- Text Size +
CJ slowly opened her eyes and stretched out. As her sleepy fog started to lift she realized what song was on her iPod. "I don't care who you are, where you're from, what you did as long as you love me." CJ smiled. "Thanks JC."

"Last time I checked I wasn't in NSYNC."

CJ turned her head and saw Kevin standing in her doorway with a tray that had some water and a sandwich. CJ blushed. "Sorry Kev. I didn't see you there. I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to... myself?"

Kevin stared at her for a minute then shrugged and brought her over the tray. "Well anyway, I thought you might like something to eat. When you never showed at lunch I figured you'd fallen asleep, and could use the sleep. I was coming to wake you up and give you this and to tell you that you have 30 minutes until you're due on stage."

CJ took the sandwich and took a bite. She smiled and covered her mouth. "Thanks Kev. This is perfect."

Kevin smiled back. "Anytime J-Bird. So have you given any thought to what I said earlier, about moving on past Carrot?"

CJ swallowed her bite of sandwich. “Actually I have. It’s an interesting story. But short version… You’re right. I need to move on and stop comparing everyone to Carrot. I need to go out and date. Maybe not Nick, but who knows? But one thing’s for sure, I owe him a lot for sleeping with Stacy.”

Kevin frowned and shook his head. “J-Bird, I thought you’d gotten past that. Don’t you think revenge now is just kinda… I don’t know, evil?””

CJ laughed. “Not like that Kevin. No, I actually owe him a debt of gratitude. Maybe I can take him to lunch or buy him a watch or something.”

Kevin’s eyes popped out and he put his hand on her forehead. “Did you bump your head? Are you sick? Or did you just go completely insane in the last couple of hours while you were asleep?”

CJ shook her head. “Nah, I’m fine… and sane. I just thought about it. Nick sleeping with Stacy made me realize I was using a 7 year old to compare other guys to. But most importantly, he made me realize that I’d just shut down and had stopped feeling towards people. Nick made me… feel. Even though it hurts like hell, I can feel something again.”

Kevin sat down next to her and wrapped her in a tight bear hug. “Oh J-Bird, you’re finally back!” He held her in his arms and kissed the top of her head. When he let her go, CJ saw tears in the corner of his eyes. She smiled at him. “Aww, Kevy.” Kevin cleared his throat. “Maybe I should get him something too.” But what do you get someone who brought a sister back by sleeping with another girl? I’m pretty sure Hallmark doesn’t have a card for that.” They both laughed.

CJ looked at the door after she heard a knock. “Hey guys, what’s so funny?” AJ smiled and looked at the two of them.

Kevin shook his head as he stood up. “Nothing AJ.” Kevin leaned down and kissed CJ’s head again. “I’ll see you from the crowd, J-Bird. But to do that I gotta get out there. Love you. Break a leg.”

CJ nodded and continued eating her sandwich. “So what’s up J? You come to drag my ass to the stage?”

AJ shook his head. “No. I was just bored. Brian and D are talking about kids. Nick is just getting back. SO I came in here to wake your ass up and tell you to amuse me or something. I’m bored!”

“Nick’s back? He left?”

“Shit. Yea, he left and got some lunch. But he’s back safe and sound… sans girl.”

CJ smiled. “I’m not worried about it. He should go on some dates.”

AJ stared at her. “Did you bump your head? Are you sick? Did aliens take over your body?”

CJ laughed. “I’m fine. No aliens, just me.”

AJ cocked an eyebrow and stared at her.

“Talk to Kevin if you have questions…. Wait, drag D and Brian too. I ain’t having this convo two times, let alone four.”

AJ smiled. “Well, it’s definitely my baby sister in there.”

CJ rolled her eyes. “Gee. Love you too, J. Anyway, I need to get ready. So I’ll see you in a bit.”

AJ nodded and started to leave. “Oh J, Adam texted me. He said to have you call him. Apparently your phone is off.”

CJ grabbed her phone. “Damn, battery’s dead. Thanks J. Will you let him know I’ll talk to him after the show?”

AJ nodded and walked out, closing the door behind him.

“Now, what do I wear tonight?”