- Text Size +
Alex was preparing to drive to the studio for some work. As he stepped he was caught off guard as he saw Daphne in tight boot cut jeans a plaid shirt, cowboy boots and hat. She was dancing and she was humming as she looked through her mailbox.

“But that won’t keep me warm in the middle of the night…. That don’t impress me much.” Daphne sang as she went through the mail. She jumped in surprised when she saw her neighbor smiling at her.

“Shania Twain fan?” Alex asked as he watched her turn off her Ipod, popping her earphones out of her ears.

“Only when I am dressed as a cowgirl.” She said tipping her hat. “Today is cowboy day!” she giggling.

“Heading to a rodeo?” Alex asked.

“Hmmm… no but that sounds good. I was actually going to head to this horse ranch just outside the city… ride a horse.” She said as she stared up at the sun. “Wanna join me? Unless you’re afraid of riding horses.”

“I actually was heading into work…besides with the knee I really can’t ride a horse.” Alex said eyeing her curiously.

“Suit yourself sometimes its not about riding the horse, it’s about forgetting the now and dreaming the future.” She said as she took a deep breath her eyes looking up into the sun. She whistled and out came George with a little cowboy hat and a red handkerchief around his neck.

She opened her car door and George climbed in as she went to lock the door. She eyed Alex one more time… “last chance?” she said.

He really didn’t feel to creative to really concentrate at the studio so he took a deep breath, “Ok,” he said exiting his gate and walking to hers she opened the gate and he walked up to the smart car. “I hope I fit.”

“Trust me you’ll fit,” she said as she disappeared back into her house. She came back a few minutes later with a black cowboy hat. “The cap has to go your going to be a cowboy today.” She said handing him the hat.

“Are you fucking serious I haven’t worn a cowboy hat since … well a long time ago?” He said as he took the hat and held it in his hands.

“Well I always thought you looked cute with your different hats even the cowboys hat.” Daphne said as she turned the car and began to back out of the driveway.

“What?” Alex asked as he realized what she had said.

“What? I have my teenybopper era too… Backstreet has been my favorite. I used to fight with my friend Janelle because she loved Nsync…ugh.” She said making a funny face.

“So you’ve known who I’ve been all along?” Alex asked baffled.

“Well yeah… what you expected me to be ogling you and planning on seducing you or what?” she asked laughing.

“Well not exactly like that… its just I didn’t even get a vibe that you liked my music.” Alex said taking off his cap and putting on the hat.

“Yeah well I tend to through people off… Besides I didn’t say you guys were still my favorite… you just on the top ten.” She said smiling at him as she turned on the radio.

Aerosmith’s Pink began to play and Alex laughed, “What are your top ten?” he asked.

“Lets see… if I remember correctly from the last time I reevaluated that.” She said biting her lip. “I’ll go from ten to one.” She said as she bobbed her head to the song, “Muse, The Killers, Nirvana, Blue October, Coldplay, Backstreet boys…” she rolled her eyes as she said that one. She giggled and continued, “Red hot chili peppers, Rascal Flatts, Incubus, and Aerosmith.”

“It’s quite a list… more rock than anything.” He said.

“Hey we’re talking about bands right? IT would be slightly different if you would have said artist’s.” she said.

“True do I want to get you started on the other list?” Alex asked laughing. He liked Daphne she was weird but she was fun to be with.

“No not today maybe some other day…” she said as she put the volume up as Nirvana began to play…

“So where exactly are we going?” Alex asked as he looked out of the window realizing they were leaving LA’s city limits.

“You’ll see…” she said a smirk on her face. “George loves this place right George?” she asked the monkey who sat in the middle moving to the song or more like banging his head.


“Why a monkey?” Alex asked as George stuck his tongue out to him.

“Why not a monkey?” she asked him.

“I don’t know I would’ve just thought a dog or cats are more of home pets?” he said.

“Yeah well monkeys are smarter… besides I rescued George from… a circus.” She whispered the last word. “He can’t hear that word if not he will go a wall!” She said.

“When was this?” Alex asked.

“Four months ago in Rio de Janeiro… I wish I could’ve have rescued all the animals.” Daphne said her face turning a little angry as she remembered. “He’s clean I made sure he got his shots and everything.”

“Wow…” Alex said as he stared at George who was now sucking on his finger.

“I like dogs though… I have one back at my parent’s home. A poodle…” she said smiling again.

“Where are you from anyways?” Alex finally asked.

“I’m from everywhere… I don’t have a home since two years ago… I just live where I want to live. But if you must know I was raised in a small town called Portage in Wisconsin… very small.” She emphasized the size with her fingers.

“Why you choose LA for now?” Alex asked and then he saw her face turn slightly sad.

Daphne cleared her throat and smiled again but the smile didn’t touch her eyes. “I want to see how it feels to live like the rich and famous.”

Alex laughed and then cleared his throat, “It’s not all it is pictured to be trust me I should know.”

“Well that is because you are only seeing the negative part of it all…” she said as she finally took an exit to a deserted road.

“I don’t only see the negative,” Alex said defensively.

“Ok fine…” Daphne said as she looked toward the front smiling as she saw the sign to the Ranch come into sight.

“We’ll argue later about that when we’ve known each other or over five days at least.” She said as she slowed down.

She parked and opened the door, “Ok cowboy lets go.” She told Alex as she held to her cowboy hat. George quickly climbed up to her shoulder.

Alex only took a deep breath as he saw the ranch it was a sight to see and the day was really nice for horse riding to bad he couldn’t. “Alright Yeehaw!” he said laughing when he saw Daphne laughed.

“I would love to see you when we dress hippie style.” Daphne said laughing.
Chapter End Notes:
Ok here is another chapter bare with me it will begin to get interesting trust me... :)