- Text Size +
They were on the dance floor giving every man in the club their money's worth. Alyssa was their ticket to free drinks all night. They generally bought the first ones and Alyssa would play with the straw and flirt with her eyes before reeling them in with the come hither finger motion. The lick of the lips is usually all it took though. The guys would buy them drinks, get a couple of dances and then Alyssa would move onto the next victim but there was something different going on tonight. The whole screw men thing flew right out the window the minute she set eyes on him. Skylar knew it was useless to talk her out of this one. He was cute in an untraditional way. Okay, not that even. He just wasn't Skylar's type. She liked 'em long and strong. Her motto was he has to be at least six foot to ride this ride. It always cracked Alyssa up."Go."
"What?" Alyssa turned around to face Skylar.
"Go. That guy is like eating you up and I'm not standing in the way this time. He's available and wants you."
"But what about?"
"I live with you Alyssa. I don't want you to be mopey for the next two weeks because you might have had a chance at true love. Now go before he finds somebody else."
"I love you!" She hugged Skylar and left the dance floor. There he was.She usually went for the metrosexuals but he was so cute. Rock group T-shirt under a black short sleeve shirt loosely hanging opened. He wrapped it up with a pair of blue jeans. Big, crystal blue eyes met hers as she approached.
"I like the way you dance," he said and smiled.
"Isn't that every man's fantasy?"
"No. Every man's fantasy would be to be sandwiched between that."
"Oh." She nodded with an amused smile.
"I just blew it didn't I?" He diverted his eyes to the floor then cautiously raised his gaze back to hers.
"No. I like an honest man. I'm Alyssa."
"Mark. So can I buy you a drink?"
"I'd say yes but I think I've had way too much as it is already tonight."
"Now you hurt my feelings."
"Something tells me you'll recover."
He sighed and turned to the bar; setting his bottle of beer on countertop." I don't know. I've had a lot of women turn me down tonight but you might just break my heart if you say no."
She reached over and grabbed the bottle; taking a swig before responding to him." I thought I was the one that was supposed to play hard to get."
"You are playing hard to get. You still haven't let me buy you that drink." Brushing the bangs away from his face. His jet black hair hung just below his ears with a slight wave to it.
"You aren't gonna give up are you?"
"Not until you say yes."
She bit her lip then replied,"I'll have a tequilla sunrise then."
"So you and your friend come here often? "He said as he beckoned the bartender with a nod of his head.
"Every couple of months or when there's a really hot DJ."
"As in?"
"As in one of the best in the country."Alyssa giggled.
"So tonight?"
"Tonight was supposed to be girl's night out."
"So what happened?"
"You," she flirted as the bartender approached.
After he'd taken the order, Mark leaned up off the counter."So are you gonna take me home and use me like all the rest of them?"
"Who?"
"That long line of broken hearts rippling down the coast of Cali."
"How are you so sure they didn't break mine?"
"Because any man in his right mind wouldn't leave a woman as beautiful as you."
"So maybe I broke a few but I'm sure a few have been crushed by you."
"I plead the fifth." He smiled and took a swig of his drink as he leaned his elbows on the bar.
"Law student?"
"Nah. I just watch a lot of law shows."
"So do I but it doesn't make me an expert,"Alyssa teased as the bartender returned with her drink.
"Ouch!" He said; feigning heartbreak before he paid the bartender.
After taking a sip of her drink from the straw, she said," So tell me what your favorite one is."
"I have a couple but Criminal Minds is my top. Yours?"
"Law and Order:SVU but Criminal Minds is second."
"That's a good one too."
The DJ started playing a dance mix of NSYNC's Pop and Alyssa started moving to the beat.
"You like this stuff?"
"What?"
"Boybands."
"And how would you know this is a boyband?"
"Lucky guess,"he replied as he nonchalantly took a drag of his beer.
"You're not gettin off that easy."
"Fine. I used to work for one of them."
"Used to?" Alyssa raised her brow discerningly.
"I work for a different one now."
"So are you gonna tell me which one?"
"Someday maybe."
"I'll give you that. So are we gonna stand here and drink all night or are you gonna show me some moves?"
"Well I have learned some over the years, I guess I could show you how to do it."
"Bring it on baby."


He ended up being the perfect gentleman all night. The dancing; close but not too close. The walk on the beach; hand in hand and barefoot. Watching the sunrise with his arms wrapped around her; priceless. She knew it had to end but if it was as picture perfect a night as she could have only dreamed up then there would be more where that came from. He walked her to the door and took her hand.
"Can I tell you something?"
"Anything."
"I've never spent the night with a woman and not been...y'know."
"You're gonna get shy on me now?"
" A little maybe."
"Did you expect to get lucky?"
"Yeah."
"Then I don't think any less of you. You've been honest with me so far. All that matters is what happens."
"Then would I be too forward in inviting myself in for a cup of coffee?"
" A little but my roommate's probably pissed to high heaven for ditching her last night."
"Oh yeah."
"Yeah. I'll have to smooth things over before we talk about you coming in."
"So there is going to be a next time."
"I was just waiting for you to ask. You have your cell handy?"
Fishing through his pockets, he found what he needed. "Hold on one second."
"What?"
"Let me take your picture so when you call, I can see your gorgeous face smiling at me."
"Boy that shy guy wore off real quick."
"Smile."
"I look a mess."
"You look beautiful. Now smile."
She didn't know what it was about his charm but she gave in. After he snapped it and hit save, he turned the phone to her."See. Windblown and all, you're still the most beautiful girl in the world."
"Okay Romeo, let me put my number in now." Snatching the phone from him and pulling up the contact list. After she added her information and hit save, she handed it back over.
"So when am I gonna see you again?"
"That depends on you."
"I'm gonna miss you."
"Then don't follow the three day rule,"Alyssa teased then softly pecked him on the cheek." Goodnight."
"Goodnight."Sure he was disappointed but she was so different from every other girl he'd gone out with, he wasn't about to screw it up with something as simple as a goodbye kiss. He'd see her soon enough.
Alyssa watched as he pulled out of the drive before turning around and unlocking the door. Once in, she leaned against it and grinned.
"Glad you had a good time. I was worried sick about you,"Skylar scolded. "You do know how to pick up your phone don't you?!"
"Sky. I'm so sorry. I really am. I was just having a good time. I forgot. It won't happen again." Hey! wait a minute! It was seven in the morning and she was up?! Oh no! She wasn't getting away with that as her friend stormed away."Get your ass back here now."
"What?!"
"Don't you dare read me the riot act lady! I had a lovely evening and you know how to pick up a damn phone to call me too. It's a neat little thing called a cell phone. I think you have one. If you were so goddam worried about me, why didn't you call?! My phone was on all night and I checked it a couple of times. I might have been having a good time but you're not my Mother!" And there it was as Skylar had traveled down the hall toward her room. The loudest snore you ever heard in your life.
"Shut the fuck up!" She whispered and pointed to her conquest sprawled out clean acrossed her bed. No wonder she was out here. There was no room left for her."Ain't he cute!"
The sheet covered what needed to be covered but from what she could see, boy was tall enough to ride the ride."Yeah but he snores like a foghorn."
"I know but fuck he's good. Big, blonde and stupid. Just the way I like 'em."
"Don't you want some romance in your life?" As they walked away from the room.
"Eventually but right now I'm having fun. I'm sorry about that. I just get jealous of how easy guys fall at your feet sometimes."
"I wished they didn't sometimes but there's something about him. He was the perfect gentleman all night."
"He didn't even try to kiss you goodnight?"
"He wanted to but I pecked him on the cheek and sent him on his way."
"I'd be careful."
"Why do you think I didn't let him kiss me goodnight?"Alyssa grinned as they approached her bedroom door.
"You're bad."
"I know but you love me anyway. Goodnight girlie."
They heard a thud as they hugged each other."Oh shit. He's up. I'll give ya all the horny details later."
"Looking forward to it." Alyssa smiled and closed her bedroom door. She slipped out of her flats and heard her text alert go off. She reached in and found the phone. She tossed her purse on the dresser and opened up the phone. "Miss you already. A lil something for you so you won't forget my face." She pulled up the picture of his smiling face and saved it to her phone along with his number. She'd put the song in later. She'd had some major flops recently but this was gonna be good. She just knew it.