- Text Size +
During soundcheck, Nick kept watching Kevin in the audience. He was beaming as he watched CJ sing and interact with the small group of VIPs. Sometimes he’d make faces at her, trying to make her laugh. Nick watched as the VIPs tried not to stare at Kevin, Kristin, and Mason. When they would stop trying, CJ would do something outrageous to get their attention back on the stage. If he hadn’t known she was the baby of the family before, her actions on stage would have given her away. She was an expert at getting attention. She was a tomboy too. The last time the VIPs started staring at Kevin, she made the loudest farting noise she could into the microphone. Everyone turned and stared at her. She just giggled and said “Sorry, I had tacos for lunch.” The VIPs stared at her as well as her brothers tried to contain their laughter. Nick was the only one who didn’t try to stop his laughter. But everyone just rolled their eyes and ignored him.

As the soundcheck party started wrapping up, Nick realized that CJ had been staring at him almost the entire time. CJ got the last question of the day, and he knew that he wasn’t the only one who had noticed her staring at him.

“So CJ, do you have a crush on Nick or something? You’ve been staring at him.” The girls in the VIP group giggled and gasped. All of CJ’s brothers stared at her, even Kevin.

CJ blushed a bit then cleared her throat before she responded. “Well who wouldn’t? I mean look at him. He’s gorgeous. I’ve seen several of you staring at him too. I’m only human. But I mean, I’m a lucky girl to be on stage with four of the best looking guys in the entire world. Don’t you all agree?”

The girls all hooted and hollered and clapped in agreement.

‘Handled like a pro,’ Nick thought as he smiled and blushed. He watched CJ get up and started over towards each of them. She hugged and kissed each of her brothers on the cheek. When she got to him she smiled and did the same. She waved at the VIPs and leaned into his ear. “Can we talk after the show?”

Nick looked at her, smiled, and nodded. “ ’Kay. I gotta go get ready for the show. See you later.”

Nick nodded and watched her leave the stage.

“Ooh, I think Nick’s crushing too.”

All the girls giggled as Nick turned to face his accuser, AJ, who had a huge grin on his face. “I don’t see you denying it.” AJ smiled bigger.

Nick felt his face burning. “Yea, ok. I have a schoolboy crush.”

The whole group “aww”-ed at his statement. He smiled and looked at the side of the stage again, hoping to see CJ, but he couldn’t see her. ‘She must be movin’ quick today. I wonder what’s up with her. She seems different.’ Nick was lost in his own thoughts. ‘Concentrate. Wait ‘til after the show.’ Nick smiled at himself then turned his attention back to the VIPs.

Once CJ got back to her room she took her phone off the charger and texted Al. ‘I had an epiphany. Tell you about it l8r. I’m doing great. So don’t worry about me. I’ll call when the show’s done. Love & hugs & smooches. Your Jassy.’

“There. That should make him feel better. Now, what do I wear tonight?”

CJ rustled through her clothes for a bit until her phone rang.

“Hello? Oh hey Al. No, I promise you I’m great. I just don’t have time to tell you about it right now. Yea I promise after the show. But hey, since you’re on the phone I need help with my wardrobe. I have a sexy mid-thigh club dress or I have the leather pants with midriff top that goes with. What do you think? For the show? Ok, I’ll send pics. Thanks sweetie. Ok. In a few. Kisses.”

CJ smiled and shook her head. “I should have expected that. But it comes to my rescue.” She took pictures of the two outfits and sent them to Al and waited for his answer. When he did respond, it wasn’t quite what she expected. “If you’re gonna try to impress Nick, get thigh high boots and wear red club dress. Otherwise go comfy with leather. Good luck. Your Al.”

CJ dialed Al. “Hey, what makes you think my epiphany was about Nick? Or even if it was, that it was to try again? I know I’ve been crushin’ for years. Just ‘cause you know me like that doesn’t mean… Ok it was partly about Nick… BUT IT DOESN’T MEAN… It doesn’t mean I want to impress him like that. Fine Al. I’ll wear the club dress with my boots. Yes, I’ll send pics. Love you too. Bye.”

CJ put the leather outfit away. “Boy, my brothers are going to have a hay day with this.” She started listening to her iPod as she got ready. She started the process off by putting on ‘stage make-up’, slightly brighter and a bit more than day-to-day make-up, but not Broadway style. She hummed along to her music and finished up. After make-up was done and dress was on just right, it was time for the boots. She loved her thigh high, 4-inch heeled boots. But sometimes they weren’t worth the hassle. They had to be put on just right and held a certain way to get the zipper up. But DAMN did they look good.

As CJ reached down to get the 2nd zipper, she saw legs in her doorway. She zipped the boot up and turned to see Nick staring with his mouth open.

“Can I help you?”

Nick just stared.

“Hello? Nick?” She walked over and waved her hand in front of his face. He finally turned his head towards her. “There you are.” She took the headphones out of her ears. “What’s up? Did you need something?”

Nick nodded.

“What is it?”

Nick shook his head a bit. “Umm, 15 minute warning.”

“Thanks. Hey, while you’re here can you do something for me?”

Nick’s eyes popped wide open and he nodded.

CJ giggled. “Thanks. Can you take a couple pics of me with my phone? Al wanted to see what it looks like on me. What do ya think? Does it look alright?”

Nick took CJ’s phone and nodded at her. He took five pics of her then showed them to her. “Oh, these are perfect. Thanks Nick!” She kissed his cheek. As she started to send the pics to Al, Nick took the phone from her hands and threw it on the chair behind him. He pulled CJ close, wrapped her in his arms, and kissed her. He kissed her deep. It left her breathless. Before she could think, she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. They stood there, their tongues dancing, as if nothing else was in the world but the two of them.

They only broke apart when they heard a knock at her door. CJ, still holding onto Nick, turned towards the hallway and saw Leighanne staring at the two of them grinning from ear-to-ear. She cleared her throat and started: “I was instructed to come down and get you, CJ. You’re needed on stage. Oh, and Nick, Brian and AJ are looking for you. Howie would be too but he’s got James at the moment. So… yea. Um, CJ if you’re going to get on stage you need to release Nick and come with me.”

CJ let go of Nick’s neck and backed up a few steps staring at Nick and smiling. She turned to leave then remembered her phone. She ran and got it then left with Leighanne.

“Girl, you look HOT in that outfit, but boy are your brothers going to throw a fit.”

CJ ran quickly to the side of the stage. She sent the pics to Al and then handed her phone to Leighanne. “Watch it for me?”

Leighanne nodded.

“Thanks.” CJ hugged Leighanne, grabbed her mic and then walked out onto the stage to the sound of screaming fans.