- Text Size +

“Hey. You okay?” I kindly asked as I joined him.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“I’m sorry I made you leave your own house.”

He smirked a little but said nothing. Was he mad?

“You mad at me?”

“Why would I be mad at you?” He asked looking at me.

“I don’t know. It got pretty intense.”

“Yeah we did.” He said swallowing hard, knowing our conversation wasn’t over. “I poured my heart out and you had nothing to say.” He said walking inside. Okay so he wasn’t mad. Just hurt.

“Aaron, I didn’t know what to say.”

“I told you I’m in love with you and you just stood there. I get it.”

“Get what?” I said not quite following him. I could feel my walls building back up. I wasn’t going to fight with him. I couldn’t. I wouldn’t allow us to. I wasn’t going to lose him after everything that was said and done. He stared at me saying nothing. “We’re not fighting over this.” I told him.

“I’ve never been so open and vulnerable with a woman before, or anyone for that matter. It just kind of came out.”

“Then make it mean something. Don’t hide your feelings now.”

“I should say the same to you.” He mumbled.

“You finally want to hear me out now?” I tried to control my tone but it came out meaner than I meant it to be. “You’re not the only one who has feelings involved. My heart got invested in you before I even knew what was happening. I wasn’t sure where this was going, what you expected of me. I don’t want to get hurt.” I had no control, the tears were coming and as hard as I tried to fight them back, a few tears escaped running down my face. That got his attention.

“What are you saying?” He said as he wiped my tears away with his long sleeve. “I could never hurt you.”

“I’m in love with you too and you don’t know that you could never hurt me. No one ever really means to hurt people, it just happens.” I said wiping my own tears away trying to compose myself.

“I will never hurt you. I want give you better than that. I want to be better than that.” He said so sincerely. “I want to give you the world. I want to give you everything I can.” He stroked my cheek with his hand. “Give me a chance to be your boyfriend.” That threw me for a loop. I wasn’t expecting him to say that but there it was. The turn  I was looking for on the empty, windy road I was driving.

“Aaron, you and I lead two very different lives; I’ve thought a hundred different ways on how you and I could work and it ends up the same way. My heart split in two.”

“It takes two to make any relationship work. I’m willing to work hard if you are. Open your heart and take a chance.” Although it wasn’t only Aaron’s voice telling me to take that chance. I stood for a moment fighting back and forth on the right thing to do. What were the odds that this could actually work between us? If I didn’t take the chance, I would never know.

I threw my arms around him completely letting go of all my fears and what if’s. “I love you.” I whispered in his ear.

“I love you too.” He replied.