- Text Size +

Nick was sitting on the couch in the middle of everyone, but was oblivious to what was going on around him. He was lost in his own thoughts. 'She's fighting with Adam about me. She should just let him kick my ass. I deserve it. If she only knew. If he only knew. How could I have screwed up so badly?" 


Nick looked up and realized CJ had entered the room. "Everything's fine guys. Al is once again his docile, free loving, hippie type self." 


Howie looked at her. "Yea J, but only after some major yelling on your part. You've never fought with him before. What the hell was going on?"


"So we get two firsts on our visit: Our first time seeing J-Bird sing on stage, and her first fight with Adam. I feel so privileged," Kevin said.


CJ shot Kevin an evil look. "Howie, Kev, all of you: Can we just drop it. I don't like yelling at Al, and I'd like it even less if y'all insist on discussing it."


Leighanne walked over and wrapped an arm around CJ's shoulders. "It's ok sweetie, if the guys want to continue discussing this, us girls can escape into the next room and leave the kids with them, ok?"


CJ nodded as tears started filling her eyes.


Nick felt a pang in his gut. He wanted to be the one to console her. 'Should I? Screw thinking about it. Just do what you think is right,' Nick thought to himself.


Nick nodded to himself then stood up, walked over to CJ and wrapped his arms around her. "It's alright CJ. I'll take Adam's punishment if it'll make things easier for you."


CJ shook her head. "No, it's ok. Al's better now, although I'm sure if I called him he could be on the next flight out.," CJ said with a giggle. "Listen, um, can I talk to you about this in private?"


Nick smiled and nodded. "Sure thing." He pulled her closer, kissed her forehead, and laid his cheek on the top of her head.


It was only when CJ snuggled into his chest, that Nick remembered they were still standing in front of everyone else. Nick opened his eyes and turned his head, everyone was staring at them. The girls all had giant grins on their faces.


Nick coughed nervously. "So, let's um... Let's go in there and talk, ok CJ?"


CJ looked up at Nick, then past him to everyone else, then back at Nick. "Yea," she said, grabbing his hand and leading him to her room.


CJ plopped down on her bed and patted the area next to her.


Nick walked over and sat next to her.


CJ was still fighting back tears. She hated fighting with Adam. She pushed all that to the back of her brain and focused on what was going on. She took a few deep breaths to steady her voice, then looked up at Nick, into his eyes so he knew she was serious. "Al told me to talk to you. It took quite a bit of convincing, but he forgives you. But he said forgiveness is a one time thing. He won't forgive you again. Now, I say he will 'cause he will listen to me."


CJ saw Nick's eyes light up. "That doesn't mean I've changed my mind, Nick. I'm just saying I know how to calm him down when he gets mad at people who hurt me."


"But Brian said you two had never had a fight before," Nick said.


CJ nodded. "Yea, I know what they think, but that's just not true. Al and I fight, it's just never been in front of them or in public. Just think about it this way: 11 years ago Al and I were in high school leading a half-way normal teenage life, except during the summer. But 11 years ago, y'all were doing the Millennium tour. My brothers have been gone a lot over the last decade from touring and promo stuff, as you know. So that's a lot of time that Al and I had to fight without any of them knowing."


Nick smiled. "Well, if you're going to be all logical about it... I guess I should have thought about that."


"Yea. Al and I don't fight a lot, but it does happen. No one gets along perfectly. Even the happiest couples in the world fight occasionally, right?"


Nick thought back to the few times he'd seen Brian and Leighanne fight. But when the were done, they always came out of it stronger than they were before.


"The only problem is that when we do fight, it gets really ugly. We're both stubborn and bullheaded. Adam blames it on the count of us both being Aquarians. Actually, today was quite tame compared to some of our blow ups," CJ said.


Nick's jaw dropped. "That was TAME?"


Tears started welling up in CJ's eyes again. She hated thinking about it. She nodded and sniffled. She allowed Nick to wipe away the tears that had escaped and pull her close. She leaned on him, laying her ear over his heart, allowing the gentle beating to sooth her. She wrapped her arms before looking up at him. His eyes were locked on hers. He leaned in, holding her gaze. She felt her willpower slipping away. She was losing it to those beautiful blue eyes. She leaned into his hand as it grazed her cheek. She allowed him to pull her face to his, to put his lips to hers. His lips were soft and sweet and needy. 


He pulled her in closer, intensifying the kiss. He parted her lips with his. His tongue entered her mouth and met hers, dancing together. She put her hand on his face. They were becoming one, acting instinctively, perfectly in sync with each other, and she needed more contact with him. They let their arms explore each other, but never breaking the kiss. CJ let out soft moans, Nick felt incredible, just like she remembered.


"CJ?"


Nick and CJ both jumped at the sound of AJ's voice. 


"Oh. Sorry. I um... I was going to see if everything was ok... CLEARLY it is. I'll see you um... Out.... Bye!" AJ half-smiled and walked back out the door.


CJ looked at Nick then pushed herself away. "I'm sorry. That shouldn't have happened."


"Yes, it should have," Nick said emphatically.


CJ stood up and started towards the door. Nick grabbed her wrist. "CJ, don't go. Please? We need to talk. Please CJ," Nick pleaded.


CJ shook her head and walked out the door without another word. Nick didn't know what he should do. He wanted to chase after her, to tell her everything. But he knew, even if he did she wouldn't want to talk, maybe not even want to be around him. Since the bus was moving, he knew there wasn't a lot of room to get away from anyone. So instead of chasing after her, he went to his room and laid down on his bed. His mind was racing. "She still feels the same, but she won't be with me. Is she scared? Maybe if I tell her everything... I dunno, all I know right now is that she and I NEED to talk. Fuck it, I'm going back to sleep. There's no point in doing anything about it right now." He closed his eyes and tried to go to sleep.