- Text Size +
Chapter Fourteen

Mason gave me a piggyback ride back to the house. I slid off his back, my arms wrapping around his waist as he unlocked the door. The door swung open quietly and he kissed me softly. We smiled.

He locked the door behind us and we held hands all the way up the stairs. He kissed me once more outside of my room.

"Good night," he whispered.

"Night Mas."

I slid into my room and closed the door. Suddenly the night didn't seem that hot. It was a special night. A wonderful night. I sank down into the soft mattress and closed my eyes. Mason's face appeared in my mind. I snuggled up against my pillow. It wasn't his arms, but it would do.

---------------------

"SHELBY!"

I was in a deep sleep but the numbing shock of pure unrelenting cold woke me quickly. I let out a shriek. Water and ice poured over my head and shoulders.

Addy was standing over me with a metal bucket in hand. Dan was peering in the door, a grin spread across his face.

"You overslept. You mumbled that you were getting up an hour ago. It's nine o'clock."

I ran a hand down my face. My hair clung to my face and neck. I think I was in shock.

"Get up, get dressed and come down to the barn. We're going to have to work together to get ready. You'll definitely be helping me with the kids today."

She walked out of the room. I glanced at Dan.

"GET!"

His eyes widened and he scampered after Addy. I got out of bed and staggered to the mirror. I gasped.

My lips were swollen. I touched them gently. They kind of felt like medical gloves that had been blown up. They didn't hurt but it was a reminder that last night had been real.

So real.

As if my lips weren't enough proof I grabbed a band to pull my hair back. I paused and stared at my neck.

A hickey. Mason had given me a hickey!

I let my hair fall back down. Feeling a little like a rat, I scurried around and got into jeans and a t-shirt.

Addy was mucking the stalls when I ran into the barn. She glanced over at me and nodded at the spare shovel.

"How come you overslept?"

"I couldn't sleep last night. It was too warm. I forgot to set my alarm."

That answer seemed to pacify her. I worked hard to finish mucking before she did. I stuck the hose in the water bucket and watched it fill. My hand went to my hair. It was driving me crazy, but it was still shielding my neck.

"Mom, where's your whistle?"

Addy and I both looked towards the barn door. Dan was bouncing from foot to foot.

"Why?"

"Mason's being a poop and dad can't wake him up. Even the ice water didn't do the trick this morning!"

Addy grinned. "Tell daddy it's in the junk drawer. And if that doesn't work tell dad to get the matches and stick them between Mason's toes."

Dan laughed and ran back to the house. Addy turned towards me but I looked back down at the water bucket and shut the water off.

"Funny that Mason's so tired too," Addy said lightly.

"I think I heard him go down to the kitchen last night," I said feebly. "Maybe he couldn't sleep either."

Addy didn't press and there was no way that I was going to keep talking.

Mason stopped by while I was fixing the strap of a little girl's riding helmet. He smiled.

"Good morning."

"Almost afternoon," I corrected.

"I'm headed to work."

"Did your dad have to light your feet on fire?" I asked. Mason laughed.

"I'm immune to ice water, what can I say?"

He stood there and for one crazy moment I thought he was going to kiss me. Or maybe I just hoped he would. Instead he waved.

"Have a good afternoon!"

"You too!"

He left and I tapped the top of the girl's helmet.

"All set!"

She ran off to her horse and I followed. Addy caught my eye. She had a knowing look in her eye.

But I didn't want her to know.

------------------------

By the time that I showered and got back to my room, I was cranky. My face had gotten sunburned. I had fallen into some horse shit in the arena.

Plus Mason wasn't around.

I picked up my phone from the dresser. I was surprised to find that I had ten missed calls all from the past ten minutes.

All from home.

That was never good.

I sat on the edge of the bed with my legs swinging back and forth. The phone rang once, twice, three times. Finally on the third ring the call was picked up.

"SHEL?"

It was Ally. She sounded fratic.

"Al, what's wrong?"

She let out a wail.

"MOM'S NOT HERE!"

"Is she supposed to be?"

My palms began to sweat. All I could think of was the worst. Mom had hit her head and had amnesia. Her car had broke down and an insane highway killer had gotten to her. Or worse yet, mom had gotten abducted by aliens.

"She took the twins to the doctor and...I'M BLEEDING!"

I heard a click.

"Shel?"

It was dad.

"Hi dad."

Ally continued to wail.

"Al, honey get off the phone a second."

There was a gigantic sniffle and a click.

"Shel, what the hell do I do? She's ten!"

I smiled.

"Dad, I had my first period when I was ten."

"You did? I thought you were older."

"Nope."

"I need you to tell her it will be okay."

Dad sounded almost as freaked out as Ally.

"I can't explain...this stuff."

I laughed.

"Put her back on."

There was a little scuffling.

"Hey Shel, Ally's bleeding out of her va-jay-jay."

"JOE GET OFF THE PHONE!" Dad screamed.

There was a cackle and then I heard Ally's pathetic sniffle.

"Al, go into the bathroom and check the right hand drawer. You'll find the pads there."

"I wish mom was here. I wish you were here."

She sounded miserable.

"I'm so sorry Ally bug," I said. "I know this is freaky."

She sighed. "It's not that bad but it's these boys."

It hadn't been so bad for me. Ally and Joe had still been little and the twins were...I couldn't remember. I think mom might have been pregnant.

I heard the sound of the drawer opening.

"There's Advil in the medicine cabinet. That will help with the cramps. Mom's going to be home soon right?"

"Yeah. Dad looks like he's going to pass out."

I smiled. I vaguely remembered dad being gone the day I had my first period. I almost felt as bad for him as I did for Ally.

Almost.

"Listen, you lock the bathroom door and just take some time. Call me back and I'll stick with you until mom comes home, okay?"

"Thank you Shel. I love you."

I smiled. "I love you too."

We hung up and I leaned back. My little sister had just gotten her first period.

And I had almost, almost lost my virginity. I stuck the corner of my nail in my mouth and nibbled.

The rational part of me was really glad I had told Mason to stop.

But, the other part of me, the hopeless curiosity seeker, couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like.

Something told me that I was going to get another chance to make up my mind.

And I had a feeling my curiosity was going to win the next time around.