- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Seven

"You seriously invited this many people?"

"It's not that many people Shel."

Mom, Addy, and Kristin had rented one of the local country clubs for my baby shower. Judging by the number of cars in the parking lot, they had invited every single woman they had ever said hello too.

I had lost sight of my feet a couple weeks ago. Now I felt like one giant balloon.

This baby had to come out of me soon. I just had to get this party over first.

My last day of classes had been yesterday. Apple promise to come to my shower. Both her and Taurus had been really happy that I had decided to stay and come back to school next year.

Mason's finals weren't until next week. He was moving next Saturday. Kevin was following him down with all of his stuff.

Then all we had to do was wait until I popped.

Mom pulled into a spot by the door that said 'reserved.' Pink balloons bounced off the sign.

I undid my seatbelt, opened the door and clung to the top of the door. I hefted myself out.

The baby was pressing on my sciatic nerve and I was miserable. My back hurt, my butt hurt, my legs hurt, my boobs hurt...

Every part of me hurt.

Mom squeezed my arm and smiled.

"This is going to be fun."

I wasn't so sure.

-----------------------

The party started out fun. That was because of the food. I couldn't get enough food. I sat between Apple and Ally and stuffed my face full of meatballs and chicken salad and chips.

Liv, Leighanne, and Leigh were sitting together. Liv had brought Landon and they were gushing over him.

Addy was helping Kristin keep tabs on the food. They didn't exactly have a cozy relationship, but it looked like they were banding together for a common cause.

The first Richardson grandchild.

Mom was chatting with Grandma Denise. I saw her set down her plate. She stood up and clapped her hands.

"Game time!"

I groaned.

We played the yarn game where everyone cut a piece of yarn they thought would fit perfectly around my stomach. That was pretty humiliating. Almost everyone's piece of yarn was smaller than my gigantic intertube. Only Ally managed to get it right on.

Then we played another game called 'How Well Do You Know Mommy-to-Be.' Everyone got a sheet with seven categories - Eyes, Ears, Nose, Legs, Hair, Smile, and Humor. They had to guess whether I would prefer the baby to have my trait or Mason's.

Apple ended up winning that game. I wanted my baby to look exactly like Mason except for the legs. I know that sounds weird, but I always thought I had pretty decent legs. Plus Mason's were so hairy.

The last game we played was a nursery rhyme scramble. I finished before everyone else. I had always loved memorizing those silly rhymes and screaming them at the top of my lungs.

"I taught you well," mom said with a smile.

After the games, it was time for presents. I was shocked at the amount of bags that I had to open. I received so many dresses and sleepers that I didn't know how one baby could possibly wear everything. Along with the clothes came the bottles, bibs, pacifiers, diapers, and blankets.

"This one's from Liv," Ally said. She was being a dutiful note taker. I was going to be writing Thank You cards until my hand fell off. Or at least until I got carpal tunnel.

I pulled out an adorable butterfly mobile. In the bottom was something hard and flat. I pulled off the tissue paper.

"OH MY GOD!"

I was holding a picture book. An OLD picture book.

Arthur: It's Only Rock 'n' Roll. Guest starring The Backstreet Boys.

"Mom, remember this book? I used to check it out every time we went to the library by our old apartment!"

Mom smiled. "I remember. That's crazy!"

Liv laughed. "I thought a Backstreet grandbaby might enjoy a story with her grandpas."

I beamed. I was pretty sure that this was the best present in the whole pile.

"Thank you so much," I said softly.

After another hour I finally got through the endless bags and boxes. Kristin stood up.

"I have one more gift," she said.

"So do I," Addy said.

A couple clubhouse guys rolled out a beautiful white crib. A couple other guys carried out a rocking chair.

"Wow," I said. I stood up and admired both. It was hard to believe that I'd have an actual baby to put in the crib and rock to sleep in the rocker in less than three weeks.

"I think you're all set now," mom said with a smile.

I laughed. "I'm all set...but I'm not ready."

"It's all worth it in the end," Liv said. Landon was fast asleep, his mouth open, his hands clenched in little fists. If my baby was as sweet as Landon, I figured I'd be okay.

Mom disappeared and came back a moment later with a cake shaped like a rattle. I poised for pictures as I cut into it. Mom sliced up a big piece of the marble cake and I sat down to devour it.

"Hey Shel, I've got to go but I had fun."

Apple leaned down and hugged me.

"Oh, I was wondering if Taurus and I can come to the hospital and see you and the baby when its born?"

I smiled. "Absolutely."

"Sweet. See ya!"

I waved. Ally sat beside me. She scraped off the frosting and just ate the cake.

"All that stuff is so little and cute," Ally said. I smiled.

"Yeah, it is."

Ally took another bite.

"Hey Shel?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you sorry you got pregnant?"

I licked the icing off my fork. My little bean had turned into a huge watermelon. I could feel the exact placement of her little foot.

"I wish I would have waited," I said honestly. "I would be much happier if this wouldn't have happened until I was at least eighteen."

Ally nodded. "It's going to be hard isn't it? Going to school and taking care of her and stuff?"

I had no idea how hard it would be, but I knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park.

"It's going to be tough."

Ally smiled. "But you have all of us."

I smiled. "I know. But she's my responsible. And Mason's."

"I can't wait until Mason gets here," Ally said.

I stole the icing from her plate.

"Neither can I."