- Text Size +

Nick’s Point of View

I had finished my first week of school. Thank goodness it was only a three day week. Now I had a long weekend due to Labor Day. I was ready to enjoy my weekend. The kids had tired me out on the playground.

I sat at the island making my shopping list. Some of my friends were coming over for a cookout the next day. I needed to get a few things. I added the rest of the items to the list and head out to Wal-Mart.

I pulled my car into the parking lot and found the nearest spot to the store. I quickly got out and headed inside.

I was looking at some fruit when I heard one of the most irritating voices. I couldn’t even go to the grocery store without being reminded of school.

“Mom, that’s Mr. Carter. He’s worse than the worst kid in our class. Miss Abbott is always correcting him.” Anastasia said as she pushed her glasses up on her nose.

“I think you should say hello to him. That would be polite.” The little girl sighed and started walking over toward me.

“Hello Mr. Carter.” She poked me on the side.

“Well hello there, Anastasia. It’s a pleasure to see you.” I said with a smile. I just wanted to finish my shopping. Anastasia’s mom smiled at me.

“Hello, I’m Anastasia’s mother, Mrs. Mitchell. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She took my hand in hers.

“It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Mitchell.” I replied as she stroked my hand. I was feeling rather uncomfortable. “Anastasia is a very nice girl.”

By the look on Anastasia’s face she thought I was lying. I couldn’t say that she got on my very last nerve. What kind of grown-up would I be? Sometimes you have to tell a little white lie.

“You look so familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?” She totally dismissed the comment about her daughter.

“I don’t think so.”

“I know. You’re that singer. I think I need to help out in Anastasia’ classroom more often.” Mrs. Mitchell smiled sexily at me. I wanted to run out of Wal-Mart and forget about my groceries.

“I’m sure that Anastasia would love that. I need to go. It was a pleasure meeting you. See you at school Anastasia.”

I quickly headed the other direction away from them. Anastasia’s mother was scary. It was like she was trying to hit on me. Why would she do that in front of her child?

--------------------------

“So tell me about this kiddiegarten teacher?” AJ exhaled smoke from his mouth. “Is she old and gray?”

“Far from it. She’s about our age.”

“Is she hot?” AJ stamped out his cigarette and placed his hand in his pocket.

“She’s pretty.” I said calmly. “Does it really matter?”

“Well, yeah. You don’t want to work with someone that’s not easy on the eyes.”

“Damn it J. I’m there to do community service. I’m not there to get laid.” I rolled my eyes. Alex was being a pain in the ass. We were waiting for everyone else to arrive. AJ for some reason had to show up early and annoy me.

“So tell me about the pretty kiddiegarten teacher.”

“Would you stop with the third degree?” I was clearly frustrated. AJ was acting like a kindergartener himself.

“Just tell me about her and I promise no more questions.” He lit up another cigarette, as he stared at me.

“Fine. Her name is Caitlin Abbott. She pretty brown hair and the most beautiful blue eyes I’ve seen.”

“She sounds hot. You may get lucky by the end of the year.” J teased me.

“Miss Abbott doesn’t really like me. She treats me like one of her students.”

“You do act like a five year old most of the time.”

I flicked AJ off and went over to the refrigerator. I grabbed a can of Mountain Dew and chugged it.

“Can’t you use your Carter charm to woo her or are you losing your charm?”

“I’m there for community service. I can’t blow this because she will kick me out of her class in a heartbeat.”

“She sounds like a feisty one. Can I meet her?”

“You’re engaged.” The doorbell rang. “Go see who’s at the door?”

-------------------------------

The cookout was in full swing. Everyone was having a good time. I was lounging in a chair watching the sunset, when Brian came over and sat down beside me.

“How’s your community service going?”

“It’s going fine. Thanks for your concern.”

Brian had been pissed when I got into trouble yet again. He said that I wasn’t being the best role model for the fans. Hello, most of the fans were over eighteen and female. I really don’t think I was there role model. I was more their object of lust. Brian softened a little when he realized I was protecting Madison Jo Williams. He was still disappointed that I would stoop to that level.

“You’re still mad at me.”

“Kind of. I hurts that you think that little of me. You act like I did it on purpose.” I exhaled a breath I didn’t know I was holding in.

“Nick, you’re thirty years old. You got be more responsible.”

“I am responsible. I’ve screwed up majorly in the past. I’ve changed. I’m sorry I am a royal fuck up.” I got up and walked away. It sucked when your best friend didn’t support you.

Leighanne walked over to her husband. “What’s Nick problem?”

“Me.” Brian answered morosely.

“You’re not going to like what I have to say, but I’m going to tell you anyway.” She sat down next to her husband. “Nick’s a grown man. He needs to learn from his own mistakes. He didn’t purposely get into trouble. If the paparazzi were hounding me, I would hope someone would defend me. He was trying to do the right thing.”

Brian didn’t say anything for a few minutes. “I guess you’re right. I was too hard on him. It just makes me mad to see him blasted all over the tabloids.”

“I know Bri. I think he’ll be okay this time. Go apologize to him” She pushed him to move.