- Text Size +
Chapter Eight

-- Nick --

Waiting. Waiting was the hardest part. I wasn't a patient person. Never was, never will be. Liv, one of the most patient people I knew, was impatient. Everything was driving us nuts. The agents set their coffee cups down too loud. The dog's seemed to continuously scratch to go out or come in. People kept calling. Reporters were outside our doors.

I just wanted time to stop for a moment so that I could catch up. Fix things.

Rewinding time would be even better.

I went into the attic around two thirty. I was expecting an update from my team...my brothers. Liv was in the kitchen cutting grilled cheese sandwiches into little triangles for Noah and Peyton. It was monotonous, but it required focus. Focus away from the hell we were living in. Focus back on our other two confused and frightened children.

I sank down and checked my phone. One missed message. I dialed Brian's number and prayed he was in range.

He was.

"News?" I said. He knew I wasn't going to waste time with a hello.

"Remember Neptuno?" Brian asked. As if I could forget.

"Yes."

"Aaron talked to the manager this morning. The manager knows about Brooke. A trap has been set. I think it would be a good idea to get some agents at the club around six thirty. It's been suggested to Aaron that his friends will be coming around seven."

"Friends?"

"I think you remember them."

My jaw tensed. They had pressed a knife up to my fucking throat.

Just another thing I couldn't forget.

"Are these friends really going to be there?"

"No."

"Did you call the cops?"

"No, I don't think they'd appreciate us muddling around twice in two days, do you?"

I couldn't have agreed more.

"I'll pass the word. Be careful."

"Will do."

I disconnected and stood up. I didn't want to go back into the real world. The attic was like a time machine for me. The crib, old baby sleepers, a broken kitchen plaay stove, Brooke's mangled baby doll (the replacement Bri and I had kicked the shit out of)...all of it was like time going in reverse.

All of it was a reminder of Brooke.

I headed back downstairs. Peyton was nibbling off the crust of her sandwich. Noah was poking his finger right in the center of his. He had his chin resting in his hand.

They might have squabbled like cats and dogs, but Brooke and Noah were like Yin and Yang. He was lost without his Yang.

And so was I.

I walked into the living room. I could feel Liv's eyes on the back of my head.

"Henry, I need to talk to you," I said quietly.

He paused in his report-making or whatever he did constantly on his laptop. He stood up and followed me outside.

"What's up?"

"I need you to get some of your Cozumel squad positioned at Club Neptuno tonight around six thirty."

He closed his eyes and sighed.

"Who do you have sticking their nose into this investigation now?"

"That's not important."

"Is it the guys again? Nick, if they keep meddling..."

"It's not them. Please? Have some of your guys talk to the manager of the club if you don't believe me."

He gave me a hard look, but finally nodded. "Alright. I'll dispatch."

We headed back inside. Noah turned, his eyes hopeful. When he saw that Brooke wasn't in my arms or by my side, he turned back around and continued to jab his sandwich.

He had inherited my impatience.

-----------------------------------

-- Aaron --

Waiting. Waiting was the hardest part. I wasn't a patient person. Never was, never will be. I was getting bored with the game. For just once in his damn life, I wanted Nick to listen. If he would just give me that money...

The little girl was rolling around on the mattress that I had so kindly produced. It had a few black bugs crawling around, but it was still better than the floor. She had been sweating for a few hours, tossing and turning. I guess she was sick...

I didn't have time to worry about it.

I thought about Angel. It killed me to think of how close she had gotten to Nick. The poster boy. The 'do-no-wrong' brother. I was her twin for crying out loud. And yet she had only written me once while I was in prison. I'm sure that hidden within her list of all the 'wrongs' I had committed there was a few lines where she reached out for me.

'Redemption' was the word she used.

I didn't want to be redeemed.

Tonight at seven, I was hoping that the lull in my plan was going to come to an end. I was ready to start doing what I did best. I wouldn't have to fear for my life once I paid them back for all my mistakes.

One blonde little girl seemed to me to be the perfect payment.

I picked up my cellphone. I had stolen this one earlier today from some tall leggy brunette at one of the drink stands. I punched in the number I knew so well. The one the Feds didn't even know existed.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mom."

"Aaron, where are you?"

"I'm in Mexico."

"Where?"

"I'd rather not say."

"Are you okay?"

I liked that she asked about how I was doing. She cared...and she understood. She always understood.

"I'm okay. Listen, I need a favor."

"Anything."

"I need you to call Nick and tell him I showed up at your house this morning."

"Are the Feds on your trail?"

"I think so."

There was a pause.

"Once this is all over, you're going to meet me in Russia, right? I'll get to keep her?"

"Absolutely."

There was a happy sigh.

"I'll make the call. Stay safe, baby."

I smiled. "Thank you, mommy."

I disconnected and rubbed my neck. Too much stress. I hated lying to her. After all, there was no way I was going to let her have Brooke. That type of transfer would get me caught. Mom wasn't smart.

Not like me.

But she could be useful.