- Text Size +
Alex laughed as he saw George hanging from the tree, the tree where he sat next to Daphne. He took another bite from his watermelon as he watched Daphne dig out some pills. “You’re sick?” he asked her regretting it as soon as he saw the pained look on her face.

She laughed nervously and took a gulp of her water as she swallowed her pills. “Well they are more like vitamins to make me stronger.” She said nervously as she took another gulp of water.

“Oh,” Alex said eyeing her.

“Isn’t it beautiful out here?” she asked as she looked out into the field. It was still pretty green… she stood up and ran into the grassy field twirling. “Sometimes I want to be the wind… I want to feel my way through everything.” She smiled and laughed as George imitated her, he began to twirl too.

“Yeah it’s beautiful…” Alex said smiling as he saw her. “I can’t believe I hadn’t heard about this ranch before.” He said as he finished his watermelon.

“Well maybe it’s because your to busy making everyone else happy.” Daphne said as she removed her plaid shirt and revealed a deep purple tank. “Life is short Alex sometimes you have to put your foot down and do what you want.”

“It’s not that easy…” Alex said.

“Yes it is try it and you’ll see just how liberating it is. Maybe you can start by finally releasing your solo album here in the US… dammit it is wicked. I loved it… even though I did have to order it all the way from Japan.”

Alex’s smiled widen, “you have my CD?” he asked.

“Yes… and Nick’s solo too. OH and you can’t forget Brian’s.” she said as she peeled a banana for George. “I told you have a teenybopper spirit inside of me still.”

He chuckled and cleared his voice, “do you have a favorite?”

Daphne pretended to think… “I hate it when you’re gone and London are my two favorites. What if comes third…” she said, “George likes Drive by love…” she giggled as George offered some banana to Alex. “You better take it he gets hurt easily.”

“Why thank you George,” Alex said taking a piece and pretended to eat it. “So you travel then?”

“I guess you can say that,” Daphne said smiling. Her smile was contagious most of the time. “See two years ago I got an epiphany so I made a list of what I wanted to do before I die… thanks to my grandpa’s will and his large inheritance I was able to do it.”

“Well you’ve must have a very long list if you started so early… I mean you can’t be more than twenty three.” Alex said.

“Twenty five…” Daphne corrected as she pretended to be interested on one of the buttons on her shirt.

“So Brazil was on your list?” Alex asked.

“Yeah, I got to learn Samba… it was a very nice experience. Just like Peru and Mexico.” She said.

“I’m sure you got to experience it better than when we went… we got mobbed by fans it was crazy. What else do you have on that list?”

“Many things…” she said arching her eyebrow. “We should head back,” she said standing up and stretching her hand to him to help him up.

“Thanks,” he said as he stood up. He jumped a little when George climbed up to his shoulder hugging his face. “Awe George is starting to like me.”

“I think he’s definitely warming up to you.” Daphne said as she picked up everything and put it back to the basket she had brought them in.

********

It was dark when they had finally arrived to her house. She turned off the engine and gave Alex warm smile. “Sorry for making you skip a day from work. You should stay away from me I am bad influence.”

“I chose to follow…” he chuckled. “I think I am more of a bad influence than you.”

“Don’t try to live up to what people think you are… we all know your not like they paint you to be.” Daphne said. “Well thank you for accepting my invitation then maybe next time you can go with Rochelle. Hopefully by then you can actually ride a horse… not just sit there and watch only.”

“I bet Rochelle would like to go there…” Alex said smiling as he for the first time thought about his fiancée in the whole day.

“Who the fuck is that?” Daphne asked as she squinted toward her porch catching the figure of someone in the dim light of her front porch.

“Maybe we should call security.” Alex said.

“No…” Daphne gasped as she saw the figure clearer. “It’s my brother.” She opened the door and ran into the arms of the man. “Everett.” She squealed.

“Daph…” Everett said hugging her. He let her go when someone cleared there throat. “Who’s that?”

“Oh right… Everett this is my neighbor Alex.” Daphne said pointing to Alex.

“Hi,” Alex said walking up to him and extended his hand.

Everett took his hand and shook it. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here, I should head back to my house. I’ll see you around Daphne and thanks again for today.” Alex said as he turned to walk toward his house.


He was smiling as he sat in his porch smoking, he could hear Daphne and her brother giggling and laughing. He didn’t know how long he was there… but then the laughs turned into arguments. He realized Daphne was beyond angry something he just couldn’t picture from her. “Maybe I should go see if she’s ok.” He told himself as he began to walk toward the fence.

He was almost there when he stopped in his tracks to hear what was being said. “Daph… I am not leaving without you. Mom is worried.”

“No,” Daphne said with gritted teeth. “I want to do this… I’m fine. I told her I would call when it was time…”

“Daph maybe you won’t even have time to call. You don’t have a set time to…” Everett stopped talking when he saw the shadow of Daphne’s neighbor. He pointed toward him and Daphne turned to see him.

Alex cleared his throat, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to interrupt but I think I must have left my wallet in your car. “I couldn’t find it maybe it fell in there.”

Daphne cleared her throat, “Oh let me check.”