- Text Size +

“Hey I want you to hear this.” He called out to me. He walked into the living room putting in a cd as I stood against the kitchen counter watching him. He put on kind of a slow song.

*She's just like a storm  She's running on the waves, washing up on the shore  She's coming out of thin air (she's coming out of thin air)
She blew in like the wind Became more than just a friend*

He walked over to me and placed his hands on my face as he sang along to the song.

*And now I just can't wait to see her face again That girl so beautiful, got a body I can't forget She got style, she got class And her smile's like the sunset*

“We should talk.” I told him. It was then or never. As the music played softly in the background I sat myself on the counter and braced myself not knowing how this conversation would end.

*I can see the lighting , I can hear the thunder I can feel her heartbeat, but I can't find her I can feel the rain all over my face  Like a hurricane, she's taking me away.... Came out of nowhere
I was not prepared*

“What’s up?” He asked me waiting for me to begin. Problem was, I didn’t know where to start.

“Aaron, these last few weeks; hanging out, talking all the time; it’s been wonderful but I’m kind of wondering where this is going. Last night….”

“Was amazing.” He cut me off. “I knew this was coming sooner or later. I understand your concerns.”

“Do you? I’m wondering what ….we are….what I am…to you.”

“We’re friends.” He said. He quickly looked as if he shouldn’t have said that. He shouldn’t have.

“Friends.” I repeated. I could feel my emotions bubbling and I didn’t want him to see me upset. I had gotten my answer. That’s what he thought of me. Of last night. What a typical guy thinking his could have anything he wanted when he wanted. Well that wasn’t sitting well with me. I jumped off his counter and walked to the guestroom shutting the door behind me. I stared out the window out into the ocean trying to get my emotions in check. I wasn’t about to let him see me cry. I heard a soft knock on the door as it crept open.

“Autumn.” A soft whisper came from his lips. He came in slowly as if I might not want him in there but it was his house after all, who was I to tell him to leave. I watched him out of the corner of my eye as he sat on the bed watching me. “I shouldn’t have said that.” He said tenderly.

“It’s okay Aaron, you said how you feel. Don’t apologize for that.” I said still not looking directly at him.

“No, I shouldn’t have said that because it’s not entirely true.”

When I didn’t say anything, he continued. I wasn’t going to say anything.

“We are friends. But I like you so much more than that. I thought I didn’t have to say it, I figured my actions showed how I felt.”

I turned around now trying to read his expression, still listening to what he had to say.

I didn’t want to ruin this weekend but I couldn’t go home without knowing exactly where I stood with him.

“I’m so used to dating teenage girls never questioning me. You challenge me. I’ve never had that. I like spending time with you. I think about you when you’re not here.”

He walked slowly towards me.

“I might have been out of line last night but I couldn’t help myself.”

He brushed my hair away from my face, so close I could feel his breath on my skin.

“I love your smile. I love your laugh.” He held my face in his hand looking deep into my eyes like he was getting lost in them. “I love how when the sunlight hits your brown hair it has a tint of red. I love the way you look at me like you’re looking past all the judgment.”

He backed away like he was reluctant he was saying too much. I grabbed his hand hoping he would go on. Not that I wanted him to continue all the stuff he loves about me, although that was nice to hear. I was getting the answer I was searching for.

“I love how you close your eyes when I’m singing you my music.” He smiled. “Like you’re really listening to the emotion I put behind it.”

“Like I’m…” I cleared my throat, feeling a huge lump in it. “Feeling your emotions.” I grabbed him pulling him closer and wrapped my arms around the back of his neck, my forehead resting on him staring into his eyes.

“I’ve always thought I’d been in love but I’ve never felt like this before. Like this when I’m with you.” He whispered in a low raspy voice.

I backed up a little taking in what he was telling me. Now it was his turn to pull me closer to him.

“I’m hopelessly falling in love with you and it scares me.” Right then I fell into his arms. This side of Aaron that I never knew he had; he was in love with me. Just as I was with him. We stood frozen in time neither one knowing what to say. He pulled himself together realizing everything he had just told me. And I said nothing. Everything that had been on my mind and I had nothing to say at that moment.

After a few minutes of total silence he got up and said he needed to go for a walk. I sat in the room for an hour. I wanted to call Danielle and tell her what had just happened but at the same time I didn’t want to talk; to anyone. I sat alone until I thought I had my own feelings figured out. I walked out looking for Aaron but he seemed nowhere to be found. I decided I needed some fresh air so I walked down to the strip. I hadn’t meant for the conversation to get so intense but I guess Aaron is an intense person with strong emotions.

I didn’t want my last night here to be a bad one so I walked back hoping he was back as well. I put my bags down in the living room and began to look for him until I noticed he was on the balcony.