- Text Size +
The first week was uneventful and Alex only saw Daphne a couple of times as she drove off in her smart car. But Rochelle had actually been to her house and had described her as being artistic, “You should see her house, she changed it completely. The walls Alex they are all different she is painting each wall differently. It’s unique and beautiful.”

Alex chuckled as she continued to describe there new neighbor. “I cut her hair she asked me to.” She said as she leaned in and kissed him.

“You smell like monkey,” Alex said laughing as Rochelle pinched him.

“I do not,” she said kissing him again.

“So do you think we have time for a little sexy time?” Alex asked as he began to rub her back.

“I wish but…” Rochelle said with a pout. “I have to be at the airport by three.”

“Fine but you really can’t cancel with your parents?” Alex asked.

“I can’t… this is important it’s my last trip with them as a single woman. I will meet you in Miami for the cruise.”

“I suppose that will have to do then.” Alex said capturing her lips with his again. “Do you want me to go with you?”

“No your knee needs to heal so you can go back to your recording.” Rochelle said as she kissed him again. “I’ll call you when I land in Colorado.”

She stood up and went to the room they shared to get her things. She had packed everything two days ago.

*******

Alex smiled as he saw his dogs run wild outside the yard. He finished his smoke and that’s when he saw Daphne in some shorts and a tank busy planting. He walked toward the fence and cleared his throat. “Usually we buy poison to kill them and you are planting them in your yard?”
“Yeah people are cruel.” Daphne answered as she took off her gardening gloves. “For me there a source of food and beauty.” She said as she grabbed a puff ball and blew at it making its seeds fly against the breeze.

“Food?” Alex said curiously.

“Yes it’s actually good in salads.” Daphne said. “SO is Rochelle gone?”

“Yeah left earlier today.” Alex said as he watched her take of her straw hat her hair falling down her shoulders.

“Man it’s pretty warm for a September day.” Daphne said as she looked up at the sun. “I’d love to have you over for dinner sometime; I’ll make my dandelion salad.”

Alex was caught of guard as she smiled at him. “Sure why not, there’s always a time to try to new things.”

Daphne giggled again and then she stared at him, “So what happened to your leg?”

“Oh it’s actually my knee… I had surgery on it.”

********

After hanging up with Rochelle that night Alex laid back down his plush bed. He had had a very interesting afternoon talking to Daphne. He had even agreed on lunch for tomorrow to try the dandelion salad.

He began to doze off when he heard noise he walked to his window and looked out. That is when he caught Daphne climbing some latter up to the roof. He couldn’t take his eyes off her she was just so weird.

She had bought the house for more than it was worth and now there she was climbing the roof with backpack on her back. It well past nine in the night, he was glad his lights were off.

He chuckled a little as he saw her monkey climb right behind her. What was she doing? He watched her extend a blanket on the roof and than sitting on it. She than proceeded to drink something… he was watching intently and then she was meditating her legs crossed Indian style. She took deep breaths and then she began to hum it was a low hum but with a melody.

He smiled as he realized it was a melody to some song… he didn’t realized how long he had been there watching till the monkey made eye contact with him. He began to make noises pulling Daphne from her concentration. “Shit,” he said and ducked on the floor.

“Fuck,” he said when he felt the pain on his knee. “What the fuck were you doing Alex?” he asked himself as he lay there on his carpet.