- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm on a roll today... two chapters today. I do hope to get some opinions here. Enjoy.
Daphne walked toward the window and drew the blind shut… she didn’t want to see the sunlight today. She stared at herself she was paler than normal. She shivered and she saw the sweat around her forehead. “Ugh,” she said as she walked to the medicine cabinet in her restroom.

“You ok?” Everett asked as he walked into her room. “Oh my god you look really bad… maybe we should take you to the hospital.”

“No, its just part of my illness… it will pass. My oncologist can’t do more… besides I’ll see him in two days for my treatment.” Daphne said as she downed her pills.

“Daph just come home we miss you and want to be with you.” Everett said.

“Everett please….” Daphne said walking to him and hugging him. “I can’t I want to do this…. I spent my first six years with all of you… just hoping it would go away. It didn’t now I just want to enjoy whatever I have left… let me have that.”

“Maybe I should stay with you or mom could come down here.” Everett said.

“NO!” Daphne said. “Most of the time I am fine… its rare when I get like this and well after therapy I look like shit too.” She gave him a weak smile. “I just need to rest… will you just feed George for me? I should be fine just give me a couple of hours of sleep. Then we’ll go out… before you head back home.” She said sternly.

“Hey is your neighbor who I think it is?” he asked as Daphne made it back to her bed.

“You know me to well…” She said giving him a weak smile.

Everett shook his head and smiled, “Daph you can’t make him fall in love with you… besides I thought you said he was engaged.”

“I know… I gave up on that long time ago. It’s more complicated than that.” She told him. “I just want to get to know the real him…”

“Your only hurting yourself Daph.” Everett said.

“No… I am not I am helping someone. Don’t worry about me Everett I have nothing else to loose…”

********

Alex groaned as he saw the clock. His phone ringing too… “Hello.” He said as he sat up.

“Hey you… I miss you.” Rochelle’s voice floated through the phone.

“Hey Monkee…” Alex said yawning. “I miss you more.”

“So I finally got my niece to accept to be the flower girl… she is going to look so cute.” Rochelle gushed, her smile evident with the tone of her voice.

“That’s great… about the wedding do you still need to meet the wedding planner for you tomorrow?” Alex asked.

“Yes she knows your going to be there instead of me. Oh and FYI remember she is a fan so try not to smile at her too much she might faint or something.” Rochelle giggled.

“Ok I won’t,” Alex chuckled. “Or maybe I can take Nick with me for a better distraction.” He said smiling evilly.

“No you won’t get done with anything if you do that!” Rochelle said.

“True… babe I have to let you. I just woke up and I need a shower. I want to head to the studio to work Death of Adam…” he said as he saw the time.

“Yeah ok, I just wanted to hear your voice.” Rochelle said.

“You beat me to calling… I love you,” he said.

“Love you more.” Rochelle said before making a kissing noise.

Alex only smiled and sighed, “bye my Monkee.” He said and then she was gone. He got up and headed for the well deserved shower.

*********

Alex turned off the engine to his car and as he got out of the garage he looked toward her house. It looked so lonely, he hadn’t seen her all day. Or maybe it was just because he had left most of the day to the studio.

He smiled as he remembered her smile a very contagious smile. He turned to walk into his house. That’s when he saw Everett her brother get into the smart and drive away.

He shrugged and went inside… after preparing himself a sandwich he turned on the TV. He still couldn’t help but wonder what they were arguing about the night before. He knew it was none of his business… but that still didn’t mean he wasn’t curious.

He sighed when he felt one of his dogs paw on his leg, “Potty time,” he said standing up and opening the door for them. He smiled as he saw them run free.

He heard the car come back in and curiosity got the best of him so he went to the front of the house to peek. He was back with a bag; he opened the door and out came George. He chuckled when he heard Everett curse, “Stupid monkey get your ass back in here.”

But George was up and on the roof of the porch. That’s when he saw Daphne come out wrapped in a blanket her hair a mess, “George come to mommy.” She called but George was just shaking his head.

He watched her shrug but it looked like it was causing her pain. “Just I’ll leave my window open he’ll get in later.” He heard Daphne say as she walked back in closing the door.

*********

Alex was sleeping on the couch when he felt the tap on his window. He jumped started and then he heard it again. He looked out of it and smiled when he saw George smiling at him. “George what are you doing here?” he asked as he opened the window and George came in like it was his house.

He chuckled as he followed the monkey to the kitchen and to the fruit picking a banana. He handed it to him and he took it, “Your mommy ran out to bananas?” he asked as he peeled the banana for him.

Just as he took the banana he began to scream as Alex’s dogs came barging in barking. George was quick though and was now on the tall counter making farting noises toward the dogs. “NO down boys,” Alex said grabbing both of his dogs from the collar and taking them out of the kitchen and into a room.

When he came back George was trying to bite through another banana. He smiled and took away from him. “Here let me do it, now come on let me take you back to your owner.” He said patting his shoulder and with that George was on his shoulder with his freshly peeled banana.

“You know you sort of reek you eat too many bananas you know.” Alex chuckled as he saw that didn’t faze the monkey.

He walked to the house and through the gate it was still open. He sighed as he walked up the stairs and rang the bell. He waited for a while before Everett appeared. “Yes?” he asked. He looked annoyed and worried.

“Uhm he sort of came into my house… I was merely returning him back.” Alex said as he pointed to the monkey on his shoulder.

“Oh well thank you.” Everett said as he looked at George. “Get in here you little menace.”

George only shook his head and held his grip on Alex. “Who is it?” Daphne voice was heard. But she did not show up.

“Your neighbor with George,” Everett said.

“OH thank you… Georgey come to mommy.” Daphne said from far and with that George jumped off his shoulder and followed the voice.

“Is she ok?” Alex asked.

“Yeah she is… just allergies.” Everett said defensively.

“Oh well tell her I hope she feels better.” Alex said as he retreated. Why was Everett so upset?