- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The idea for this story came after my friends and I got lost on a recent roadtrip.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I rated it R for language, although I really have no clue if it should be.
“What the fuck did that sign just say?” Kevin yelled as we zipped past a large sign on the interstate.

I turned back in my seat to look at Howie, Brian, and AJ in the backseat of the rental car with a sheepish look on my face; this would somehow be my fault, it always was. “Um, well, I believe it said ‘Welcome to Mississippi’. But then again you know how my eyesight is Kev, I could be wrong.” It was at this point that Kevin took both hands off of the wheel and placed them around my neck in a wholehearted attempt to strangle me. Now the story could end here with a fiery crash and our lifeless bodies being found on the side of the road, gnawed on by local wildlife but that wouldn’t be much of a story would it? Sure, the media would have a field day, they’ve been dying to get rid of us for years now and that would be the perfect way to do it. But no, Brian started screaming in the backseat as his life flashed before his eyes, or so he claimed after the whole ordeal. Once he heard Brian scream Kevin regained some of his dwindling self control, at least where I was concerned, and grabbed the wheel just before we plunged into the dark woods on the side of the road.

“And why does it say Mississippi Nick? We’re supposed to be in freaking New Orleans!” Kevin had already pulled the car over and was screaming in my face. Now I could go into detail about that but I assume you can imagine how scary that was, I mean you’ve all seen Kevin. Anyway while Kevin continued to harp on me the three stooges in the back had a nice little laughing fit, I swear AJ peed his pants but he’ll never admit it; it’s times like these I wish we had our own television show, then we’d have proof!

“Technically speaking, yes but…” I trailed off when Kevin gave me the ‘eyebrows’. I knew from experience that once he gave you a flash of that face it was time to stop. I waited for another rant but it never came; all he did was point at the backseat angrily and I hurriedly switched spots with Howie before he left me stranded on the side of the road in middle of nowhere Mississippi. From my spot sandwiched between Brian and AJ in the back I watched Howie punch in something on the GPS before reattaching it to the windshield. I groaned as the annoying fake British voice filled the car with instructions for Kevin to drive 120 miles and then keep right, this was going to be a long night.