- Text Size +
Alyssa picked up her cell phone when the NSYNC ringtone went off."Hey honey!"
"Hey babe. Sorry I'm running late again. I'm like five minutes away. I promise. Love you."
"Love you too. See you soon." Flipping the phone shut. She sighed heavily and plopped into the chair big plush couch.
"Late again?" Skylar looked up from the TV.
Alyssa nodded as she blankly stared at the TV.
"It doesn't bother you that he's always late?"
"He's not always late."
"No. Just for the last couple of weeks."
"Sky, I know you don't like him but don't start pulling out the 'did you ever stop to think he might be cheating on you' card out again because I know it's what you're thinking."
"It's what you should be thinking lady."
"Because he works odd hours? Oh yeah, I forget. They can't all be perfect like the ones you bring home. That doofy blonde you brought home a few months ago was a real winner."
"He was just for fun. I only watch out for you because you get into relationships. When I start to get serious about a guy again, you can interfere all you want."
"Whatever." Alyssa rolled her eyes and turned back to the TV.
"So what are you guys doing today?"
"We're going to a barbeque/ pool party. The people he works with he told me."
"I see."
"So what are you doing this lovely Saturday afternoon girlie?"
"Just chillin, hangin out, maybe play on my computer for awhile. Real party there huh?"
"It's fun if it's all you want to do. Sometimes I just like to hang out and play on the comp."
"Doesn't loverboy usually IM you though?"
"Yeah but what fun is it if you have a boyfriend and can't cyber with him?"
"Alyssa!"
"God Skylar! It's not like I'm sharing a bed with him. He's still using his own hand."
"That's just plain mean 'Lys." But I like it.
"I'm gonna go freshen up just a bit and make sure I got everything again."She rose from the couch and went into the kitchen where her things were setting on the table. Just then, then the doorbell rang. "Could you grab that please Sky?"
"Sure." She tried to be nice to the guy but there was a certain arrogance about Mark she just didn't care for. Something didn't feel right. She opened the door." Good to see you Skylar."
Wish I could say the same. "She's in the kitchen."
"Thank you,"he said as Skylar stepped aside to let him in. He was sure that if the girl had her choice, there'd be no way in hell Alyssa would even be dating him but he played nice for Alyssa's sake. He turned back once the door was closed."Skylar?"
"Yeah?"
"I know you don't like me very much but I was thinking maybe you'd like to come along with us today."
"I don't like you. Why would I want to?"
"I'm not asking you to be a third wheel. I have a friend that just seperated from his wife not too long ago and I think he would be perfect for you. If not, it's a party and free food."
Why was he being so nice? Did she really want to get into the inner workings of this guy's mind? Hell no! but free food and drink were always welcome. If not his friend, maybe there would be a guy anyway."Sure. 'Lys said it was a pool party too?"
"Yeah."
"Let me go grab a suit and stuff and I'll be right out."
"You're a good friend."
"Just one thing though,"Skylar got closer to him(much as it repulsed her) and softly threatened," being a good friend means if you break her heart, I break your balls." And stepped back."We good?"
"I understand. Kitchen right?"
"Yeah. Be out in a few." Whimp.
"What was that all about?" Alyssa came into the entryway.
" Skylar's gonna join us. I've got a friend that I'm gonna try and set her up with."
"Is he a good guy?"
"I think so but enough about him, have I told you how beautiful you look today?" Slipping his arms around her waist.
"Not yet but thank you." She slid her arms around his neck and softly kissed him.
"I do love your kisses."
"Well you ain't so bad there yourself mister."
Skylar cleared her throat."Ready?"
"Yeah. Let me just grab my bag." Turning around to find Skylar had already retrieved it. "Let's get going then."


Only trouble was Skylar's 'date' didn't arrive quite on time as Skylar had hoped so she was forced to spend time with dipshit and her friend. She loved her friend but she could only play nice for so long. Luckily it was only an hour and the guy showed up.
"Come on Skylar. I just found him. Can you wait here for a minute babe?" Mark adressed Alyssa.
"Yeah. Sure," Alyssa replied as she absently pecked him on the cheek.
"See ya later 'Lys."
She nodded to her friend as they headed across the lawn toward him. Their eyes met and the whole world disappeared. It was happening again. That same twittery feeling she had in her stomach the first time they laid eyes on each other. Shit! Her timing was so off it wasn't even funny.
He couldn't believe his eyes. It was her again. He'd know those eyes anywhere but was she doing here? Did it really matter? They'd been given another chance. Or so he thought.
"Yo Bri!" Mark caught his attention."Trying to snatch my girl already?"
"That's your girlfriend?" Dragging his attention away from her only in sight.
"Yeah. Listen, I'd like you to meet her friend, Skylar. Skylar this is Brian."
"Nice to meet you Brian."
"Well I'll just leave you two to get to know each other,"Mark said and disappeared.
"I take it you don't like Mark?" Brian raised his brow.
" Love him to death. He's the greatest guy in the world,"Skylar returned sarcastically.
"I don't blame ya. I wouldn't want any friend of mine dating him."
"Really?" Skylar's interest piqued quite quickly.
"He's been known as our on road casanova."
"And I thought the band members got the groupies."
"According to my soon to be ex you don't."
"She's stupid then."
"Thank you. I think so too."
"Is that why you were late?"
"A little bit yeah. She didn't want to take our boy for the night and it was her turn anyway but enough about me."
"No. I'm interested. What happened?"
"Well about three months ago, I planned a Birthday dinner for her and she acted like I'd never seen her before in all of our ten years of marriage and come to find out the reason she made a big stink was to distract me from the fact that she was sleeping with her personal trainer."
"Ouch!"
"I know."
"Excuse me. Bri, introduce me to your friend,"the tall blonde intruded on their intimate conversation.
"Well I just met her but Skylar right?"
She nodded.
"Skylar this is Nick."
"Nice to meet you. I know this is gonna sound really corny but I think we've met before,"Nick said.
"I think I'd remember meeting somebody as cute as you." She played dumb as he was the big, dumb blonde that had been in her bed three months earlier.
"What am I? Chopped liver?" Brian pouted.
"Aw Brian, you're adorable too,"Nick teased.
"Would you excuse me for just a minute though?"
"Sure,"Brian said.
Skylar tapped Alyssa on the shoulder and looked at Mark."I'm stealing your girlfriend for a minute."
"Fine."
As soon as there was distance between them." What's going on?" Alyssa said.
"The blonde over there,"Skylar nodded toward the pair but all Alyssa could focus on was the other one. The one that was supposed to be for Skylar but should be hers.
"The blonde?"
"The tall goofy looking one?"
"Oh. You mean Nick?"
"You know him?"
"Mark introduced us about five minutes ago so I know of him. He was that big, goofy looking one you brought home the night I met Mark isn't he?"
"Yeah."
"Does he know?"
"I played dumb."
"You make a great pair. I think he uses the blonde thing to his advantage."
"You're funny. Just make sure you don't let it slip if you happen to cross paths again today okay?"
"Okay. I won't but this is too good. Have fun!"


The next morning Alyssa stumbled out of her room and toward the aroma of fresh coffee brewing in the kitchen. The flimsy robe barely covered her as her eyes popped open to the pair making out against the kitchen counter. Attempting to avoid them, she went around the island and to the cabinet holding the coffee mugs. She felt a little weird because her eyes returned to the scene as his hand slipped around Sky's butt. At that she turned back to the coffee pot and poured her cup. Shit! the creamer was in the refrigerator and they were blocking it but whether she sensed it or whatever, Skylar had noticed her friend. He looked over at her; bare chest and all. At least he was wearing his shorts from yesterday. How did she do it?
"Alyssa right?" Nick said.
"Yeah."She nodded shyly.
"Sorry. We didn't think you'd be here this morning."
"We're all grown ups. Skylar. A minute please?"
"Sure. Be back shortly,"She said and kissed him before following Alyssa out of the kitchen and hearing distance.
"The boybander. Really? What happened to the other guy?"
"He's nice but he's not my type. Not for a romantic relationship anyway."
"You amaze me."
"I know. Learn anything?"
"I learned that I like to watch."
"Alyssa! You Ho!"
"Oh please. I just haven't had any for awhile is all."
"You have a man. Why don't you?"
"Because I want to make sure he's not around just to get some."
"Gotcha."
"Listen. I'm gonna go grab my coffee and finish fixing it up and you and your boytoy can do whatever you want while I enjoy it on the deck."
"Us or the coffee?"
"Oh that is just sick Sky. Just do what you gotta. I'm gonna be on the deck. Join me after you're done."
"Will do lady."
After fixing her coffee, she retired to the deck and sipped the refreshing brew but all she could think about was Nick's friend. The one she should be with. The one she never got to meet.