- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Four

"So if you pass today, you get your license?"

"Yup. My instructor's meeting my dad and me at the license branch."

"Awesome. So you'll get to drive home, right?"

I laughed. "I plan on it."

Apple, Taurus and I were sitting at a small round table in the lunchroom. Taurus was almost as excited about me getting my license as I was. He was taking driver's ed this coming summer and wanted as much information as possible.

"So in other news, have you and Mason thought of any names for the baby?" Apple asked.

"Yeah, we're stuck between three names," I said. "Brenna, Jolee, and Elizabeth. We're going with Ann for a middle name."

"Are you a nickname person?" Taurus asked.

I smiled. "I love nicknames. We'd call her Bren, JoJo, or Lizzie."

Apple smiled. "You and Mason are so...normal."

I laughed. Apple's middle name was Moonbeam. Her parents were total hippies. I had found out that the name 'Taurus' was actually just his nickname. One day we passed by the principal and she had called him Wesley. Wesley!

"Well, if she's going to grow up in Kentucky, I want her to fit in with her surroundings."

"So no Treesap Starshine?" Apple teased.

"No, I'll let you keep that one."

We all laughed.

------------------------------

"Sir, only the instructor and the student are allowed in the car for the test."

"But--"

"It's Florida state rules."

Dad looked like he could give a flying fuck about Florida state rules. I waved at him.

"I'll be fine dad. It's a five minute test. No sweat."

I was holding on to the driver's side door. Dad glanced at the trunk.

"Don't even think about it," I said with a laugh.

I got into the car and my instructor got into the passenger seat. I took a deep breath. I hoped I didn't screw up too bad. And if I did, I hoped the instructor took pity on a pregnant teenager.

I checked all of my mirrors and buckled my seatbelt. I glanced in the rearview mirror one extra time for good measure. I backed out.

Dad ran alongside the car until I finally got out of the parking lot. My face was as red as a tomato by the time I turned onto an actual street.

"Turn right at the stop sign," the instructor said. I did as I was told.

"What's the speed limit on this road?"

Crap. I had seen a sign...

"Thirty?"

"Thirty five."

I couldn't help but wonder if they still gave points if you were only five points off.

We headed into a school zone. The lights were flashing. I slowed down.

"Good."

I got past the school zone.

"Turn left up here."

I did. The instructor pointed.

"There's a perfect opportunity for a parallel park."

I almost screamed. I had been told by my driving school instructor that these test guys rarely made people parallel park.

It was only my luck. I was glad dad wasn't in the car. He would have been going nuts.

I pulled up a little bit and checked all my mirrors. I put the car in reverse. I turned the wheel.

I couldn't do it the first time.

"Try again," the instructor said calmly.

I pulled forward. I sent a couple prayers up to the guy upstairs. I put the car in reverse again.

Slowly I inched my way in. I felt like I was in bumper cars. I yanked the wheel left. I yanked it right.

But miracuously I fit in, albeit crookedly.

"Not bad," the instructor said. He made a tick on his paper.

I didn't know what 'not bad' translated to in getting Shelby enough points for a license.

We ended up making a loop back to the BMV. I pulled back into the spot marked for test takers. I glanced over at the instructor. He smiled.

"You passed. Flying colors. Just watch speed signs."

I squealed. I leaned over and hugged him tightly. The guy laughed. Dad was practically on the hood of the car. I scrambled with my seatbelt and bounced out of the car.

"I PASSED!"

"Oh shit."

-----------------------------

"Now, driving home is different than driving around a couple blocks," dad said nervously.

I was behind the wheel. I had my still-warm license in my wallet. I bounced in the seat. I reached for the radio.

"No radio."

"But--"

"We need concentration."

I smiled. I liked how he said 'we.'

I glanced in the rearview mirror and pulled out of the parking space.

"Careful!"

I hit the brake.

"What?"

Dad looked flustered. "I thought I saw a badger."

"A badger?"

He coughed. "Go on."

I turned the wheel and headed towards the exit to the parking lot. Dad had a death grip on the dash.

"Turn signal!"

"Dad, it's already on. Relax."

Dad sat back, but just barely. I turned into traffic.

"Keep ten car lengths between you and the next vehicle."

"I only need to keep two car lengths."

"Do it for the baby."

I laughed. "Baby has a need for speed!"

Dad mumbled something. We got past the traffic. The speed limit went up to forty. I sped up.

"SLOW SLOW!"

I decided to humor him. I slowed down to thirty five.

"Slower."

"But--"

"Slower."

I slowed down.

By the time he stopped saying slower I was going barely twenty in a forty.

"Dad, I am seriously under the speed limit."

"It's okay. We're in no hurry."

I opened my mouth to argue, but all of a sudden I saw flashing lights in my mirror. Dad looked too.

"What?"

I pulled over.

"I'm sure it's not for you," dad said. "He's going to go---"

I saw the officer get out of the vehicle. I rolled down my window and looked up.

"Everything okay?" the officer asked. I nodded.

"Yup, it's fine."

"Do you know you're going twenty in a forty?"

"So?" dad asked.

"The minimum is thirty. We don't want to cause any accidents."

I looked at dad. He leaned over and smiled up at the officer.

"I'm sorry, I told her to go that slow."

The officer snickered. "Is this your daughter?"

"Yes."

"I see. Well, just remember accidents happen when people go too slow or too fast. You have a good day now."

The officer went back to his car. It pulled out around me and took off.

I looked at dad again. He sighed. He waved his hand towards the window.

"Go on."

I put the car into drive and took off. I kept it at thirty-five all the way home.

"Let's not tell mom about this okay?" dad said. I laughed.

"It'll be our secret," I said.

He glanced over at me and smiled.

"Congratulations, Shel."

I didn't want to take my eyes off the wheel for fear of freaking him out.

"Thanks, dad."

He reached over and squeezed my hand...the hand that I was keeping at the perfect 'two' position on the wheel.

"This calls for ice cream tonight right?" I asked. He laughed.

"Right."