the kids in so they did. Nick picked Sarah and Dakota up and walked off with them to make their plates and Ashley followed close behind. Kori came in then with Spencer and she walked over to the island to make their plates.


"Hey Nick, hey Ash." She greeted.


"Hey," Nick replied, grinning at her.


"Hi," Ashley replied, not even looking up at her. Kori eyed her for a few moments.


"Okay, what's your problem with me now?"


"No problem," Ashley replied, looking up at Kori and smiling and just to prove it she pulled her into a short hug. "Good morning sis," she greeted, then she looked back down at the food and her plate and she moved a long. Kori rolled her eyes, grabbed up two plates and began to fix hers and Spencer's breakfast. When Ashley had walked off with her breakfast, Kori looked at Nick giving him a questioning look.


"I don't know," Nick answered, shrugging his shoulders. "Though she was a little annoyed that you were out so late last night."


"What….is she suddenly my mother now?" Kori asked annoyed. Nick shrugged.


"Don't kill me, I'm just the messenger." He replied, then he too walked off holding his plate while Sarah and Dakota held their own. Kori growled before handing Spencer his and grabbing up her own and following after them. When she got to the table she set Spencer down in one chair and she went and sat on the opposite side of the table that Ashley is sitting on, casting annoyed glares her way. Ashley shot them right back from where she was sitting and everybody looked at them curiously but didn't say anything. They're quite used to the sister rivalry by now. When everybody finished their breakfast, the guys and Riley, Ashley, and Kori took the kids out onto the playground. When they got out there Josh noticed Chris over by the play structure playing with a couple of other boys. He took off over there after grabbing Elenore's hand and she took Dakota's and the puppies chased after them. When they got over there Josh immediately let go of Elenore's hand before Chris had the time to notice.


"Hey Chris!"


"Hey Josh, it's good to see your okay. How come you didn't come and see me when you got back yesterday?"


"I didn't know where you were," Josh answered, shrugging his shoulders. "How come you didn't come find me?"


"I didn't know you were back until this morning when I saw you in the cafeteria…kids told me you were hanging out with Dakota and Elenore in the playroom."


"Yeah because Brian was in there."


"Speaking of Brian…is it true that he adopted you this morning?"


"Yeah…how'd you know that?"


"Word gets around fast…and I'm your best friend. I would've thought that, that would be something I would be first to hear about."


"I haven't told anyone else…I was planning to tell you first thing when I saw you but I guess you heard it from someone else before I could."


"How come Dakota and Elenore got to know first? Are they your new best friends now?"


"Kota and Ellie were there when it happened. Besides, Kota is Nick's daughter and Kevin is Ellie's caregiver. They would've found out eventually even if they weren't there." Chris eyed him for a few moments.


"Okay…fine. Whatever. Do you want to play hide n seek? We were just getting ready to play."


"Sure!" Josh agreed, being happy that the uncomfortable conversation they were having was going to end.


"Kay, come on." Rick, one of the other boys that is standing there next to Chris replied, and he, Chris, and Troy headed toward a tree to discuss who is going to be it and Josh, Dakota, and Elenore followed. When they got over there Chris looked at Elenore and Dakota with a raised eyebrow. He looked at Josh then.


"What are they suddenly your shadows?" Josh shrugged.


"They want to play too. What's wrong with that?"


"And your okay with that?" Chris asked, looking at his best friend in bewilderment. "Just yesterday you would've done ANYTHING to make sure they don'ts play withs us."


"Well things change…they aren't as bad as I thought."


"What is wrong with you?" Chris asked, suddenly very annoyed. He's not used to Josh being this way and he doesn't like it. Plus, he is still pissed off that he had to find out about Brian adopting him by rumors instead of his best friend.


"Nothing is wrong with me…it's just that a lot of stuff has happened with me and Ellie while we were kidnapped….it changed us."


"Yeah well I would prefer my old best friend, please. You've been spending too much time with them. Why can't I have you to myself for once now that you aren't handcuffed to that spoiled little brat now?" That was it. Hearing Chris call Elenore that sent Josh over the edge. All patience that he had for his best friend has all gone out the window and his protective side was now ready to lash out.


"She is NOT a spoiled brat, don't you DARE call her that!" He shouted at him.


"Why can't I call her that, Josh? Isn't that what you were calling her yesterday morning? Weren't you complaining about how much you hated her? And now you're defending her?"


"I told you," Josh started with clinched teeth and he slid his hand into Elenore's and squeezed it gently. "Things change."


"Yeah well change back, RIGHT now! I want my old best friend!"


"This is the way I am now Chris. You can take it or leave it. I am not going to change. Ellie and Dakota are my friends now too. So you will be seeing a lot of them from now on. Either they be allowed to play hide n seek too, or I'm not playing!"


"Fine then. DON'T play! And don't even bother being my friend anymore EITHER. I can't be friends with someone who will choose spoiled little brats over me!"


"THAT'S not fair, Josh is your best friend! You mean a lot to him!" Elenore suddenly spoke up and she glared at Chris.


"Well apparently he has a new friend now. Miss I have an opinion about everything. Are you going to go and cry to Kevin because I'm being mean to him? Are you going to go and tattle like you always do?" Chris asked, suddenly towering over Elenore so that he is in her face and he glared at her. She glared back, ready to punch him if he should say the wrong thing. Josh however, was growing even angrier by the minute. So angry that he is almost to the point where he can't control himself. He squeezed Elenore's hand once again and he pulled her back from Chris.


"Ellie stay back," He told her gently and he moved in front of her so that he was standing in between her and Chris.


"YOU take those things you just called her back RIGHT now Chris!"


"Make me!" Chris challenged.


"I wouldn't challenge me Christopher, because you know very well that I will make you if I have to!"


"You wouldn't dare! You wouldn't dare fight me over some stupid little girl!"


"Try me," Josh replied, stepping forward some and he shoved Chris back a little bit. "Go ahead and try me!" Chris shoved him in return.


"Josh stop it! Please," Elenore begged, not wanting him to get into trouble for fighting.


"I will when that girl happens to be my future cousin!" Josh replied, ignoring Elenore's pleas and not removing his eyes from Chris.


"She's NOT yer future cousin! Kevin will never adopt her! You saw how he tried to run!" Chris yelled.


"He will so!" Josh argued.


"No, he will NOT! Because anyone who tries to run doesn't really care about you - even if they do come back!" Chris stated. "He only came back 'cause he knew if Ellie got hit by a car, it'd be HIS fault and he'd go to jail for it!" Elenore started to cry, as she didn't want Kevy to hate her or go to jail and all those mean things Chris was saying. He used to be the semi-nice one. Seeing Elenore cry sent Josh into a rage then. He dove toward Chris shoving him back against the tree.


"TAKE THAT BACK, NOW!" He yelled.


"NO!" Chris shouted back, and he shoved Josh off of him and pushed him to the ground and he dove on top of him and the two boys began to wrestle each other, rolling around on the ground and throw punches at each other. Elenore having quite enough, turned and ran crying to the adults.


"Ellie!" Dakota called after her worriedly, and she turned and ran after her.


"KEVYYYYYYYYY!" She wailed. Kevin, Brian, AJ, Howie, Nick, and Riley all whirled around to see Elenore come running toward them and they then noticed the fight going on over by the tree and kids starting to crowd around to watch.


"Oh crap…" Brian muttered, and he took off running over there, as did Riley. Kevin crouched down and held his arms open for Elenore just on time for her to come flying into them. She threw her arms around his neck, buried her face in his shoulder and she cried hysterically as he gently rubbed her back. When Brian and Riley got over there they pushed past the kids and Brian grabbed Josh as Riley took Chris. Josh yelped in surprise as Brian forgot to be careful when grabbing him and his bruised body ached.


"What in the world is going on here?! I know it's nothing new to see you fighting with someone Joshua, but with Chris? Your best friend?"


"He is NOT my best friend!" Josh shouted.


"And he is not MY best friend either!" Chris stated. "He's a traitor. He's found himself a new best friend! He doesn't have anymore time for ME anymore! He couldn't even tell me about you adopting him, I had to find out by RUMORS!"


"He said horrible things about Ellie! I HAD to protects her I HAD to, Brian!" Brian groaned and looked at Riley.


"I'm taking Josh somewhere to talk to him alone so I can figure out what's going on."


"Kay, and I'll talk to Chris," Riley replied. Brian stood up with Josh and he went over to another tree to talk to him.


"Ellie what happened baby? What's wrong?" Kevin asked gently.


"Chris saids mean an' horrible things about me an' Joshy beateds him up for it. He tells me that you don'ts really care about me because you tried to leave me an' when someone tries to leave me it means they don't really care about me ats all - even if they come back. He said you only came back because you didn't's want me to get hit by a car because then you'd have to go to jail." Elenore explained tearfully. Kevin sighed and AJ, Nick, and Howie stood there in shock that Chris would say such horrible things. They all thought Chris was the semi-nice one. Kevin sat down on the ground making Elenore stand in front of him and he took her hands into his.


"Look at me honey," He told her softly and Elenore looked into his eyes as tears slipped from her own watery ones.


"None of those things are true. I ran off because of me…not you. I was upset and I was angry with myself for not protecting you better… and I wasn't thinking clearly. I came back because I couldn't bear to hurt you like that. When I saw you sitting in the middle of the road and crying like that it broke my heart. I didn't want to make you cry, I didn't want to hurt you. I love you so much Ellie…and I'm never ever going to stop. You're very special to me," Kevin told her sincerely. "I'm bound to you…and I have been ever since you stepped foot inside this Orphanage, ever since I first laid eyes on you in the lobby…" he added.


"What does bound mean?" Elenore sniffled.


"It means I couldn't leave you even if I wanted to," Kevin explained and he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into hug. She wrapped her arms around him in return and rested her head against his shoulder and he kissed her forehead softly. "I love you so much Ellie…"


"I loves you too Kevy…" She told him softly. After a long while she looked at Dakota who was standing there holding onto Nick's pantleg.


"Are you okay Ellie?"


"Kind of…" Elenore answered softly and Dakota held her arms out to her for a hug. Elenore pulled away from Kevin and walked into Dakota's open arms and she hugged her tightly. Elenore wrapped her arms around her in return and rested her head against her shoulder and she closed her eyes. No matter how close she is to Josh now, no matter how good it feels having Josh protect her, nothing will ever compare to the way her best friend holds her when she falls apart. Suddenly Brian came back with Josh and Kevin, Howie, AJ, Nick, Ashley, and Kori looked at him curiously.


"Everything okay?"


"Yeah…fine…except Josh and Chris need a little time apart to cool down. Chris is having a hard time adjusting to the new Josh." Brian explained.


"Ooh, I see." Howie replied.


"But he'll come around Josh, I promise. He's a good friend…he really does care about you. He's just like you though…he says things he doesn't mean when he is angry and upset." Brian explained. Josh didn't reply, he only slid his arms around Brian's neck and rested his head against his shoulder and Brian kissed his forehead softly as he hugged him close to him. Josh is starting to really get used to Brian's hugs and kisses. They all stood there in silence for a few minutes as they watched Riley talk to Chris and his friends on the other side of the playground, then suddenly Doctor Johnson came out.


"Hey Kori?"


"Yeah?" Kori asked, turning and looking at him curiously, as did everyone else.


"There is a guy in the lobby that wants to see you."