- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
It was co-written with Lenni.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Ninety-Eight

In Wiley's Van

Everyone was enjoying the drive, as they rode along in mostly silence except for murmurs from Nick and Ashley, and the girls giggling as they babbled and colored and played games. Though, it seemed not too long after Kevin had settled back with his book, while Wiley drove, that Elenore got a bright idea.


"Hey, let's sing a song!" She exclaimed excitedly. Dakota nodded her agreement, hoping it'd just be her and Ellie singing, as Sarah hadn't been invited to join in - least, not technically.


"What song?" Dakota asked curiously, liking the idea immensely - she loved to sing silly songs.


"Down by the bay!" Ellie giggled. "I'll start!"


"Down by the bay," Ellie began.


"Down by the bay," Dakota repeated.


"Where the watermelon grow," Ellie continued.


"Where the watermelon grow," Dakota smiled.


"Backs to my home," Ellie went on.


"Backs to my home," Kota giggled.


"I dares nots go," Ellie sang.


"I dare nots go," Kota added.


"For ifs I do," Ellie grinned, dancing a little.


"For ifs I do," Kota chorused.


"My Kevy woulds say," Ellie giggled now. Dakota giggled as well.


"Her Kevy woulds say."


"Dids you ever see a bear in Backstreet's underwear! Down by the bay!" Ellie shouted out. Dakota took over next.


"Down by the bay."


"Down by the bay."


"Where the watermelon grow," Dakota sang.


"Where the watermelon grow."


"Backs to my home." Dakota waved her arms about as if directing the whole thing.


"Backs to my home."


"I dare nots go," Dakota shook her head.


"I dare nots go!"


"For ifs I do...." Dakota squealed.


"For ifs I do...."


"My Daddy woulds say...."


"Her Daddy woulds say.........."


"Did you evers see Howie surfin' in Maui?" Dakota laughed. Kevin chuckled, as that did sound pretty damn funny to him as well. He tuned them out again, though they continued on with the song. After a while though, it was starting to grate on his nerves, as well as everyone else's.


"Girls, why don't you sing something else for a while?" He suggested. "Or maybe you should just colour nicely and quietly for a bit?" Ellie jutted her chin in the air, and continued on with her part of the song.


"Dids you ever sees Nick, wearin' lipsticks?" Kori smirked hearing that.


"I'm sure he has at some point in his career."


"Shaddup," Nick mumbled from the backseat, where he was busy murmuring sweet nothings to Ashley and kissing her whenever he felt like it - their hands interlocked tightly in their laps.


"Hey, hey!" Kevin exclaimed, whacking Nick. "Not while there's impressionable kids in the car!" Nick yelped and swatted back.


"It's not like they can see us Kev! They can't turn around in those seats of theirs! And they're too short anyway!"


"Well, whatever. I don't wanna see it!" Kevin stated.


"Then go back to your book, old man," Nick retorted.


"Kind of hard to do, when we have the sewer sisters sing-a-long right here with us," Kevin replied dryly. Ashley giggled a little bit and leaned forward, her arms rested on the back of the kids' seat.


"Ya know Kev, I love you with all of my heart, but you really need to lighten up just a little bit," she informed him.


"I was just stating the truth. It's hard to read a book when you've got two kids singing in your ear."


"So why do you even try? They're kids, did you really expect them to be quiet the entire ride to Kentucky while you read a book?" Nick asked as he was still lounging on the seat behind Ashley. He placed his hand to her back and gently rubbed it. "If that's the case then you really have a lot to learn about parenting, bro."


"I do not! I took care of four Backstreet Boys for eight years haven't I?"


"Yes but we weren't little kids and you could just walk away from us when you got sick of us."


"I take care of Ellie just fine, thank-you very much."


"I know you do, you are amazing with her and you are amazing with Kota too but if you think they're going to be quiet the whole way to Kentucky just because you want them to, then you're crazy."


"Not the whole way to Kentucky, just for a little while…is that really too much to ask for?" Nick saw the stressed and tired look on Kevin's face and suddenly took pity on him. He knows he was up really late last night dealing with Ellie's tantrums and packing, and then he woke up early in the morning — probably earlier then he did and he's the reason this trip is running so smoothly. Nick sat up then and moved so that he was next to Ashley and he leaned over the seat so that he is between Dakota and Elenore.


"Hey Munchkins I have a game for you." Suddenly the two girls stopped singing and they turned their head and looked at Nick curiously. A game he says? They like games.


"What game daddy?"


"Lets play the quiet game. Have you ever played that one before?" Both girls shook their heads.


"Well its really easy and we're going to play for prizes. I know you two like getting prizes. Right?"


"Uh-huhs!" Dakota and Elenore both nodded their heads eagerly.


"That's what I thought," Nick replied, grinning widely. He noticed Sarah looking up at him with a curious expression on her face. The game was meant for Dakota and Elenore because she is already the quietest, but he wouldn't be able to leave her out on the prize giving. "Okay, so the object of the game is to see who can be the quietest. If you two are quiet until Kevin closes his book and isn't reading anymore, then you will each get a prize. The one who talks before then will have to watch their best friend receive a prize while you don't. Neither of you girls want that do you?" Dakota and Elenore shook their heads.


"Then I suggest the two of you be very quiet. Are there any questions before we start?"


"What ifs we have to says something before Kevy finishes reading? What ifs it's important? Like what ifs we have to go potty?"


"Then you can write it down and pass it back to me. But there is absolutely no talking allowed. Deal?"


"Yes daddy." Nick looked at Elenore again and she nodded.


"Deals."


"Okie dokie, the game starts right…" Nick looked down at his watch. "Now!" Dakota and Elenore each pretended to zip up their lips and throw out the key, and then they picked up a crayon and continued to color in their coloring books. Nick looked at Kevin grinning in satisfaction.


"And that's how it's done, old man." He told him. Kevin didn't reply, he only thanked Nick with his eyes before turning his attention back down at his book and he began to read again. Nick bent over the seat then, and he whispered into Sarah's ear. "Don't worry sweetie. You'll get a prize too." Sarah smiled up at him and he kissed her cheek. When he pulled away from her he looked at Dakota and noticed that she was watching him in the corner of her eye. He leaned over and kissed her cheek too and even wrapped his arms around her and hugged her — and to make her feel even more special, he whispered into her ear too. "Daddy loves you very much." Even though that's not much of a secret it's still something Dakota needed to hear from him. She smiled up at him too, and then went back to coloring. Nick ruffled Elenore's hair and he kissed her cheek too and flashed her his heart melting smile, before sitting back in his seat and pulling Ashley near and since he is on a roll, he kissed her cheek as well. Wiley who had been watching Nick in the rear view mirror chuckled.


"What…are you gonna kiss every girl in this car on the cheek, Nick?"


"Nope, I'm done now. Besides, the only girl left is Kori and I don't think she'd let me kiss her on the cheek."


"I don't think I would either," Wiley teased. Kori blushed in the front seat being thankful that nobody but Wiley could see her — but even he didn't get a chance, because she turned and looked out the window. He did however notice her smile.


Wiley remembered Ashley then and how sensitive she is about him and her sister and he looked in the rearview mirror and back at her and Nick again. Nick was grinning but Ashley however, was looking back at Wiley — their eyes connected in the rearview mirror and he noticed the protective look in her eyes. Ashley looked away from him and out the window. She scooted close to the window, and placed her elbow on the side of it and rested her chin in the palm of her hand as she thought about what Wiley had said. She knows they aren't dating — Kori swore up and down that they weren't. But it's pretty obvious that he does want to.


It's also pretty obvious that she does as well. She promised Kori she would give him a chance. He's a good guy…he's a good guy Ashley told herself in her head. I must give him a chance… Nick who had noticed the battle going on in Ashley's head with just one look into her eyes, scooted closer to her and he slid his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder. She looked at him for a short moment, then back out the window again and he leaned down and kissed the side of her neck softly. Wiley continued to watch the scene through the rearview mirror while also concentrating on the driving as well. why did I have to go and say that? he screamed at himself inside his head.


Now I've probably upset her and lost the only chance I have of getting any form of trust from her Yes he loves Kori and he's loved her since the day he met her. But he knows he has to get her sister's blessing before he can be with her. He knows how important that is to Kori. If only he could prove to Ashley that he really is a good guy. Everybody was silent for a long while — the kids playing their silent game, Kevin reading his book, Kori looking out the window with a big smile on her face, and Wiley driving and contemplating on how to win Ashley's blessing. After awhile, they ended up stuck at a red light with a bunch of cars surrounding them. As Nick and Ashley were looking out the window, they noticed in the car next to them that there was mom, a father, and two children in the backseat.


One of the kids is a girl who looks like she is about thirteen years old and she is staring out her window. When Nick and Ashley realized that she was looking at them, Nick quickly scooted so he was at a decent distance from her, though he didn't let go of her hand. The girl in the next car recognized them almost immediately and her eyes went very big. They watched as she got her parent's and her brother's attention and point excitedly at Nick and Ashley. Nick could imagine exactly what she's saying — he doesn't even need to hear her because he's heard it all before. Oh my god look!!! It's Nick Carter!!! Ashley giggled a little bit, and Nick flashed the fan his famous heart warming smile as he waved to her. He chuckled as the girl swooned.


"What's so funny?" Kevin asked curiously, and he looked up from his book though he didn't close it because then that would be a signal for Elenore and Dakota to start talking again.


"A little girl in the next car noticed us," Nick answered, tearing his gaze from the fan and looking at Kevin. Kevin chuckled.


"Oh yeah? How old is she?"


"Thirteen. She's going crazy and I think I just made it worse by waving and smiling at her." Kori who took off her seat belt and turned around in her seat looked back at the car Nick was talking about and she laughed.


"Oh yeah…she's going to be driving her parents and that little boy nuts. I hope they aren't going on a long trip." Kevin scooted over in his seat and moved so that he could see just exactly what they were talking about and at the sight of the eldest Backstreet Boy the little girl's eyes went very round and she went even more hysterical and started pointing at him too. Kevin laughed.


"I think we need a bathroom break right about now Wi. This little girl is going to die if we don't stop and say hello."


"Kay, there's a rest stop up ahead. I'll stop there," Wiley replied. Kevin nodded and Nick opened up his window and peeked his head out. He motioned for the little girl to roll down her window. She did just that.


"Hi there," he told her with a big grin on his face.


"Oh my god…oh my god…" was all she could say as she had gone into complete shock. A Backstreet Boy is talking to her! Nick Carter is actually talking to her!


"Would you like an autograph? And a picture with me and the rest of the boys?" The little girl nodded quietly and slowly, her eyes still big and round.


"Well there is a rest stop up ahead. Ask your parents if they will stop there and we will meet you there."


"O-okay…" she managed to choke out. Nick grinned at her and closed his window, and she rolled hers back up. Nick watched as she turned to her parents and immediately went from very quiet and shy to screaming hysterically like before. He could tell exactly what she was saying by reading her lips. Daddy you just have to stop!!! They want to meet me!!! I must meet them!!! Kevin who had gotten on his cell phone to include Howie in on the plan finally got through.


"Yo D, we're stopping at the rest stop up ahead. A little girl recognized Nick and went absolutely hysterical. I have a feeling if we don't stop, she'll be driving her parents nuts."


"We know, we're right behind you and was watching the whole thing. If you didn't decide to stop we would." When the traffic finally let up, Wiley drove toward the rest stop and just as they all hoped, they saw the car with the hysterical fan following behind them. When they arrived at the rest stop, Wiley parked the van and Howie parked next to them, then they all got out of their cars — security included. They also saw the fan's reaction to Nick. There probably isn't anyone who didn't. The little girl almost didn't even wait for her father to park the car but her father reminded her. When he finally did, she threw open her door and went running toward the nearest Backstreet boy — AJ.


"OH MY GOD!! OH MY GOD!!!" She shrieked, and flew herself into his arms. AJ laughed and wrapped his arms around her too and gave her a warm hug and the moment she did she burst into tears. AJ who is completely used to fans who become so hysterical that they start crying just kept on smiling as he hugged her close.


"Hi there sweetheart…what's your name, huh?"


"I…Um…I…" was all she could say, as she tried her hardest to calm down and think of what to say back. AJ lead her over to a bench and sat down with her and Nick, Brian, Howie, and Kevin followed and so did her parents and little brother. AJ looked at them for an answer, as he knows he isn't going to get one out of her just yet.


"Rochelle. Her name is Rochelle," her mother answered smiling a little. She knows right now her daughter's biggest dream is coming true. She is going to be talking about this for months if not more. AJ looked down at Rochelle and he smiled at her warmly as he raked his fingers through her long brown hair.


"Well hi there Rochelle. That is such a lovely name," he told her sweetly. Rochelle who was finally beginning to calm down and was just sniffling now, smiled at him shyly and he noticed her beginning to blush.


"Thank-you…" She told him softly — so soft, that it was almost a whisper.


"Are you and your family on vacation?" Nick suddenly spoke up, and the little girl looked at him for the first time — as well as the rest of the boys.



"Y-yes," She was able to choke out. "We're going to Ohio…to visit family for thanksgiving."



"Wow what a coincidence. We are all on our way to visit family for thanksgiving also," Brian spoke up. "But we're headed for Kentucky."



"Yours and Kevin's family right?" the little girl questioned, slowly starting to feel comfortable around them.



"Yup that's right. Aunt Jackie and Uncle Harold have invited everybody for a big Thanksgiving party."



"That was nice of them," Rochelle smiled. Brian grinned.



"So it's not every day that a fan recognizes us from another car and then gets us to stop at a rest stop for them. How about an autograph and a picture to take with you as proof?" Howie suggested.



"Okay," she replied, and AJ took her hand and stood up before pulling her up with him and he and the rest of the boys gathered around her and her mother who already had her camera at the ready began to take a few pictures. She got two pictures of her with the whole group, then the boys insisted upon her having pictures of her with them individually, so her mother took two of each. Rochelle even insisted upon having her picture taken with Ashley and the kids. Elenore and Dakota were happy about that. Nick had told them that the "quiet" game was on pause. They're allowed to talk until they get back in the car. When they finished, Kevin came back from one of the vans with his bag. He opened it up and she looked at him curiously and watched as he pulled out a photo of the group. He and the boys took turns autographing it for her, then they handed it to her and she looked as if she could start crying again as she looked at the picture.


"Thank-you so much…this means so much to me you have no idea."


"Hey, it was our pleasure," Kevin replied, and she went around and began hugging each of them and they hugged her back. Howie looked over at her little brother then and he smiled at him. The little boy who looks about four stayed real close to his mom and looked very shy.


"Hi there little guy…what's your name?" he asked, crouching down to talk to him.


"Brice," he answered shyly. Howie grinned.


"Well it's very nice to meet you Brice. Would you like an autographed photo also?" Brice nodded eagerly, and Howie looked back at Kevin. Kevin pulled another photo out of his bag and they each signed that as well and then Howie handed it to Brice. Brice looked at the photo in awe for a moment, then he threw his arms around Howie and hugged him. Howie chuckled, and hugged him back. "Your such a cute little boy. How about we take pictures with you too? Its not fair that your sister should get all the attention." Brice beamed and looked up at his mother.


"Momma please?"


"Of course sweetie," she replied, smiling back and ruffling his hair. Howie grinned and gently moved Brice so he is standing in front of him, and he placed his hands gently on his shoulders. The rest of the guys scooted in for the picture also, and then when the lady was done taking pictures of Brice with the group the rest of the guys scooted away and then Brice looked up at Howie who remained where he was.


"Now one of justs us. Please?"


"Of course buddy," Howie grinned, and Brice looked back at the camera as his mother snapped the photos. When they were finished paying the same amount of attention to Brice as they did with Rochelle, their parents began to hint that it's time to go.


"Well thanks for stopping and talking to them," Their father spoke up, a grin on his face.


"Like I said, it was our pleasure," Kevin repeated. "Thanks for letting us."


"Rochelle is such a huge fan as you probably can already tell. She went absolutely crazy at the sight of Nick. I knew if we didn't stop we wouldn't hear the end of it." Their father replied, wrapping an arm around Rochelle and hugging her close. Rochelle who hadn't stopped smiling since she stopped crying, smiled even bigger and hugged her father back. They hung around and talked for a few minutes more, then when they got back in their car and drove off, Brian, Howie, AJ, and Nick — and everybody else looked at Kevin immediately for instructions, as that has become habit since the trip had begun.


"Alright so bathroom breaks…and maybe we can get the kids some soda and snacks from the machines, then we will be on our way again. Deal?"


"Agreed," Brian replied, and everybody started going their separate ways, doing what they want to do before they go. Marcus and Laney being sure to stay very close to Ashley.